Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Monitor scratch

Monitor scratch
Trapper
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 1999, 02:07 AM

I've just noticed that my new iMac 350 has a small scratch on the monitor - vertical, about 2cm, 1 inch up from the bottom, just to the right of the middle. I'm not sure how long it's been there. It's really only noticible when the screen is white. However, not that I've noticed it seems glaringly obvious, and very irritating. Is there any way to get rid of this scratch? It doesn't seem too deep. I seem to recall something about toothpaste being good for glass scratches, but I'm very reluctant to start rubbing toothpaste on my screen. How about glass rubbing compound? Would that work? Alternatively, I could just but one of those anti-glare protectors. Would this help to make the scratch less noticable? Any suggestions?

Travis Hreno
Department of Philosophy
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario
CANADA
[email protected]
Travis

Ca$h68
Banned
Nov 30, 1999, 06:24 AM

toothpaste is for plastic dude.... if you rubbed toothpaste on your screen it would take years to work out. Go nab some glass rubbing stuff at an auto store, it will come right out.
Ca$h

Trapper  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 1999, 04:51 PM

Just an update here. I talked with Apple and with the retailer who sold me the computer, and they have agreed to replace the whole unit. This is kind of a good news/bad news deal for me. I've just spent the last two weeks cutomizing and tweaking the iMac to the point where it's just the way I want it. Additionally, I've spent countless hours online downloading software and updates, such as the latest versions of OutlookExpress and Netscape. Oh well, back to the drawing board. On the plus side, I will have a new scratch free monitor and since I've just ordered system 9 on the Apple up-to-date program, I can just load it up and not have to worry about the clean install screwing up all of my preferences - I won't have any preferences to screw up.

------------------
Travis

Forum Links
Forum Rules