Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Switching

Switching
Beerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 06:51 PM

I just ordered a new 12" 60GB/Super/768 for work - I am switching from a Gateway Solo. I already have an older 500Mhz iMac at at home, and consider myself fairly proficient at both Windows as well as Mac (both pre- and post- Mac OS X).

The only software I ordered was Office v.X Professional - will upgrade to 2004 when Virtual PC 7 comes out. I have to do a fair amount of work on a proprietary piece of software from our parent company (Anheuser-Busch).

Anybody have suggestions about other things I may need (or want)? I don't do any programming, but some print design as a hobby.

Thanks for your help!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2004, 08:11 PM

check this thread over in the software forum

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?threadid=209787

vinster
Senior User
May 31, 2004, 08:11 PM

Congrats on the purchase. I love my 15" 1.5 ghz PB.

A couple of things you might think about are Adobe CS bundle as it's got everything from web to page layout and you might want to think about getting Office 2004 now and then just upgrading VPC when it comes out.

Cheers,

Beerman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 09:54 PM

The only reason I didn't get 2004 now is that it is a free upgrade - if I wait until the whole Professional suite comes out, I can upgrade for free as compared to buying regular office 2004 now and having to pay for the VPC 7 upgrade later.

What about virus protection? I am very used to Norton (as the IT manager at work, I run Norton AntiVirus on every Win PC) - what do others use?

vinster
Senior User
Jun 1, 2004, 04:04 PM

Apple has it's own anti-virus program which is free if you have a .mac membership (you should get an offer for .mac with your new computer). Norton also has anti-virus software. Not sure which is best as I don't have any installed on my primary partition.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 04:22 PM

Usually Norton's automated processes cause more problems then they solve. If you get Norton, turn off all it's automatic stuff and do virus checks manually. I'd say if you want antivirus software get MacAfee's from the .Mac membership or don't get any. Macs have very few, if any viruses. We generally get to work while all the PCs get hit.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 02:19 PM

Instead of spending the money on Virtual PC, I would build/buy a low cost windows desktop. Using Micrsofts remote desktop cliient you can run the XP box remotely and take advantage of its own processing speed to run your proprietary software. It blows VPC out of the waterin terms of speed.

the only drawback to that is if you don't have a internet, network connection to that Win XP box, then you'll have to use Virtual PC.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

Beerman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2004, 04:23 PM

Yee-haw! Just arrived, it is now sitting on my desk charging up!

cambro
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 05:41 PM

I agree with the posters above. Why do you need antivirus software on OS X? Right now, it just isn't a problem....knock on wood.

Unless you are constantly downloading and opening MS WORD attachments from unknown sources, I'd say don't bother with antivirus stuff. I've been running OS X in an academic setting for many years on many machines, some of which are always wide open, and I've yet to see a virus or other problem that could be solved by Norton et al.

beanman
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2004, 05:57 PM

An external, optical mouse is always nice to have. You might be a trackpad ninja, but an external USB mouse has its merits. Two button plus scroll wheel is what I have at home, trackpad it at work. Just my thought.

PowerBook 17" | 1GHz | 1Gb RAM | 60G

Forum Links
Forum Rules