Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Display Calibration a Must

Display Calibration a Must
freudling
Banned
Aug 8, 2005, 03:45 AM

I always thought the PowerBook screen looked better than the ibooks. Well, I just bought an iBook and, after calibrating the scree via system preferences Display pane, I am impressed. I tested the new config by switching back and forth from default config to new config and I was amazed. Amazed at how bad the stock config looks in comparison. It is totally washed out. This new config has added yards of depth to the color and overall the screen is beautifully rich and colorful. I have my color sync custom config saved. I can email it if anybody wants it.

Email Me!

ninjarico
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by freudling
I always thought the PowerBook screen looked better than the ibooks. Well, I just bought an iBook and, after calibrating the scree via system preferences Display pane, I am impressed. I tested the new config by switching back and forth from default config to new config and I was amazed. Amazed at how bad the stock config looks in comparison. It is totally washed out. This new config has added yards of depth to the color and overall the screen is beautifully rich and colorful. I have my color sync custom config saved. I can email it if anybody wants it.

Email Me!
What did you use to do the color calibration?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 8, 2005, 11:53 AM

I used OS X. Under Sys Pref's, click the Displays pane and then click on configuration for a new one. Apple gives you three stock ones (RGB LCD, RGB Generic...). You will be taken through a series of steps - about 5. Once your calibration is done, you save it i.e. "Holden's Display."

ninjarico
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by freudling
I used OS X. Under Sys Pref's, click the Displays pane and then click on configuration for a new one. Apple gives you three stock ones (RGB LCD, RGB Generic...). You will be taken through a series of steps - about 5. Once your calibration is done, you save it i.e. "Holden's Display."

Oh I didn't realize OSX had a calibration system built in. (recent switcher used to installing extra software to handle that stuff, i.e. adobe gamma)

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2005, 03:04 PM

just calibrated my ibook, and the monitor attached via system preferences. Looks so much better now. One thing to note, if u are going to calibrate, use the expert/advanced mode. Otherwise its pretty pointless.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 8, 2005, 07:31 PM

mpancha:

Good point! I forgot to mention that. Yes, yes, use advanced for the big 5 stepper.

ninjarico:

First, that is a wacked out user name! Second, welcome! That is one thing you should get used to: few third party apps for this stuff. Explore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules