Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > g4 cube HD

g4 cube HD
sandman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2001, 01:43 PM

I bought a G4 Cube 500 in August 2000. Since then the HD or whatever else in there is churning has become progressively loud. And as I sit here in silence, which is rare because I usually listen to music, I'm realizing that it has gotten pretty bad. What are the chances of Apple replacing whatever needs to be replaced on this old of a machine?

Thanks.
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

jfdonahue
Dec 28, 2001, 02:58 PM

Your chances are slim to none. The Cube is out of warranty (unless you bought Applecare), and I doubt your warranty would cover noise level anyway. If you are looking for a real quiet hard drive, I just put a 40 gig Seagate Barracuda in my Cube. This drive is real silent. I would be opted for a bigger drive, but this was the biggest single platter Seagate drive I could find. I figured two platters would make more noise than one.

sandman  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2001, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by jfdonahue:
<STRONG>Your chances are slim to none. The Cube is out of warranty (unless you bought Applecare), and I doubt your warranty would cover noise level anyway. If you are looking for a real quiet hard drive, I just put a 40 gig Seagate Barracuda in my Cube. This drive is real silent. I would be opted for a bigger drive, but this was the biggest single platter Seagate drive I could find. I figured two platters would make more noise than one.</STRONG>
What model number is your new drive?
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2001, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by sandman:
<STRONG>

What model number is your new drive?</STRONG>
For an excellent run down of replacement Cube hard drives, check out the drive compatibility database at www.xlr8yourmac.com Just select Cube and hard drive before you do the search. There must be several dozen listed. I bought a 7200rpm 100gig Western Digital last month for my Cube. Works great!........joe

j3kyll
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2001, 06:35 PM

Same here, Deskstar sux dogs balls.

Barracuda ATA IV ST340016A
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard.

j3kyll
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2001, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by joe:
<STRONG>

For an excellent run down of replacement Cube hard drives, check out the drive compatibility database at www.xlr8yourmac.com Just select Cube and hard drive before you do the search. There must be several dozen listed. I bought a 7200rpm 100gig Western Digital last month for my Cube. Works great!........joe</STRONG>
Nope, don't bother, the Seagate Barracuda is the quietest drive on the market. (Deskstar = 3.1 bells, Seagate = 2 bells -&gt; idle) Also they are much cooler because of fewer platters/heads.
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2001, 06:51 PM

Make sure not to get a 7200 RPM drive. It might generate too much heat and damage your G4 Cube.

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2001, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>Make sure not to get a 7200 RPM drive. It might generate too much heat and damage your G4 Cube.</STRONG>
Or it might not. My 7200rpm Western Digital runs quiet and cool. And mine is a Radeon Cube (500Mhz) - hotter than most. Maybe your negative experience is with older model 7200rpm drives? It's possible the latest 7200rpm drives run cooler and quieter.........joe

Cipher13
Dec 28, 2001, 07:58 PM

A 7200 rpm drive is fine for a Cube.

I also recommend the Seagate Barracuda IV.

Macanoid
Senior User
Dec 29, 2001, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by sandman:
<STRONG>I bought a G4 Cube 500 in August 2000. Since then the HD or whatever else in there is churning has become progressively loud. And as I sit here in silence, which is rare because I usually listen to music, I'm realizing that it has gotten pretty bad. What are the chances of Apple replacing whatever needs to be replaced on this old of a machine?

Thanks.</STRONG>
I don't want to get you too worried, but I bought my Cube around the same time, and had the same noise problem as you. Just as I was thinking of doing something about it, my HD died completely I lost everything because it could not be repaired and I had no backups.
So, whatever you do, make backups first, now that it's still working, and worry about the noise or a replacement HD later!!

My new HD, a Maxtor 60Gb 7200 rpm, was replaced within the week (way too much noise, and my current HD, an IBM Deskstar, is not to quiet either - irritates the hell out of me. Might just follow everyone's advice and get a Barracuda.

Good luck with you HD problem.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Macanoid ]

you_are_right
Dec 29, 2001, 07:38 PM

Have a Barracuda IV 40GB in my Cube 450 MHz with a Radeon graphic card. Works without any problems. Tested several 7200 rpm IDE drives, also in external fire wire enclosures. Regarding the (not) generated noise - the Barracuda is in a league of its own. Get it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules