Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Where do you fill up to fuel the PWL fire?

Where do you fill up to fuel the PWL fire?
The Crook
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2008, 05:14 AM

I'm always interested in this question:

How do you inform yourself of world events and current issues?

My go-to website for straight news is the New York Times (and CNN for more breaking news). Right after that, I visit Talking Points Memo, Think Progress (and Matthew Yglesias), Ezra Klein, random articles highlighted by Digg, and lately, Andrew Sullivan. More periodically, I read the New Yorker. Any my career tends to inform me quite a bit in other areas pertinent to current issues in the world.

I don't watch much TV, except for the occasional Countdown or TDS/Colbert episodes. I don't read a physical newspaper either. I do miss a physical newspaper for local news. The online version of my hometown paper isn't nearly as good.

What's your routine?

(In this crowd, I'm sure we have more than a few talk-radio fans).

Crooked Member of the MacNN Atheist Clique.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 05:23 AM

I subscribe to a ton of things in NetNewsWire (I'm currently at 96 feeds, though only a fraction are hard news sites). I do read newspapers too, but I tend to go to those more for local news and features. But more than depending on any particular medium to feed me information, I'd say my best source of political news and ideas is the people I know. Surrounding yourself with interesting people is the best way to be exposed to a good range of relevant info and you get an opportunity to bounce reactions and ideas off each other.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 09:41 AM

I posted this in the "Where do you go for news" thread.

As for other resources to argue a point, it depends on the subject.

Wikipedia is usually a good start--notice I said a good start, it is not the be all and end all for information--because any fully fleshed out post will have references at the bottom of the page and, to me, those references are the best thing about a Wikipedia entry. Usually the references will take you to some invaluable source material.

For arguing US government policy, I usually try to find the website for the agency that oversees the topic under discussion. If you want to make a point about an issue, you can't go to wrong with using the government's own stance/statistics on an issue.

For legal matters, I use the law website run by Cornell or the FindLaw website.

I don't include blogs or other opinion sites as a source because if someone has an opinion on something I will go to the sources they use to substantiate their opinion instead of referencing their opinion.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Dec 3, 2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: edited to add more info.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 11:59 AM

I've never found that informing oneself of world events and current issues is a prerequisite for effective PWL posting.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2008, 03:17 PM

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2008, 01:24 PM

I get all my hard news from Steve Wright in the Afternoon on Radio 2

I live in a happy wurld.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2008, 07:58 AM

The Economist, dead tree edition.

I've disagreed with their editorial position exactly once in the last three years. It's a little scary to be quite honest.

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2008, 08:32 PM

I listen to Rush, Hannity and the other Bush backside lickers, and follow in lockstep with them. Because if your not with us, your against us!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2008, 12:31 PM

A 1972 reprint of Little Orphan Annie comics gives me all the information I'll ever need for life.

Actually I have live feeds from all major newsies, the conspiracy rags, the tabloids, and the internets.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
A 1972 reprint of Little Orphan Annie comics gives me all the information I'll ever need for life.

You should try Nancy.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
I listen to Rush, Hannity and the other Bush backside lickers, and follow in lockstep with them. Because if your not with us, your against us!
I'm pretty sure that they hate him almost as much as you do (or I do, for that matter).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules