Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Photoshop 7.0: Could not initialize because there is not enough memory (RAM)

Photoshop 7.0: Could not initialize because there is not enough memory (RAM)
bilingual
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2002, 08:15 PM

I get this message after starting PS 7.0 in OS X. The program would not start up and load. It launches fine in OS 9. What gives? Is there a fix for that?

I have 640 MB Ram, TiBook 500. Any help would be appreciated
http://www.sovokoftheweek.com

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2002, 12:07 AM

Did you try to quit all programs first then open PS7?

If all fail, you could restart and open PS7 first before all apps. It could be memory leaks from some apps such as OmniWeb.

Also, probably you did set PS7 to use 100% of the memory. It can be decreased by going to Preference>Memory

bilingual  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2002, 01:55 AM

So, how do I adjust memory if the PS does not load up? Which preferences should I go to? Is there an ap that does that? Let me know, this could very well may be a solution. Thanks!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2002, 03:25 AM

You can find Photoshop 7's preferences by going to ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Settings/

and remove the following files:

Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Prefs

If that still didn't help, be sure to let us know so we could look for another solutions

bilingual  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2002, 09:57 AM

Actually, this file is missing. I guess, the file cannot be created if the program did not start up. Is there way to allocate memory in OS X? I know this question goes against the whole memory handling in OS X, but I thought I'd try and ask.

wingdo
Senior User
May 12, 2002, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>Also, probably you did set PS7 to use 100% of the memory. It can be decreased by going to Preference&gt;Memory

</STRONG>
What ever happened to the idea that we would no longer need to set memory preferences with OS X?

Thanks again Adobe.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 12, 2002, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by wingdo:
<STRONG>

What ever happened to the idea that we would no longer need to set memory preferences with OS X?

Thanks again Adobe. </STRONG>
Don't blame them, its also on the PC side as well. Has been at least since 6.0 anyway.

JLL
Professional Poster
May 12, 2002, 03:25 PM

<STRONG>

You should thank Adobe for this because you can mark a certain amount of RAM to Photoshop alone thus optimizing your speed in Photoshop.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

mr. burns
Senior User
May 12, 2002, 07:21 PM

i have a problem of my own. all my colors in PS 7 are way over saturated. what gives? how can i get it back to normal?

not all who wander are lost.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 12, 2002, 07:41 PM

<STRONG>What ever happened to the idea that we would no longer need to set memory preferences with OS X?

Oh great. Another idiot flamer who doesn't know how memory management works...
Originally posted by mr. burns:
<STRONG>i have a problem of my own. all my colors in PS 7 are way over saturated. what gives? how can i get it back to normal?</STRONG>
It sounds like your color profiles are goofed. Take a look in Photohop -&gt; Color Settings... It's pretty easy to handle. You may just want to turn off all the color management policies.

[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

mr. burns
Senior User
May 12, 2002, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
<STRONG>
It sounds like your color profiles are goofed. Take a look in Photohop -&gt; Color Settings... It's pretty easy to handle. You may just want to turn off all the color management policies.
</STRONG>
no dice. even with everything turned off it's still bad =/

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2002, 09:35 PM

<STRONG>
Another idiot flamer who doesn't know how memory management works... </STRONG>
You may call me an idiot, but I also don't know how this memory managment in PhotoShop works and how it's better than OS X' default.

Care to explain?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

wingdo
Senior User
May 12, 2002, 10:39 PM

<STRONG>
Oh great. Another idiot flamer who doesn't know how memory management works... </STRONG>
Ahh yes, calling me an idiot is the preferred way to get me to see your side of the story.

If Adobe's way of dealing with memory is the best way, why don't all other applications make use of it?

I am serious, if Adobe's way is better, why isn't this the way Apple sets memory up? I thought one of the pluses of OS X was that I would no longer have to go from application to application setting up how I want memory allocated.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2002, 10:39 AM

<STRONG>

Ahh yes, calling me an idiot is the preferred way to get me to see your side of the story.

If Adobe's way of dealing with memory is the best way, why don't all other applications make use of it?

I am serious, if Adobe's way is better, why isn't this the way Apple sets memory up? I thought one of the pluses of OS X was that I would no longer have to go from application to application setting up how I want memory allocated.</STRONG>
could it be that these settings relate to physical RAM, not virtual memory? ie: it looks like this setting forces Photoshop to hog x% real RAM, other apps may be forced into VM, but Photoshop will stick with physical RAM as far as possible (as its much faster that way.)

mattcunnane
May 13, 2002, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by shortcipher:
<STRONG>

could it be that these settings relate to physical RAM, not virtual memory? ie: it looks like this setting forces Photoshop to hog x% real RAM, other apps may be forced into VM, but Photoshop will stick with physical RAM as far as possible (as its much faster that way.)</STRONG>
This just doesn't make sense! Not at least with my understanding of the VM system in OS X.

A simple question that nobody has asked yet: Are you running short on disk space on your main OS volume?

Perhaps the VM system is running out of room for swap files (although surely this would affect other apps too)

mattcunnane
May 13, 2002, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>
Also, probably you did set PS7 to use 100% of the memory. It can be decreased by going to Preference&gt;Memory
</STRONG>
I don't think this is the problem. I just set PS to use 100% of available memory and it still runs fine on my system (with lots of other apps open).

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2002, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by mattcunnane:
<STRONG>

This just doesn't make sense! Not at least with my understanding of the VM system in OS X.</STRONG>
Actually the more I think about this the more sense it makes, look at it this way, under OSX when an app wants some memory it asks the system and the system gives it some, presumably the system is smart enough to give foreground apps real RAM and keep background apps paged out to VM, OK? So with Photoshop instead of asking for more RAM every time you open a new document, you are asking for it up front, I would guess that if PS needs more RAM than you have specified then the system will hand it over as and when it needs to.

I think its just Photoshop way of saying 'hey - prioritise me!"

bilingual  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2002, 01:26 PM

hey, can we get back to the topic?! I need help and I did everything that was recommended and still no luck ... What should I do?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by bilingual:
<STRONG>hey, can we get back to the topic?! I need help and I did everything that was recommended and still no luck ... What should I do?</STRONG>
You say it works fine when booted into 9... Did you run the installer booted in 9 or in X? I think you've got to run the installer while booted into X for it to run properly in X (I could be wrong)

At any rate, what harm would be done by throwing the whole kit and kaboodle in the trash, (including prefs) and just re-installing from scratch. Or have you tried that already?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

bilingual  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2002, 01:54 PM

good idea, I will do that

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by shortcipher:
<STRONG>

Actually the more I think about this the more sense it makes, look at it this way, under OSX when an app wants some memory it asks the system and the system gives it some, presumably the system is smart enough to give foreground apps real RAM and keep background apps paged out to VM, OK? So with Photoshop instead of asking for more RAM every time you open a new document, you are asking for it up front, I would guess that if PS needs more RAM than you have specified then the system will hand it over as and when it needs to.

I think its just Photoshop way of saying 'hey - prioritise me!"</STRONG>
I don't see any advantage in it. Instead of slowing down other applications when needed, it will just slow them down all the time. I don't think it will speed up PhotoShop significantly. And everybody would do it we would be back to the classic Mac OS' memory management type. Can anybody set PhotoShop's memory usage to 0% and tell if there is any difference?

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that PhotoShop has its own virtual memory management and it's still doing that under OS X. X's memory management is said to be very good, so I don't know if that was necessary.

Anyway, maybe staarfleetX will explain it to us please.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

mr. burns
Senior User
May 13, 2002, 06:20 PM

my computer's a gimp =/

mattcunnane
May 13, 2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
<STRONG>
Can anybody set PhotoShop's memory usage to 0% and tell if there is any difference?
</STRONG>
Just tried and it's not possible. The lowest it will go is 15%.

For those interested in how VM works in OS X, check out Virtual Memory Theory and Virtual Memory on Mac OS X (Apple developer documentation).

It seems odd (and unlikely) that Photoshop should be able to bypass the system's normal memory management (unless there is some hidden API that Adobe knows about!).

My best guess at the moment is that this is a hangover from the OS 9 days. Perhaps it is trying to do it's own VM within OS X's VM system - It's complaining because there is less physical memory present than it is expecting, when it really shouldn't matter.

Sorry if this isn't very clear, but it's late!

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: mattcunnane ]

mattcunnane
May 20, 2002, 12:15 AM

Bump

This thread is really interesting me. Anyone have an idea as to what is going on?

Bilingual: Did you fix the problem yet?

howardm4
Senior User
May 20, 2002, 07:13 AM

I think this is a holdover from OS9.

You can check this by running 'top' and monitoring the VSIZE
and the RSIZE.

In a decent VM system, the application requests memory and the kernel
provides it. The app doesn't know if it's physical or virtual. As
far as the application is concerned, it can grab up to 4GB of memory

bilingual  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2002, 08:42 AM

no, I did not. I reinstalled the Ps 7.0 and the problem persists. I am thinking about reinstalling OS X, and I hate doing so. Before I do that, I'll wait for some more info that someone may come up with.

mrfoxxman
Forum Regular
May 21, 2002, 02:51 PM

Anytime you get "out of memory" errors in OSX, it is caused by F'd up preferences. First thing is delete the Photoshop Prefs. If that doesnt work [or if there are no preferences yet] try creating another user and trying again. It could be that your user library got fouled up somethere. If that still doent work, you need to re-install! Hope that helps.

ant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2002, 04:34 PM

Clutching at straws, but see whether Photoshop has created a scratch file or volume. If it has, check whether you have permission to write to it: if you don't, PS7 won't open under OS X.
Good luck,
ant

Originally posted by bilingual:
<STRONG>no, I did not. I reinstalled the Ps 7.0 and the problem persists. I am thinking about reinstalling OS X, and I hate doing so. Before I do that, I'll wait for some more info that someone may come up with.</STRONG>

MoontaMacman
Forum Regular
May 27, 2002, 03:04 AM

Hi bilingual,
I had a similar problem with OS 9 and PS 6 - it would fire up but not let me open anything via "Open file" tossing the "not enough RAM" message at me -I'd love to tell you I found an answer but after numerous phone calls to Adobe help line plus postings here and to Adobe Net help - no luck - so this last week my version of PS 7 arrived and - thankfully it worked on the same computer as gave problems before under OS 9 with PS 6 - BUT -- today I was trying to rush out some prints for a friend ( her daughter had triplets last Friday- now has 4 children under 15 months old!- ) anyway all was going well until I tried to print- and tried to print and ... finally gave up - booted PS 5.5 and printed from there - you know I think the problem is with Adobe somewhere along the line things are crazy - the PS 6 I have works fine on two other Macs I own but not on the G4 733 (1.25Gb RAM )Now PS 7 works but I have to go search out the answer to the printing problem - oh yes I did have a problem with PS 7 which was solved by changing the Scratch disk from "Startup Disk" to Mac HD - it kept telling me "resources were not available" whenever I tried to use a filter, or just about any action -- I am guessing the startup disk was a small segment dedicated to the prime user whereas the whole disk designation let it see the whole of any free space - Adobe is definitely off my Christmas list at present :-((

Any ideas on the printer -Epson 1270 -is working under OS X in Appleworks etc - feel free to tell me - email below

meanwhile bilingual - good luck and hit Adobe is my suggestion !

Ron Co
[email protected]
http://home.iprimus.com.au/alenka_ron

mpic
May 29, 2002, 04:18 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by bilingual:
<strong>I get this message after starting PS 7.0 in OS X. The program would not start up and load. It launches fine in OS 9. What gives? Is there a fix for that?

I have 640 MB Ram, TiBook 500. Any help would be appreciated</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I was wondering if you ever got an answer to your problem i have the same one and am at a loss with it.... Thanks mpic
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]iMac G5 1.6GHz 768MB ram Dual Monitors
Powerbook Lombard 333Mhz[/FONT]

himself
Mac Elite
May 30, 2002, 10:44 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by bilingual:
<strong>I get this message after starting PS 7.0 in OS X. The program would not start up and load. It launches fine in OS 9. What gives? Is there a fix for that?

I have 640 MB Ram, TiBook 500. Any help would be appreciated</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I get the same problem on my TiBook667, and it sometimes happens even after I start up and it's the first app to launch... i did a little investigating and i appears that it may have something to do with the UIServer confusing Photoshop or leaking ram or something, but i'm not certain.

Since we both use tibooks, could it be restricted to those? Also, do you have any themes installed on you machine other than aqua? I thought at first that this may be the culprit, but I doubt it. Also, when the photoshop startup screen comes up (right after you launch it), do the names in the credits show up in a different typeface/fontsize?
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

bilingual  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2002, 12:42 AM

the credits do show up in the usual font. I still don't know the answer to my problem. I did reinstall the software but I still get the same message. I am trying to find the answers o nthe Web to my dilemma. Maybe Adobe will come up with an update that will fix the problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules