Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car Talk

Car Talk (Page 18)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2019, 10:55 PM

Seat beads apparently precipitate a critical ass breakdown at about the two hour mark.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2019, 12:40 PM

Decided to retire these beads. Not giving up entirely, but the idea is on hold right now.

Next up is I liked what the Rain-X did for my underwater camera dome, so I’m trying some Aquapel, which people claim lasts significantly longer between applications.

After that is a Bluetooth speakerphone. I used to drive so infrequently, I would just ignore phone calls in the car, but that’s become untenable. It’s also recently become illegal here to diddle with a cell phone while driving. You are allowed one touch to answer a call. Anything else is a ticket.

Edit: the haze with Aquapel is really a bitch.

Edit 2: got the hang of it... didn’t wipe it off fast enough the first time.
( Last edited by subego; Sep 14, 2019 at 02:28 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 16, 2019, 08:27 AM

I think Iowa has a loophole where you can interact with the phone for nav purposes.

Text-to-speech and speech-to-text have transformed my in-car cell phone usage. My car will read the texts to me, and I can trigger Siri from a steering wheel button to tell her what to reply. My phone stays in my pocket.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2019, 11:29 AM

I should probably start doing that.

What’s stopped me is Siri is dumb. Like, dog dumb.

andi*pandi
Sep 16, 2019, 11:45 AM

These laws discriminate against people with old cars! There are regular laws against being distracted, looking at your phone too much is a distraction, so is trying to wrangle a paper map, a crying child, barking dog, big mac.

My car can't do fancy stuff from the steering wheel, so put it in the cupholder most of the time. I do use Siri a ton to send texts and emails. People have gotten used to the odd translation.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2019, 12:15 PM

I looked over our law, and it’s typical Illinois overdoing it.

Except for the one touch to answer a call, all touching of electronic devices is prohibited unless you’re in park. This includes the GPS, and includes being stopped at a stoplight.

I know people on their phones at stoplights is annoying, but it’s not really dangerous. Annoying behavior shouldn’t be a crime.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2019, 12:47 PM

I know it sounds extreme, but you know what should be illegal?

Crossing the street while looking at your cell phone. This really freaks me out when I see it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 16, 2019, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
These laws discriminate against people with old cars! There are regular laws against being distracted, looking at your phone too much is a distraction, so is trying to wrangle a paper map, a crying child, barking dog, big mac.
I always try to be wary of complaining. People love complaining and if there's nothing valid to complain about, they'll find something.

People love to talk about "back in my day!" The people that do this typically have no sense of perspective and no actual valid recollections about how things were in "their day."

When it comes to texting and driving, you get a combo of the above. An opportunity for people to complain, and especially to complain about something new, something new that kids or women are doing.

So I'm pretty wary of texting-while-driving complaints. But I think there is something to it.

Sure, as long as driving has existed, distracted driving has existed. I remember on a road trip growing up looking over and seeing someone with a novel propped up on their steering wheel while on the interstate.

But each of your examples of distractions are low percentage items - for every hour spent driving, only a minute or two are likely spent dealing with eating, mapping, barking, or crying. But now 100% of the time you drive, you have a phone in your pocket, purse, or lap. And phones and apps are 100% designed to psychologically maximize engagement. You have to take specific, active steps to avoid those psychological triggers.

Add to that brains that are trained to receive maximum stimulation at all times, and you get people bored with just simply driving, and a beeping, buzzing, ever-present solution to that boredom.

Hands-free isn't really a solution either. Everything I've seen says that hands-free talking isn't any less distracting than holding the phone, as your limited attention capacity is still divided.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2019, 12:57 PM

I have no trouble believing the argument that texting while driving is like, a really, really bad idea.

I admit, I base this somewhat on my own experience of narrowly avoiding death when texting while driving “back in the day”.

andi*pandi
Sep 16, 2019, 01:05 PM

texting while driving, absolutely. you have to look and use hands. I also realized that wasn't worth it.

but...

siri transcription? like talking to a passenger?
changing music? like changing a radio station?
looking at Maps? like looking at a map?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2019, 01:20 PM

siri transcription? like talking to a passenger?
A conversation is distracting. I'd also argue Siri is worse because you know she won't understand what you're saying so you have to listen closely to her repeat it and then yell and get frustrated and more distracted.

changing music? like changing a radio station?
Cycling through presets with a few big physical preset buttons or steering wheel buttons is a lot different from looking at a touchscreen, reading it, and finding some inexplicably small hit box while in a moving car. Note that I also hate cars with built-in touchscreen radio controls.

looking at Maps? like looking at a map?
I'd wager that this is the one that's way better - spoken directions based on an input destination is miles better than a paper map and trying to figure out your orientation every time you look back at the map. But is this level of navigation needed more than a couple times per year for most people? You don't need it during your normal commute or in your hometown. People use nav more now because there's no need to pre-plan a drive or route. Hop in and go, the phone will figure out my route for me.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2019, 01:23 PM

I’ve almost wiped out looking at a map.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2019, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'd wager that this is the one that's way better - spoken directions based on an input destination is miles better than a paper map and trying to figure out your orientation every time you look back at the map. But is this level of navigation needed more than a couple times per year for most people? You don't need it during your normal commute or in your hometown. People use nav more now because there's no need to pre-plan a drive or route. Hop in and go, the phone will figure out my route for me.
I “need” GPS (Waze) on my commute to route me around traffic.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2019, 08:45 PM

This is what I settled on...

It’s actually huge. Like, the diameter of a baseball. It’s $21, so not the end of the world if it sucks.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07...b_b_asin_image

reader50
Administrator
Sep 16, 2019, 09:54 PM

All it needs is a flush handle near the top left. To complete the look.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2019, 07:14 AM

It’s got auto-butt detection.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2019, 08:09 PM

Aquapel got a test today. Light to moderate rain in the daytime.

It provides an undeniably superior view through a wet windshield in exchange for having to manage wiper chatter.The forward sweep of the wiper effectively dries the window. There’s no lube for the backsweep.

The one exception was moderate rain with the wipers on maximum. Lower speeds still had chatter. My guess is the aggressive sweep was flinging water onto dry windshield.

So, I dunno... I kinda like it sorta maybe I guess.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2019, 08:11 AM

The inside of my windshield has been really foggy lately with the cooler/humid mornings. I've used Rain-X interior fog treatment a few times but I'm not sure I'm happy with it, I usually end up with streaks. Probably my fault for doing a bad job at it, but I'd prefer something good enough that I can't mess up.
( Last edited by Laminar; Sep 23, 2019 at 12:44 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2019, 10:01 AM

My solution is to start smoking.

Then you keep the window open.

P
Sep 23, 2019, 12:52 PM

The inside of my windshield has been really foggy lately with the cooler/humid mornings. I've used Rain-X interior fog treatment a few times but I'm not sure I'm happy with it, I usually end up with streaks. Probably my fault for doing a bad job at it, but I'd prefer something good enough that I can't mess up.
Get something that absorbs water. I have a bag that you recharge in the microwave every so often.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2019, 02:30 PM

Ooo, great idea! Something like this?

P
Sep 24, 2019, 09:55 AM

Exactly. Mine is slightly fancier (it has a color-shifting penguin that tells when it is time to recharge) but it seems to work the same.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2019, 11:57 AM

Also considering tinting my rear windows. My wife's car came from the factory with tinted rear windows, which are nice for keep the car cool and shading the kids from sun. Iowa law allows no less than 70% up front, but any darkness in back.

The forums claim that factory tint is roughly 22%, which I think is a bit dark. It makes backing up in the dark difficult. My old Contour was super dark front and rear (came from Illinois where that was legal) and it was a nightmare trying to back up in a tight, dark parking lot. Wife (then girlfriend) almost put it into a ditch backing up too far one time because there was basically no way to tell where you're at.

I also got pulled over several times for the front windows being tinted too dark, and ended up with one fix-it ticket for like $80.

I can buy pre-cut tint with an install kit for ~$80 that will do the rear doors and rear windshield. I've never installed tint before and might be bad at it.

Or I can have a local dealership do the same thing for $200.

I assume the dealer parts and installation quality will be better. I assume I'll spend at least a half day being grumpy and frustrated. I assume I'll make at least one or two mistakes that will haunt me every time I look at the car. After typing all of that out, it seems like just having the pros do it is a better idea.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2019, 01:15 PM

Would a Pimp my Ride type place be cheaper?

The place which did my dashcam install does tints.

andi*pandi
Sep 24, 2019, 01:20 PM

Go with the pros, or the wrinkle you couldn't smooth will bug you forever.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2019, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Would a Pimp my Ride type place be cheaper?

The place which did my dashcam install does tints.
Maybe. Not many window tinting places on the side of town I live on (or auto parts stores for that matter). Suburbia is the worst.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2019, 01:48 PM

Go with the pros, or the wrinkle you couldn't smooth will bug you forever.
100% for sure.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2019, 03:03 PM

Rented a van this weekend. Piece of shit Ford E250 cargo, which sees lots of abuse.

Place I rented it from says I caused this. Have no recollection of it happening.

They want over a $1,000 for it. Is that as insane as it sounds?

andi*pandi
Sep 24, 2019, 03:16 PM

you could have been sideswiped while parked. But frankly that looks like it'd buff right out.

Also, cargo van. No way I'd pay $1000. Extortion.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2019, 03:32 PM

Sideswipe while parked is unlikely, since it’s passenger side.

But, yeah... whatever the case, it’s becoming obvious I can no longer do business with these people.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2019, 04:10 PM

It's all the way through the paint and it looks like the metal in the fender flares is creased. I wouldn't doubt it'd cost that much to fix it correctly. I also wouldn't be surprised if the last guy caused the damage and they already got money out of him.

A lot of places I've rented from in bigger cities have cameras that record the car leaving and returning so you for sure know if you caused any damage. But any outfit still renting out an E250 feels like they'd be scammers.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 24, 2019, 05:08 PM

Ask to see their security footage when you departed. Showing you getting in the van, then the side with the damage. Hopefully with you visible through the window.

If they can't produce the footage, then you'll know.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Ask to see their security footage when you departed. Showing you getting in the van, then the side with the damage. Hopefully with you visible through the window.

If they can't produce the footage, then you'll know.
That’s in the “nuclear option” pile. At that point I’m basically accusing them of lying.

Unfortunately, it’s also not impossible it’s my fault somehow. My only evidence it’s not is me not being aware of it happening.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 24, 2019, 06:06 PM

With $1,000 in dispute, it pays to be sure. I don't see that as nuclear, I see it as needing to see proof of a non-trivial expense. Bring the thousand in if that makes you feel better (in singles), and just say you need to see the security camera proof.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2019, 09:15 PM

If you’re renting a vehicle, you have to take at least four or five walkaround pictures before you drive off. Lesson learned.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2019, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
If you’re renting a vehicle, you have to take at least four or five walkaround pictures before you drive off. Lesson learned.
Eh...

I mean, I’m not saying this is bad advice or anything, but I’m not really complaining about the accusation.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2019, 01:17 AM

It's all the way through the paint and it looks like the metal in the fender flares is creased. I wouldn't doubt it'd cost that much to fix it correctly. I also wouldn't be surprised if the last guy caused the damage and they already got money out of him.

A lot of places I've rented from in bigger cities have cameras that record the car leaving and returning so you for sure know if you caused any damage. But any outfit still renting out an E250 feels like they'd be scammers.
It’s definitely an unusual outfit.

Back when such a thing was still conceivable, they were a successful “mom and pop” competitor to U-Haul. As that row became tougher to hoe, instead of getting plowed under they pivoted to serving the local film industry’s need for fleet vehicles.

They’ve cornered that market, which is unlikely if scamming was a large part of their business model. It’s a small enough market everyone knows each other, so they need an intact reputation. Further, it’s not like U-Haul still isn’t an option. Even more, there’s plenty of money to be made just serving the market. I’ve been spending $600 a month renting vans there since July.

Up until this point, they’ve been great. There’s no upsell. I can smoke. Get this... for gas they charge the actual price of gas. The E250 is a piece of shit, but I’ve been conditioned to expect that from a fleet rental.

There is one thing though. The place gives off exactly the same vibe as an old-school mechanic. I feel it may be in their nature to take some people for a ride.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2019, 09:56 AM

hard to tell from the pics, but to me, this doesn’t look like a fresh “wound”.

The brownish areas, is this onset of rust ?

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2019, 11:36 AM

With $1,000 in dispute, it pays to be sure. I don't see that as nuclear, I see it as needing to see proof of a non-trivial expense. Bring the thousand in if that makes you feel better (in singles), and just say you need to see the security camera proof.
That’s a good point, but I rented on Friday, so now they could say they don’t have the tape, and may actually not even be lying.

andi*pandi
Sep 25, 2019, 12:35 PM

when you rent from enterprise they do the walkaround with you before you drive off the lot.

For you to do that to the passenger side, sideswipe something? park in a narrow alley? attempt to pass a cheese grater at 80mph?

reader50
Administrator
Sep 25, 2019, 01:37 PM

A relationship that long does suggest they're on the level. If you rent from them in future, take the insurance option.

The damage wasn't from another vehicle. There's no trace of paint from the other object, and whatever it was, it didn't give at all. Each protrusion maintained itself as the van went by. I'm picturing a concrete lane separator, or concrete pedestal for a parking lot light. You'd have felt it backing up. So if it happened on your watch, I'd guess it was while going forward, with enough road noise to miss it. Perhaps taking a turn while driving on gravel, and skimmed something.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2019, 02:51 PM

when you rent from enterprise they do the walkaround with you before you drive off the lot.
This place doesn’t, and I’m still somewhat convinced it’s a feature, not a bug.

If I’m renting from them I’m in a hurry by default

Usually, I end up driving off the lot less than five minutes after I’ve walked through the door. Take that, Enterprise!

[Redacted ]

I’m also beginning to think I’ve been taking this way too personally, and a default policy of asking for the full cost of repairs isn’t particularly unethical.

My current plan is to say I can run it through my own insurance, note it’s unlikely either of us are pleased with that option, and see if terms can be negotiated we’d both be happy with.

Edit: or not... forgot my own deductible is $1K.
( Last edited by subego; Sep 25, 2019 at 07:56 PM. )

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2019, 03:10 PM

ooooh.

Fastest Car season 2 on "The Flix"

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80190009

The mini one is mental.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2019, 10:36 AM

Well, I called, begged for mercy, and they dropped it to $500.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2019, 12:07 PM

A relationship that long does suggest they're on the level. If you rent from them in future, take the insurance option.

The damage wasn't from another vehicle. There's no trace of paint from the other object, and whatever it was, it didn't give at all. Each protrusion maintained itself as the van went by. I'm picturing a concrete lane separator, or concrete pedestal for a parking lot light. You'd have felt it backing up. So if it happened on your watch, I'd guess it was while going forward, with enough road noise to miss it. Perhaps taking a turn while driving on gravel, and skimmed something.
I mentioned this earlier, deleted it, but now it doesn’t matter.

There was a point where I may have scraped a FedEx truck. I dismissed it at the time because at exactly that moment the FedEx driver slammed his truck door.

I actually did have their insurance, but it’s a $1K deductible. If Laminar hadn’t said the estimate was accurate, I’d raise my eyebrow over the estimate just happening to be $1K.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 26, 2019, 12:53 PM

The FedEx truck was white. I couldn't see any trace of a different paint color in the scrapes. But missed the obvious - a same-color vehicle would not leave a visible trace.

Next time, scrape a UPS or DHL truck. Dark brown or yellow = easier to see.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2019, 01:25 PM

Ah, so THAT'S what Brown can do for you.

andi*pandi
Sep 26, 2019, 02:27 PM

Subego, since you've fessed up, the $500 seems like a fair deal.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2019, 02:36 PM

Subego, since you've fessed up, the $500 seems like a fair deal.
Well, now I have to fess up I didn’t fess up.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2019, 01:11 AM

Wait, didn’t you have one of those econovans? Why are you renting? Did you get rid of it?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules