Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dirt on display frame

Dirt on display frame
morris
Jun 27, 2000, 05:29 AM

I'm the owner of an iBook SE, and I have noticed that around the display, under the plastic cover but in front of that silver-coloured metal are small dark pieces of dirt, especially on the top part of the frame.

Does anybody else have similar experiences, and is there any way I can remove it?

Axel Andersson

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2000, 10:05 AM

No. I've never seen dirt in the display frame before.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to crack open the LCD screen, which will void your warranty. Apple won't do it for you, because it's not a performance issue, and too much of a hassle for cosmetics.

If you were to "accidentally" break your LCD, well...

(get your hopes up...)

...it's called W-A-R-R-A-N-T-Y F-R-A-U-D.

Hey, maybe you can vacumn your LCD panel's cracks...

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2000, 10:29 AM

suggesting to a person that they break their Mac in order to get warranty service is completely inappropriate, and i trust you will refrain from doing this and other similar practices in the future

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 06-27-2000).]

thetick
Jun 27, 2000, 11:28 AM

I have an ibook SE as well and I've noticed the same thing. I convinced myself not to worry since I only know about it because the case is translucent. Other computers/monitors probably have similar problems, but we just don't know about it! Stands to reason, right?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2000, 11:58 AM

Lon, my intent was to steer him away from breaking his LCD. I never meant for him to break his LCD in order for it to be replaced in order to have a clean screen, excuse the rhyme.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

muni
Jun 27, 2000, 12:16 PM

i've had the same problem, although not too badly. even with the dirt, though, it still such a beautiful piece of hardware that i can't complain.

michaelo
Jun 27, 2000, 01:24 PM

me too. this began happening very soon after receiving my ibook se. i actually opened the case to see what was going on. it appears to be some type of reaction between the metal sheilding and the plastic case. i could be wrong.

i tried to clean the marks but they would not be removed. i didn't try anything very abrasive or caustic to do the cleaning because i didn't want to make it worse. a friend of mine also noticed these spots in a store display model which i imagine doesn't get moved around very much (i take mine back and forth to work every day). i'm also wondering if it has something to do with the ibook taking pressure on the nose. i carry mine around in a bag so when i set the bag down the ibook must be taking some force. perhaps some type of abrasion occurs between the plastic and metal sheilding.

i'm quite annoyed with this but what can we do? apple ****ed up a little i think. but i still love my ibook. also i'm glad not to be the only one.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2000, 01:54 PM

well i'm holding my breath as i type this on my iBook keyboard...

it has not happened to mine... revA blooburry

glogarza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2000, 03:33 PM

I bought my ibook SE in February and notice what looked like mold specs to me a few weeks later.

Glad to know it is dirt. It is very annoying but at least know I know what it is now (dirt) and that there isn't to much to be done about it.

largo
Jun 27, 2000, 04:27 PM

i've got the same thing on my ibook. i'm not too worried about it, since they've been able to open simpletext and type into it (i'm assuming through appleevents) and let me know that they're friendly, and simply seeking a change of pace from the mitsubishi and sony monitors they've been living in before. they also think the ibook keyboard is pretty neat. i dunno about that...

Sparky420
Jun 27, 2000, 04:35 PM

Odd that it seems only to be iBook SE's. I've noticed the same thibg but attributed it to ashes...

kcm3
Jun 27, 2000, 05:01 PM

I too have an iBook SE, and have some dirt buildup around the top right corner of my display. Bugs the hell out of me. I've thought about cracking it open to clean it, but haven't tried yet.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2000, 05:17 PM

Well, if you look along the top of the iBook screen where the colored rubber meets the white plastic (just above the "iBook" logo, you should see a very small space. I would guess it's possible for dirt to slip in there. I don't have any "marks" by the screen, but I've noticed some dirt that's slipped between the clear outer plastic and white inner plastic/metal (whatever it is). It seems to slip in through the space around the trackpad button. I currently have a small hair or eye lash to the bottom right of the trackpad that i'm working on...

m*ch
Jun 27, 2000, 07:43 PM

I have these brown specs too, upper right, above the sceen across from the iBook logo. Also, one above the keyboard to the right of the speaker. Tangerine iBook. Wonder what they are?

ibookmark
Jun 27, 2000, 11:03 PM

I too have an ibook se and noticed the specs shortly after receiving it. I just try to ignore it but some days....
Anyway I thought I would also chime in.

jchan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2000, 04:18 AM

my iBook SE "dirt" marks are on the topside of the lid, underneath the rubber. I noticed it immediately after taking it out of the box. I meant to exchange it for another, but had to go on a trip and use it right away--I should have went with my gut feeling at the store and took it out of the multiple boxes to check it out first, but I had a flight to catch. oh well.

[This message has been edited by jchan (edited 06-28-2000).]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2000, 09:25 PM

Remember that, if you do anything to void your warranty or break your Mac, MacNN absolutely does not reccomend such a process, and cannot be held liable for damages that may occur.

pkjackson
Jun 29, 2000, 05:47 AM

I have an iBook SE with the "dirt" around the top and sides of the screen. I noticed it right away when I first bought it.
Has anyone tried to call Apple about this problem??
If so, what did they say?

iMan
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2000, 01:41 PM

Hello All,

I have noticed dirt in my iBook SE also
On top of it under the rubber were ur supposed to open it. On the top of it i can see some dirt threw the plastic. On the insider of it at the top where the monitor is i also found dirt specs. it makes me mad that i spent my money on a laptop and it has dirt in it. i sent it to apple care and they woudln't do anything about it. so i am gonna try to call and talk to someone and raise some HELL!!!!!!!
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

LY
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2000, 06:12 PM

Yes, we have dirt/dust specs around our ibook se!
I called Apple about the dirt/dust specs about a month ago and the person on the phone was not very helpful, basically telling me it was probably my doing because where (the factory/room) the ibooks are assembled it is spotless and sterile.
I told him that my ibook was always kept in a case when not used and could not figure out where
any dirt could get in if it was indeed my fault. Also, my daughter has never been on her ibook in the middle of a duststorm outside.
I was hoping to send it in to get it cleaned since I bought it at Sears and bought the maintenance agreement too. Guess technically Sears is supposed to send it off to Apple since Apple is the only ones that are allowed to work on ibooks/powerbks.
After speaking to Apple, thought the guy was borderline rude, not very helpful. Left a bad taste in my mouth about Apple's customer service.

Peter Siu
Jul 1, 2000, 12:59 AM

Look like this only happens to SE iBook. I've had my blueberry iBook for more than 5 months now, and I see no dirt as some point out here.

Apple should fix this, for they should have checked this before making SE iBook available (QC).

Peter

Lertsiri B.
Jul 1, 2000, 12:25 PM

Nope! My Blueberry iBook Rev B. also has the specs on teh top right of the screen frame. It started around the same time as the first message of this forum was being sent into the web. What a phreak incident. Anyways, I used to have it on the old Rev. A iBook and I had it cleaned by the Apple center in Singapore when I sent it in for Crack repairs. Now, the iBook doesn't crack, which is good! But how will I ever get the service crew from Apple to clean the dirt! Well, guess I gotta get use to it.

LY
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2000, 10:16 AM

Over the weekend a friend who used to work for Apple looked at my ibook and wedged a piece of paper in btwn the screen and the plastic frame...Looks like that is where the 'dirt' is getting in!

jchan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2000, 07:41 PM

Hmm. following LY's exploration of sticking a piece if paper into the frame of the monitor, I experimented by sticking in a Posti-It note to try to pull out the dirt. I managed to get most of it out, but I also smeared some of it around. Hmm. not sure if it looks better now or before.

I'm sure some of this dirt was already there when I bought my ibookSE, but some of the stuff around the inside of the monitor frame built up. My guess is that the dust and dirt that clings onto the monitor (through static?) when the machine is on is released when we hold the machines by the handles and start walking around.

-j

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2000, 03:46 PM

jchan,
Some of what you're saying makes sense..but I also have the dirt "dots" around my screen's frame (and now a little yellow speck to the right of my return key, right on the edge where the metallic shielding ends next to the clear part next to the CD tray...However, I do not think that the dirt on the frame embeds due to being carried around by the handle, because I never..and I mean NEVER carry the iBook by its handle because I was/am worried about cracks (which STILL seem to have developed..about 3). Now that I'm looking at the computer..I seem to have a line of the dirt specks on the right hand bottom side below my screen..check to see if you all have any..I have it primarily in a one inch section under the right hand side screw that is inside the computer (not the Torx screw on the outside)...Another thing I'd like iBook SE owners to check for..my apple under the screen seems to make the screen frame protrude out from the LCD almost making the frame "bulge"..and b/c of this, I have approximately 14 teeny cracks all around the apple leaf and some around the apple itself. The cracks are in the clear, not the graphite..Is this something that Apple will fix, does anyone know?
Thanks,
Josh
PS-I've had the iBook SE since 3/17, and I treat it like a baby, so these cracks are not from improper usage.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2000, 09:23 PM

Josh, about the handle... it should be OK to carry the iBook regardless of cracks in the handle's plastic because there is a steel rod running through there.. so, all the plastic could break away, but you'd still have the steel handle.. also, i too have about 4 VERY VERY small cracks around the apple logo under the screen (note.. this is on a blueberry iBook.. so this problem probably isn't exclusive to the graphite SE)

[This message has been edited by SupahCoolX (edited 07-06-2000).]

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2000, 03:40 AM

I have the same problem with dirt in the right hand corner of my screen with dirt collecting - bascially, when the warrenty in November runs out I'll be giving it a clean - any know where I can get a tool to undo the screws/bolts?

Cheers

penfold
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2000, 03:47 AM

righto, i have the tiny crack in the Apple logo between the body of the apple and the stem, just under the screen... doesn't bother me in the least

no display frame rot tho, nor any other ickies, this being a revA blooburry ibook

i enjoy using it, what can i say

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2000, 09:44 AM

Pen..The tool you're looking for for the screws around the bottom of the screen is a Torx Screwdriver. They come in many sizes..for my Nokia phone I needed a T-6 Torx, and I believe I read that the iBook uses a T-8. They screwdrivers are available at Sears, and you can buy them indidivually. They're (at least where I went) in large display cases in the Hardware Dept, and retail for a few bucks.
Good luck!
-Josh

LY
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2000, 12:38 PM

Has anyone else called Apple about this 'frame dirt'? And if so, what was their response?

joeaux
Jul 8, 2000, 10:11 AM

I waited to get my Rev. A until the Tangerine was out in quantity. I got it the day my local Apple dealer had them (that would be December of last year. I've kept it in a some kind of nice bag (just recently bought an iShuttle, great bag by the way). I don't have any kind of *spots* or dirt in mine. Umm. Of course I'm anal about keeping it clean. Get pissed if anyone but me touches it. As far as cracks in the plastic. Well I thought mine had cracks until I looked at many, many iBooks and they all have exactly the same *cracks*. They aren't cracks. They are imperfections in the plastic. And the handle cracks. I've seen them on other iBooks but mine hasn't done it (yet). Maybe 'cause I use a bag to carry it. And the handle has an aluminium bar in it, not steel.
-joe-

------------------
iMac (Lime 266 OS 9), iBook (Tangerine 300 OS 9), SE/30 (Platinum 16 OS 7.5.5)

Pantlegs
Jul 25, 2000, 08:27 PM

Actually, sir, the handle is neither steel or alluminum... It's Titanium.

I also have an iBook Special Edition, and the "dirt" will NOT come off if you remove the plastics and try to clean between the aluminum sheilding and the Lexon (plastic.)

It seems to be a certain type of stain resulting perhaps from an oxidation? I brought mine to an Apple Authorized Service Provider whom agreed to open the case with me, and it indeed will not come off.

I am currently talking to Apple Canada about this issue, however.

-Jamie

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2000, 03:40 AM

Thanks for the update Jamie..please keep us posted as to what Apple Canada has to say about this issue..
Thanks,
Josh =)

Jamie Pentland
Jul 27, 2000, 12:45 AM

Also, folks, please post any concerns to the Apple Discussions Board to spark interest by Apple...

They scan the linked board and respond accordingly to mass-problems often with a small study, then an appropriate solution. Perhaps if enough people complain, something could get done. Please post to the Apple Discussions area!!
http://discuss.info.apple.com/boards...9?OpenDocument

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2000, 08:32 PM

Anybody experiencing the dirt/staining who also smokes close to the screen - or works in a smoky environment? - thinking about the post which said it could be oxidation??
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2000, 08:40 PM

i smoke like a factory chimney and my ibook is clean... none of these strange marks on it

jw
Jul 29, 2000, 08:42 PM

My friend (honest, that's true), managed to spill about 2 tablespoons of black coffee into her ibook thru the slotty, grid area near the handle. It ran into the ibook , both top and bottom. We let it dry out, and it seems to have done no harm except aesthetically - it now looks like there is free dried coffee granules in there.
(1). Would apple know if we cracked the case open -if we did it without doing harm and didn't leave marks on the screws? (2). I am more leery about opening the monitor half - do you agree? -
but considered the lower - keyboard- half. In fact, i lifted out the keyboard, removed the three little screws which you can only see when the keyboard is out, but stopped there, not knowing quite how to proceed without doing possible damage. The white, inset top plastic (surrounding the keyboard) does not separate easily from the base. (3) Is there a trick to opening this lower case?
If it is easy to do, we might sneak in and clean out the coffee - and anyway the coffee presence might void the warranty??
By the way, my friend did take it to a repair place, but they said it would cost 280 to open the case on a portable!!!!

cjb2001
Jul 30, 2000, 02:44 AM

I have an iBook SE with the "dirt" around the top and sides of the screen. I noticed it right away when I first bought it in May.
I had a sound problem so I sent it in for repair yesterday and also mentioned the dirt to the apple technician. He told me he had never heard of this problem. Well I think not......after reading the posts regarding this problem I feel Apple should do something. The dirt is very annoying. I spent so much money and my ibook looks damaged.
A coworker of mine who is a "PC person" just laughed and said " Well ,what did you expect from Apple, I told you to buy a PC."

I should be receiving my I book Tuesday. I will keep you posted.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2000, 02:54 AM

hmm, would you care to tell me where this peecee person lives?

kidding, ok?

sorry that you (all who have this issue) have been embarassed/upset by this manufacturing defect and it is inexcusable for Apple to not rectify it immediately and that is no joke

Katin
Jul 31, 2000, 11:11 AM

My girlfriend's iBook SE has the "dirt" around the frame, at the top and along the right side. It showed up when her iBook was only about two weeks old, and seems to get worse over time. I tried the post-it-note trick, but without results - I couldn't get the paper to slide in to where the "dirt" is.

The substance reminds me of graphite in its looks and behaviour. Like a black, powdery substance. I speculate that it might come from the edges of the LCD screens, and is likely a manuafacturing issue at the LCD provider - since some of them "shed" this substance and some of them don't.

I also have an iBook SE, now three weeks old (I got mine about month after my girfriend got hers), and so far no signs of the "dirt".

LY
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2000, 11:56 AM

Went to the Apple boards and read that a Apple rep did say to give Apple a call re. this 'dirt' problem.
Has anyone else called Apple yet?
And if so, their response?

Ken A
Aug 1, 2000, 04:16 PM

Hi. I bought my iBook way back when they first came out (when you could only get blue). I too have noticed this "dirt" (but never thought of it as dirt before reading this board.) It's in the upper right hand corner of the frame and I have to no idea when it appeared. It is only visible from certain angles under certain lighting conditions. It looks more like something caused by moisture. (perhaps when Windexing the screen?) But, like someone else mentioned, who cares? You only know it's there because the computer is translucent! Just put a pretty sticker over the spot or something. (You all do decorate you iBooks, right?)

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2000, 04:39 PM

Ken..
You mention that maybe the specks are from moisture left from "windexing" the screen. I just wanted to let you know that you shouldn't use traditional glass cleaner on the iBook's LCD screen, beacuse over time the windex (along with alcohol and/or ammonia) can cause the screen to yellow and crack. Personally, my screen hasn't gotten dirty yet, I just dust it off. But the Klear Screen wipes seem to be the best solution for LCD screens. Take a look at their site (klearscreen.com)..
Thanks,
Josh =).

bjf
Aug 2, 2000, 10:02 PM

I have a Rev A tangerine. when it arrived to me (last october 30th) It had one speck of dirt in the upper right corner of the screen. since then I have gotten more, all in the same general vicinity. I also have the eyelash to left of the track pad. at macworld last week, i asked a service rep about it, and they first said I could send it back to apple. then, tried to make me feel like an idiot by saying "they might not see the dirt you see". like im imagining it! he did say I couldnt open the case myself. and in fact said that apple doesnt do lcd repairs on the ibook. they are warrantied by the manufacturer of the lcd's and apple sends them back to them for repair. wether this is a "repair" or not I dont know. curious if anyone tries to take it apart and see if they can clean it. not that I would ever condone or encourage the voiding of ones warranty......

Jon.K
Aug 4, 2000, 11:15 AM

What do we have to do to make the people at Apple recognize this problem? I mean, it's not just your ordinary 'dust in an old computer' problem.
I would like to know the specific procedures needed in order to notify this to Apple.

cjb2001
Aug 4, 2000, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by cjb2001:
I have an iBook SE with the "dirt" around the top and sides of the screen. I noticed it right away when I first bought it in May.
I had a sound problem so I sent it in for repair yesterday and also mentioned the dirt to the apple technician. He told me he had never heard of this problem. Well I think not......after reading the posts regarding this problem I feel Apple should do something. The dirt is very annoying. I spent so much money and my ibook looks damaged.
A coworker of mine who is a "PC person" just laughed and said " Well ,what did you expect from Apple, I told you to buy a PC."

I should be receiving my I book Tuesday. I will keep you posted.

My I book came back with the sound fixed but still had the dirt. I called apple immediately on 8/1. The technician could not tell me why they did not fix it but said to send it back. He said they were addressing this issue at a meeting that day and that it was fixable.
So now I have the ANSWER to the dirt!! The best way to explain this is ...the white plastic is rubbing against the aluminum and each time you close the top more flakes of dirt appear. They are totally replacing all the parts associated to this problem
My I book came back today it looks brand new!!!!!
So get on the telephone and send your
I book back to Apple. Out on the 2nd back on the 4th.

Jon.K
Aug 5, 2000, 10:46 PM

Wow, Congratulations!
Finally won the battle, huh?
:-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules