Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Need a font ID, please!

Need a font ID, please!
Thorzdad
May 3, 2012, 10:25 AM

A little job landed in my lap last night. I have to match the font used on a local brew pub's label. I've been really struggling matching it up to anything I have or can easily find. What The Font was useless. Identifont was even worse. Hopefully, you folks can ID this thing.

The closest font in my active collection is Goudy Bookletter, but there are slight differences. In Bookletter, the tail on the small-y doesn't swoop down as far as this sample does. Also, the capital-A in this mystery font has an extended tip at the apex. Bookletter doesn't.

Anyway, I figure if anyone can come-up with a match to these lower-case samples, the caps will probably match, too. Particularly, pay attention to the join of the middle ascenders of the cap-W, the canted small-e, the small-g, the swoopy small-y, and the tall neck of the small-a. I think those details are key.

Thanks in advance!

And, I'm really sorry for the craptastic image quality. This is what I was given to work from. In typical small-client fashion, they don't have the original art.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2012, 11:10 AM

Have you tried Google image search ?

Individual letters

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

andi*pandi
May 3, 2012, 11:25 AM

Googling "les miserables" font I got to Caslon Antique, which has lots of crappy shareware versions and is probably where small client got the font. The lowercase y looks right, but the W is not.

Caslon Antique - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Maybe searching for antique fonts could help?

Garamond Old Claude is another old-looking serif font, but not as distressed as this. Hard to tell though if the distressing is part of the font or just craptastic quality art, as you say.

the i-dot as a leaf is distinctive.

Thorzdad  (op)
May 3, 2012, 11:36 AM

The distressing is, I think, the craptastic image, and not intentional.
The extended tip on the cap-A of the mystery font points to the right, btw. Should have mentioned that, as it's kind of unusual.
( Last edited by Thorzdad; May 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM. )

mooblie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2012, 12:07 PM

Try this:
What Font is
Martin in the Scottish Highlands

Thorzdad  (op)
May 10, 2012, 12:36 PM

I'll be darned. I've never seen that particular font site before. And it found the font! Talapanna Bold.
Much thanks!

mooblie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2012, 12:49 PM

Glad it worked!
Martin in the Scottish Highlands

andi*pandi
May 10, 2012, 02:15 PM

Excellent!

Interestingly, Google says that Talapanna Bold is based on GoudyHundred, so we were close with our Goudy Guesses. (Well I was thinking it, )

Forum Links
Forum Rules