Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Back Up, Format, Restore

Back Up, Format, Restore
NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 10:51 AM

Hey, kinda new to macs, i'll openly admit that, just wondering if there is a way to just pick up everything on my mac, do a full drop onto a external HDD format mac and then restore to exsactly the same state, quiestion is why would u ever wanna do that? well i buggered up bootcamp due to bad instalation and have tried alot of things to sort the problem i have out (in a nut shell cant install windows because even if i restore to one drive in boot camp and then re partision and try to install again it only shows me one drive i can install to which is 170 GB "partistion 1" which if i do (whi i have done before at xmas) leaves me with only windows on mac and 170 GB of my 250 GB HDD with no way of getting OS X back apart from full format)

so basicaly need to reformat HDD so can set up bootcamp but dont wanna reinstall everything (programs) ect just want it to be how it is on a fresh format, and drop back from the external

Sorry if my discription is crap feel free to ask quiestions

Thanks

Matt

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2007, 11:10 AM

Boot from the OS X install disc, and upon doing so, select the archive and install option. This should allow your home (user) folder to remain intact (i.e. all your applications, documents, pictures, etc), and install a fresh copy of the OS.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 12:38 PM

Could that possible solve my problem without the use of external HDD (which i have the money for but no desprate need to buy would rather wait till Leopard)

Thanks
Matt

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2007, 01:06 PM

I've not dealt with Boot Camp before, but it's nothing more than a boot-loader, right? If so, a reinstall of OS X should overwrite and erase it, since it's a system-level application, rather than one personally associated to your user account. Upon reinstalling OS X, you should be able to re-install Boot Camp and start again.

It's your call.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 01:17 PM

brilliant, i shall dig out my discs and give that a shot, its been a funny one, on ones had a clue how to fix it, cause it u use boot camp to put the HDD back to normal (one volume) its ment to restore the drive to 250 which it does but then on running boot camp again setting a partision to 32 GB for windows and then when u boot into windows installer it only finds one volume of 170 GB a well random number lol, it should find 3 volums.

I shall boot from discs and look at my options.

Matt

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 01:19 PM

Hey ndptal

does that allow me to back up the whole thing, everything, thinking all my Uni work/Design work needs backing up anyway onto Win Laptop before i do anything just in case lol.

Thanks
Matt

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2007, 01:20 PM

Hey crazyreaper,

You need to use a program called Super Duper which you can get from Shirt Pocket Software. Google for it. Its free for full backups/clones and its braindead easy to use.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2007, 01:33 PM

Crazyeraper,

Super Duper lets you backup any HFS+ formatted volume to any other HFS+ formatted volume. It actually reformats the destination drive before beginning the backup process. So you can't back your Mac up to your Windows laptop. The drive formats aren't teh same. HFS+ vs NTFS. What you can do is find someone with an external HD or even just a large 2GB+ flash drive and move your work/design files to your PC laptop that way.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ndptal85 View Post
Crazyeraper,

Super Duper lets you backup any HFS+ formatted volume to any other HFS+ formatted volume. It actually reformats the destination drive before beginning the backup process. So you can't back your Mac up to your Windows laptop. The drive formats aren't teh same. HFS+ vs NTFS. What you can do is find someone with an external HD or even just a large 2GB+ flash drive and move your work/design files to your PC laptop that way.
think u got the wrong end of the stick, i think before i start playing around do anything i should back my important files up (via wireless) over my network to a folder on my Win Laptop just to be extra safe. then do the reinstall/backup via softwear to Externa/whatever.

Matt

Forum Links
Forum Rules