Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Does PC/MAC formatting determine ability to charge?

Does PC/MAC formatting determine ability to charge?
ninjarico
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2006, 10:19 PM

If you format an iPod for the MAC/PC can you only charge it on that type of system? I used my iPod with my MAC but when the firewire is hooked up to the PC it doesn't charge like it normally would with the MAC. Does the formating system have a factor in that?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2006, 11:38 PM

No.

ninjarico  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
No.

sooooo would you happen to know why it isn't charging then?

EDIT...nm I have it figured out now.
( Last edited by ninjarico; Jan 17, 2006 at 11:46 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 18, 2006, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by ninjarico
sooooo would you happen to know why it isn't charging then?

EDIT...nm I have it figured out now.
It's not nice to tease people like this. What WAS the problem? (It wouldn't happen to be that you had it plugged into a sleeping iBook or something, would it?)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2006, 06:58 AM

It may be because PCs usually have 4 pin Firewire ports, which do not support charging.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 20, 2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
It may be because PCs usually have 4 pin Firewire ports, which do not support charging.
This is partly true. Most of the time they have EITHER 4-pin ports labeled for use with some sort of video source (I forget the "iSomething" name they use) OR they have 6-pin, fully functional ports. Typically, if the port is full-sized (takes the large connector) it will have power. However, not all firewire cards get directly connected internally to the power suppyl and thus they have to leach off the PCI bus which limits available power... So yes, it's complex.

Ninjarico, what kind of firewire connector is on the PC, and how is it labeled?

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2006, 12:58 PM

If Apple sells a wall charger I wouldn't think it would matter. Unless your outlets are formatted PC

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 01:35 PM

This is somewhat related, I'm wondering if someone can offer a suggestion>

Basically, I have a Mac formated iPod 5G, but use a PC at work. I want to plug the ipod into my PC, solely to charge it. I know it can't act as disk, just need the juice. It charges fine, but has the "do not disconnect" image on it. When I "Eject USB Hardware" and get it back, it stops charging, despite still being plugged in. On a Mac, it'll still charge, even ejected, so I can play music through it, but not here. Is this just another Windows thing to deal with? If it were formatted for Windows, would it not have this problem, or does that happen to all Windows users. I might try formatting it for Windows this weekend, but thought I'd check first. All else fails, I'll be dragging the AC adapter to work along with the cable.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by ninjarico
I used my iPod with my MAC
You mean you used your iPod with your Mac. It's not all capitalized.

MAC = Media Access Control, not the computer.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 20, 2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Avenir
When I "Eject USB Hardware" and get it back, it stops charging, despite still being plugged in. On a Mac, it'll still charge, even ejected, so I can play music through it, but not here.
Some computers turn off a USB host if the only device plugged into it is ejected, while others don't. By turning off the host, the iPod no longer sees it as a good source of power, so it won't charge. This is also true of using a powered USB hub for charging; when the computer it's plugged into is off, an iPod will NOT charge from it.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 07:09 PM

That sounds reasonable. I'll try the format this weekend, but as with what you said, I feel like it probably won't work. Maybe I'll have to plug my mouse or something into the front ports, trick the computer into keeping them active... Thanks for the info.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Forum Links
Forum Rules