Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > LCD sreen "glitching" on 667?

LCD sreen "glitching" on 667?
VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2003, 05:36 PM

Anyone else have this problem in 10.3.2? Every now and then the screen glitches-- kinda messes up-- for what I'd guess is 1/10th of a second. It's as if there were a loose connection or something, although it does it only after the upgrade to the latest ATI drivers that came with 10.3.2.

It only glitches occasionally, and fairly rarely, but it does happen a few times a day.

I have a 667 btw.

Just wondering if this was some kind of hardware issue on my part or if it's something wonky in the new drivers.

W

linusone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2003, 09:19 PM

Interesting. I too have a 667 (2 yrs old, 16MB ati), and the same symptoms you've described. However, mine has done it for some time - even with 10.2 and its various flavors. I assumed it was age, and perhaps the video cable was loosening, or something. But, I would love to hear it's a software glitch.

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by linusone:
Interesting. I too have a 667 (2 yrs old, 16MB ati), and the same symptoms you've described. However, mine has done it for some time - even with 10.2 and its various flavors. I assumed it was age, and perhaps the video cable was loosening, or something. But, I would love to hear it's a software glitch.
Hmm. Yeah, we have the same model. I have seen this previously on older systems. But it either went away after 10.0 and returned or I got used to it and only now noticed.

Hmm. Wonder if anyone else has had this.

W

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2003, 07:54 PM

My Ti667 display has been glitching for a year now with Jaguar and Panther. i see it only when a browser is displaying flash content, or Photoshop is running complex actions. Its like the whole screens is shorting out but then everything is fine afterwards. 10.3.2's new drivers almost eliminated the problem though. Now I only see it breifly instead of for an extended period during the two above described events. In other words, the new Video drivers almost fixed my PB.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

linusone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2003, 10:19 AM

Mrtew, thanks for the details, that's exactly my symptoms too. Especially with the browser - stinks. Anyway, maybe it's a subliminal message from Jobs & Co. to um, "upgrade".

gee308
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2003, 11:39 PM

I have the exact same problem, for about a year, but its always there, if I press slightly on the glitched area, it goes away, but I cant keep pressing it. I'm kind of pissed about it, but there is nothgin I can do about it.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2003, 03:22 AM

Hello. I've never had the problem with the 667 DVI so I'm assuming it's related to the video card. In any case, I can never deal with the possible regret of having a laptop that cost a fortune to repair and being without a warranty so I shelled out for the Applecare.

PeteWK

TypeMRT
Dec 30, 2003, 12:43 AM

Running 10.3.2, I now get some funky patterns about 3 times a day. First it's like vertical zebra stripes and I can see just beyond them to the desktop. Then a spot (either white or black) grows until it fills the screen. It cycles like this until I force shutdown (I let it sit for over 3 hours wit no change).
I'm taking it into an Apple Store next week to get it checked out, and I'll let you know what happens.

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 05:53 AM

I'm very curious. I'm getting these flashy things more frequently now. I don't know if everyone here is experiencing the glitch the same way, but for me it's an almost instantaneous flash that looks like the horizontal blanking line on a television, only it's horizontal. The damn thing goes so fast that I'm aware it's there, but can't get a full reckoning of what exactly it looks like. I don't have any problems with circles or anything.

The computer is under warranty, so if anyone does know that it's a hardware issue, please let me know.

W

VValdo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by VValdo:
...looks like the horizontal blanking line on a television, only it's horizontal.
I mean, obviously, that it's vertical.

W

Forum Links
Forum Rules