Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB12" revB vs PB12" revC

PB12" revB vs PB12" revC
wei
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2004, 04:14 AM

Im comparing both because Im getting an offer for 12" RevB SuperDrive at US$100+ less then 12" RevC Combo dirve version.

I would like to know did the RevC higher processing rate (+ .33Mhz...) improve its performance (a lot?) compare to the RevB? Im a graphic designer, will use this PB for some graphic works when im away from the office.

otherwise I'm fine with the RevB 40gigs HDD, and just spend the $ i save to add more RAM.

sbdaigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2004, 09:51 AM

I used the RevB for about a 8 months and now have had the RevC for about 3 weeks. I would have to say that the performance is comparable but the RevC is faster - at program launch times and other functions. My reason for going to the RevC was not just that, but for the screen. The screen is much brighter and the white is cleaner. Not that the RevB was unusable, but I had the opportunity and I took it. It also runs �a bit� cooler.
MacBook Pro 15’er - 120 HD, 2gig Ram

wei  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2004, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by sbdaigo:
I used the RevB for about a 8 months and now have had the RevC for about 3 weeks. I would have to say that the performance is comparable but the RevC is faster - at program launch times and other functions. My reason for going to the RevC was not just that, but for the screen. The screen is much brighter and the white is cleaner. Not that the RevB was unusable, but I had the opportunity and I took it. It also runs �a bit� cooler.
great, finally someone share some experience. i forget one important thing, the graphic card... RevB 32MB put me off.... guess i have to live with RevC

BTW, is there an option to choose a 128MB graphic card when pruchase?

linuxfoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 12:15 AM

i would also have to say that rev c runs a lot cooler. i have a 1 ghz and i am happy with it, however for a graphic designer, you might find that the display might be a bit too small, you might end up spending alot of time shifting the image left and right to get the big picture. just my two cent.
PB12" G4 1ghz, 768mb Ram, 80gig HD, Superdrive

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2004, 12:18 AM

I dont think the Rev B runs that hot at all,I use mine for graphic design and the screen size isnt a problem.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

wei  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2004, 02:16 AM

ofcourse i know that the 15" / 17" screen is wayyyyy cooler then the 12". but when it come to the price tag and mobility (well i carry lots of stuff with me so cant bare too much of weight, lighter = better) 12" is still my 1st choice. We have to compromise sometime, cant hope to get everything perfect, atlease it work fine, I'm happy.

I can always use an external monitor with external keyboard and forget about the 12" screen when im back in office...

sillydog701
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 02:59 AM

The biggest difference between Rev B and Rev C (12") is the speed of RAM.
Rev C now uses the same (faster) speed RAM (DDR333) as the 15" and 17" models.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2004, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by sillydog701:
The biggest difference between Rev B and Rev C (12") is the speed of RAM.
Rev C now uses the same (faster) speed RAM (DDR333) as the 15" and 17" models.
Certainly true, but I think the point of this thread is to find out if we can actually 'feel' this difference in everyday life. Is it a big difference?

sillydog701
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 06:12 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Certainly true, but I think the point of this thread is to find out if we can actually 'feel' this difference in everyday life. Is it a big difference?
It is, for me.
For people like me, running huge applications uses lots of system resources (Virtual PC). the two main factors are speed of RAM and speed of HDD. (Of course I upgraded the HDD to faster one.)

The speed of RAM and HDD are the two main factors why the same speed of CPU appears a lot faster in desktop than laptop.

wei  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2004, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
you got my point here!
I quess i need to upgrade 2 stuff when i do my purchase huh?
1) RAM
2) HDD 4200 rpm > 7200 rpm

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 05:59 PM

5400 if your planning to get it from Apple as BTO, 7200HD through an Apple tech or if your brave can do it yourself and void your warranty. I've used both and I have to agree with tekno_geek, I use my Rev B 12" for graphic design and it glides through all my jobs like a hot knife through butter, mmmmmmmmmm...............butter.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

wei  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 07:24 AM

ahh... Im not sure my local techs willing to install 7200rpm drive for me, quess i will get an external FW400 7200rpm drive & internal 5400rpm.

Forum Links
Forum Rules