Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Remember Cricket Graph?

Remember Cricket Graph?
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2002, 05:17 PM

Well do you remember it? That unbelievably simple graphing tool for OS 7 or whatever it was. Well, it still runs in classic, but it would kick major booty if there was a program like this that worked in OS X.

So ya, do any of you know of a really simple graphing program like cricket graph. One that can do logarithmic graphing, and whatnot.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2002, 10:38 PM

Yeah, I miss CricketGraph. If you need basic graphs, Excel v.X should be fine. I use Deltagraph (mostly for scientific data and EPS output) but have to boot into OS 9...
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Fillman
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2002, 02:56 AM

Excel for Mac OSX does a pretty full range of graphs these days including log scales and a whole bunch of curve fitting trendlines. I used to use Cricket Graph years ago.

If you want some more curve fitting, modelling and plotting horse power for OSX check out Pro Fit at <a href="http://www.quansoft.com/" target="_blank">Pro Fit home Page</a>

They have a very functional free download and you can register for more capabilities.
- Earth First - We'll mine the rest of the planets later

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2002, 11:00 AM

man, what a flashback! I loved Cricket Graph.

Sure, Excel can do it now, but I can't afford it! $450 my A$$.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

11011001  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2002, 11:57 AM

Excel as it comes cannot graph the kind of stuff I need. It took 300 lines of VBA code to get it to graph the kind of logarithmic graphs I needed.

But Cricket Graph could do it, and did it really easily.

And yup, checked out Pro Fit, and it is what I was looking for. It actually produces half decent graphs unlike a certain other program, ahem... excel.. cough... cough

Well Excel is not that bad, but it just isn't suited for scientific graphing.

surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2002, 03:30 PM

I never really liked cricket graph. Try Igor Pro 4. In my opinion, this is and has been the best graphing program available for the past 5 years, and they have an OSX version.

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2002, 06:37 AM

I have very fond memories of Cricket Graph. It was an impressive little program; much better (and faster) than Excel.

I used to use Cricket Graph in college for all my material science homework assignments. I would never have made it through metallurgy and crystalography without Cricket Graph (and my PowerBook 180!).

It would be nice if network associates or who ever owns the source these
days would make it available so that it could be ported to OS X.

--ranga

foamy
Senior User
Jul 31, 2002, 12:56 PM

I still use Cricket Graph 90% of the time. I recently tried GraphPad Prism for OSX. Really nice graphing program, but Expen$ive.

I really wish there were a Canvas compatible graphing tool. No matter what program or method I use to import graphs into Canvas, I always end up spending a ton of time resizing and fixing the graphs in Canvas.

The only other Classic app I really need badly is a DNA Strider replacement.

strepidus
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2002, 09:05 PM

The creation date on my copy of Cricketgraph is July 15, 1986. Can't believe I have 16-year-old sofware on my computer that still runs! (though I don't really use it since I'm using OS X full time)

Rickster
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2002, 02:33 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> Can't believe I have 16-year-old sofware on my computer that still runs!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Sort of off-topic, but cool: at WWDC 2000, they showed MacDraw 0.8 (circa 1983, before the Mac came out) running in the Classic Environment in OS X DP4. Flawlessly. Try that on Windows.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2002, 07:05 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Rickster:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> Can't believe I have 16-year-old sofware on my computer that still runs!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Sort of off-topic, but cool: at WWDC 2000, they showed MacDraw 0.8 (circa 1983, before the Mac came out) running in the Classic Environment in OS X DP4. Flawlessly. Try that on Windows. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Speaking of which:

I have a bunch of SuperPaint (Silicon Beach Software - 'member them!?) object (Draw Layer) files I'd like to continue using under OS X.

Anybody recommend a simple, preferably free draw program for OS X that can read this stuff as well as group/ungroup objects and rotate them, etc.?

Rickster
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2002, 11:30 AM

What version of SuperPaint? I have some version 3.5 disks sitting around that I've been meaning to install so I can resurrect some of my own old artwork.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

FishDoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2002, 01:01 PM

I really miss Cricketgraph - I use Deltagraph now (in classic), but CG was SO much more intuitive to use.

Ah well....I have tried the other options listed here, but none of them come close to the old CricketGraph.......

Fish

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2002, 05:42 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by memento:
<strong>man, what a flashback! I loved Cricket Graph.

Sure, Excel can do it now, but I can't afford it! $450 my A$$.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">It really is a flashback...

I never used Cricket Graph much (used Kaleidagraph instead), but the Cricket Graph developer, Rich Norling, was my neighbor circa 1987-89. He was also the main architect of Language Systems Fortran, now long defunct, but a really terrific fortran programming environment. I was a beta tester for LSF, and the debug cycle was: send email to Rich, 2 hours later hear the floppy disc drop in thru my mail slot with a new version of the compiler!

BTW, Rich later gave up programming and, last I heard, was trying to breed race horses on a farm in Maryland.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2002, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
What version of SuperPaint? I have some version 3.5 disks sitting around that I've been meaning to install so I can resurrect some of my own old artwork.
I'm looking at 3.0.

SuperHard
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2004, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by foamy:
I still use Cricket Graph 90% of the time. I recently tried GraphPad Prism for OSX. Really nice graphing program, but Expen$ive.

I really wish there were a Canvas compatible graphing tool. No matter what program or method I use to import graphs into Canvas, I always end up spending a ton of time resizing and fixing the graphs in Canvas.

The only other Classic app I really need badly is a DNA Strider replacement.
MacVector by Oxford is outstanding. Probably quite expensive, but if you need a program like this, don't bother looking any further. Current version 7.2 runs in OS 10.2 /10.3.

foamy
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 07:48 PM

We have MacVector and GCK. I don't like either of them for day to day use.

I got DNA Strider for OSX and I'm pretty happy.

DNA Strider is the Cricket Graph of DNA analysis programs. They both do the basics really well and not a whole lot more.

qyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:

Disks sitting around?? I still use SuperPaint (v 3.0) on a regular basis! I first installed it on my Mac Plus way back when, and used it on every Mac I've had since (4).

Sure, Photoshop is nice for a lot of things, but there are times when you can't beat good old SuperPaint. It's the only reason I haven't completely removed Classic from my system.

Forum Links
Forum Rules