Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Doh! New Amazon Promo: Free AirPort Card with iBook, eMac, or iMac

Doh! New Amazon Promo: Free AirPort Card with iBook, eMac, or iMac
Sosa
Senior User
Aug 5, 2002, 08:30 PM

And I was feeling good about having bought the $49 Airport card with my $100 off iBook last month thinking the promo would end. The $100 off labtop promo has been extended until Nov 25th and now you can also get the free airport card as well as the free Epson 820 printer.

How do these guys make money? I figure that Epson makes money selling ink supplies for the 820 photoprinter. Reportedly it uses them really fast and those things are not cheap!

But how does Amazon make money selling labtops for $100 less, free airport cards, free shipping, and I assume they don't pay taxes either on these sales. Amazon must have a low profit margin.

I just read in another thread that there are different versions of the airport card available. Are the new cards the ones being offered for free?
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

NDBounce
Senior User
Aug 5, 2002, 09:57 PM

How do these guys make money? ...

But how does Amazon make money selling labtops for $100 less, free airport cards, free shipping, and I assume they don't pay taxes either on these sales. Amazon must have a low profit margin. [/B]
Actually, their EPS is a negative $1.68, so simply put, they don't.

klinux
Senior User
Aug 6, 2002, 02:45 AM

I got my iBook 700 12" the last day before Amazon's $200 rebate promotion (in Amazon gift certificate) ended. The rebate is for computer $1500 or more but the Apple laptop is an exception.

Soon after I recieved it, Amazon began a new promotion for $100 off of any laptop. I e-mailed them about it and they refunded $100 back to my CC. Making the total $1495-$200-$100 = $1195.

rcfuzz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2002, 12:07 PM

I've been waiting for OS X 10.2 to be released (and shipped on new computers) before buying an iBook but this Amazon deal was too good to pass up on. (And I was afraid Amazon would pull this offer if it got too popular.)

I bought the 700mhz combo drive model and got the free Airport card and will get the $100 gift certificate to boot. I think I'll pass on the free Epson 820 printer because I hear nothing but horror stories about print head jamming.
Has anyone had good experiences with this printer running OS X?

Plus, now I qualify for the $20 upgrade to 10.2 so that's another $100 bucks saved.

Hope I did the right thing. Feels right.

Bob

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2002, 01:31 PM

Sounds like you've managed to get a nice deal - as good as (or close to) a student discount. It's getting oh so tempting to pick up an iBook for myself...

rcfuzz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2002, 01:12 PM

Believe it or not, I ordered my iBook and free Airport card on Tuesday (Aug 6) here in north Jersey and in today's mail I received my Airport card and the iBook was also shipped (probably get that tomorrow.) That's less than 24 hours for the Free Shipping option (which usually means 'slow boat to China.") Not bad.

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2002, 07:58 PM

*bump*

Amazon looks to be making the offer even better... it seems like they're all $55 off, so $1144, $1444, $1744. You have to add it to the shopping cart to see the price.

rcfuzz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2002, 07:44 AM

I just wrote Amazon and asked if they would adjust my cost by $50 to reflect the new price. We'll see what they do.

skeedog98
Aug 8, 2002, 09:22 AM

I would really like to jump in on the Amazon deal but I don't know that I could handle the 20GB HD. So I may end up paying ~$400 more just to get that extra 20GB from Apple. Hopefully I'll be ordering a 12.1" 700 anyday now.

rcfuzz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2002, 04:20 PM

Just got an email from Amazon and they said they would refund $50 to my credit card because of the recent price drop. I love doing business with these guys!

My iBook just arrived too via UPS. With the free shipping it only took 2 days to NJ. Not bad.

Bob

Panzer
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2002, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by rcfuzz:
Just got an email from Amazon and they said they would refund $50 to my credit card because of the recent price drop. I love doing business with these guys!

My iBook just arrived too via UPS. With the free shipping it only took 2 days to NJ. Not bad.

Bob
Would you mind letting us know who you emailed? I wrote in yesterday to 'promotions and gift certificates' and the guy who wrote back today didn't want to play ball:
"I'm sorry you weren't able to take advantage of this promotional
offer..." The dudes name was Chad.
Who did you deal with and in what department? Maybe I need to write to returns and threaten to send it back. Hell, if they cover shipping back to them maybe I will.
Thanks for the info!

madcowherd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2002, 06:32 PM

Sigh, they seem to have run out of stock allready. As I don't shop often at Amazon, does anyone know how often they get new iBooks? The "rep" I talked to wouldn't even tell me if they were even going to get any new stock in.

rcfuzz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2002, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by madcowherd:
Sigh, they seem to have run out of stock allready. As I don't shop often at Amazon, does anyone know how often they get new iBooks? The "rep" I talked to wouldn't even tell me if they were even going to get any new stock in.
Sorry to hear that. But I'm sure they'll be even better deals when Septmeber rolls around.

Forum Links
Forum Rules