Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > having a really hard time 15" or 17"

having a really hard time 15" or 17"
ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 03:24 AM

I just sold my ibook 1ghz and am going to buy a powerbook. I have a few questions first though.

Is the 128mb VRAM worth the upgrade even if all I am using is photoshop and I don't game?

I believe unless I get the 17" I will have the superdrive pulled as I already have a lacie external burner. If that makes a difference on which I should get.

Do you with the 15" wish you would have gotten the 17" and vice versa for those with the 17".

Thanks in advance for any help, I have been doing a lot of reading and this is a great site.

Also I am kind of worried about having it delivered to my apartment which is kind of making me shy away from a BTO. UPS has not been known to be the best at leaving packages in the office with my manager. What would yo all recommend?

dwood
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2005, 03:30 AM

if you got an apple store by you i would advise stopping, the 17" screen is definitely nice, but it's a big big laptop. If you're coming from an ibook the powerbook screen is gonna be a huge improvement.
As far as the external you have, it's what $150? Sell the lacie on ebay, and be happy that you dont have to lug around a big external drive to burn dvd, just my 2 cents anyway. Good huntin!
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5/100gb/768/SD/APX
MacMini goodness... want one? http://tinyurl.com/4dww8

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 03:35 AM

I am trying to sell it on ebay, that's what I thought too. How about the graphics card upgrade?

I am also looking at the radtech loop bags, are they made well, well padded? I want good protection for my new pbook.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2005, 04:15 AM

I personally have a 15", and though I would sometimes love the extra screan space that the 17" has, It wouldn't be practical for me. The 15" is even a little big to cram into some classrooms, the 17" definitely wouldn't work for me, but it might for you. For a 17" laptop it probably the smallest on the market dimention and weight wise.

I definitely would recomend the superdrive. I personally swapped out the SD on my book for a combo drive b/c I had an external burner. I wish I would have stuck with the superdrive. One reason I didn't was b/c it was only -R at the time. I would also recomend the extra vram just for the sake of future proofing yourself if for nothing else (that is if the extra $100 is doable for you).

As for radtech I like their stuff, but I can't comment on their bags. I do have a notebook sleave that I got from them, and it's great quality and affords a decent amount of protection. For bags I would recomend Crumpler or The North Face.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 04:35 AM

well the 15in is probably more realistic for me as well. The 17in is GREAT but it does seem a little large too me, then I look at the 15in right next to it at the apple store and it looks too small, AAAAAHHHHHHHHH. I guess without the 17in next to it, the 15in would probably look perfect right? I am cool with doing a BTO, but am still kind of worried about not being here when UPS shows up and my manager possibly not signing for it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2005, 06:17 AM

I think with the previous revision the 128 MB VRAM BTO upgrade was a no brainer because it was so cheap. Now, it's become more expensive (probably due to the added DDL functionality). For the $100 surcharge, I'm really wondering if it's worth it.

Some time ago Barefeats did a comparison between 128MB and 64MB Radeon Mobility 9700 in the PowerBook. Rob-Art concluded with

CONCLUSION #1: It DOES make a difference if you run 3D apps at extreme settings. But Quartz 2D and Quartz Extreme operations are not enhanced with extra video memory.
It's true that the VRAM can't be upgraded, so I guess if you're planning on keeping the PowerBook a couple of years the 128 MB upgrade makes sense, but otherwise, I'm not sure...
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 4, 2005 at 06:28 AM. )

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 11:19 AM

yeah I would be running no 3d apps, but if it will bnefit tiger, then maybe. I just don't see a benefit if I will never a) hok it up to a 30in b) game at all c) edit video. I will b doing none of these, so...I still am unsure about the video card uprade.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2005, 11:31 AM

I have the feeling that Tiger won't run any differently with 64 MB or 128 MB VRAM. I doubt even on a 30" ACD you'd notice anything. Tiger is an OS, CoreGraphics is an OS framework. I find it hard to imagine that such things will need the kind of VRAM up to now only heavy duty 3D games and professional 3D apps like Motion use. But this is just my guess.

If you aren't poor, you could just go ahead and get the 128 MB VRAM because there is no way to get more later, but if you're on a tight budget, I think this is one of the areas I'd try to save money.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 11:57 AM

ero2:

The big question, I think, is whether or not you're willing to hook up your PowerBook-to-be to an external display for your Photoshop work.

If you are, then a 15" is fine. It has all the features you need in a smaller form. However, if the PowerBook's display is the only display, go straight to the 17" PowerBook. As a Photoshop user, you'll want as much screen area as you can realistically manage - and if that means having a largish laptop, so be it.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 12:58 PM

as soon as I have an apartment big enough for my own desk, I will FOR SURE, but right now, cause when we moved in my girl's computer was the fastest we have it on the desk, so I have my lacie external burner, my firewrie drive and all plug ins on the kitchen table which has never been used for dinner, but is now my makeshift desk, I have no where to put an external display. The 17in just seems almost too large to be portable to me.

As long as the graphics card is okay at 64mb even with the improvements from tiger, I think I am just going to pick up the 15" combo. Now do I save 30$ cause I have an apple coupon for use online or do I go to the apple store up the street and get it right away?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by ero2:

As long as the graphics card is okay at 64mb even with the improvements from tiger, I think I am just going to pick up the 15" combo. Now do I save 30$ cause I have an apple coupon for use online or do I go to the apple store up the street and get it right away? [/B]
Sounds like a plan, and I don't think you have to worry about Tiger eating away at your VRAM.

As far as buying goes, I don't think $30 matters much versus the convenience of simply picking up the PowerBook at an Apple store. You get it much faster, and you'll have a receipt to show to the Apple store reps if you ever need a return or a repair.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
I have the feeling that Tiger won't run any differently with 64 MB or 128 MB VRAM. I doubt even on a 30" ACD you'd notice anything.
Weeeeellllll, the thing you would notice is that you cannot run a 30" LCD off of the 64MB card, but you can on the 128MB card.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2005, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
Weeeeellllll, the thing you would notice is that you cannot run a 30" LCD off of the 64MB card, but you can on the 128MB card.

Right. My bad.

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 07:37 PM

unfortunately, no matter how bad I want one, a 20-23" is as big as I would ever go, so if I am not getting a 30" the 64mb graphics card will do me perfectly fine correct?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 10:04 PM

unfortunately, no matter how bad I want one, a 20-23" is as big as I would ever go, so if I am not getting a 30" the 64mb graphics card will do me perfectly fine correct?
You're correct. The only thing that might happen is that Expos� may not be as fast as it would be on the PowerBook's display alone, but it would be far from choppy if my own experience is any measure. And what you could always do if you wanted to would be to run the PowerBook in lid-closed mode, using only the external display when you're at home. You'd need an external mouse and keyboard, of course, but then you'll at least have the mouse if you're going to be using Photoshop!

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 11:00 PM

I am also thining about buying a BT mouse and a timbuk2 bag while I am there. And then when I get my tax return a corded keyboard and an icurve fo one day when I can have a desk again :-)

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 11:09 PM

also, can anyon recommend a good firewire/USB hub? cheaper but good functioning the better, I am gonna be way tapped out.

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2005, 04:12 AM

part of me really wants to get a 12" and then get a 17in older LCD from macofalltrades for like 449. I think I am going to stick with the 15in though, but for some reason that setup sounds like fun too.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2005, 06:51 AM

part of me really wants to get a 12" and then get a 17in older LCD from macofalltrades for like 449. I think I am going to stick with the 15in though, but for some reason that setup sounds like fun too.
I have a 12" PB for portability reasons and a 20" ACD I hook up to when I'm at home or in the office. The setup is very nice because you get portability and large screen area. Only downside is fan noise.

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2005, 06:57 PM

Do you with the 15" wish you would have gotten the 17" and vice versa for those with the 17".
I went through this same battle myself. Ultimately, I decided that screen real estate pays for itself over time. Although you can never know ahead of time when you are going to find yourself needing just an inch more of screen to make things work the way you want to, it's prolly going to happen.

As far as the video ram? I say, you're spending a lot on this laptop already, and it has all these cool input-output features on it. Don't hobble it with less video ram. You can't upgrade it, and software requirements only have one way to go: up.

Also I am kind of worried about having it delivered to my apartment which is kind of making me shy away from a BTO. UPS has not been known to be the best at leaving packages in the office with my manager. What would yo all recommend?
I called the Apple store rep and mentioned this to him, as I also live in an apartment building. I wanted to ask him if he could ship it to my school or something, even if I ordered it through him. He turned candid and said, "You know, you should do what all of us do here: order it and have it shipped to work."

I can't believe I had never thought to do that, but sure enough, my business said it would be fine to have a few things delivered there. Benefit? I don't have to be around to sign for the box.

Mark

reybart
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2005, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
ero2:

The big question, I think, is whether or not you're willing to hook up your PowerBook-to-be to an external display for your Photoshop work.

If you are, then a 15" is fine. It has all the features you need in a smaller form. However, if the PowerBook's display is the only display, go straight to the 17" PowerBook. As a Photoshop user, you'll want as much screen area as you can realistically manage - and if that means having a largish laptop, so be it.
This answers my question! I also have difficulty of deciding whether 15 or 17 or buying a dispaly instead.In fact I just went to apple store and still undecided after examining all of them. Now I know!

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2005, 06:58 AM

well, I am still agonizing over this decision, I thought I decided on the 15" combo, then I looked through the show your pics thread and found I really like even the 12", then I decided that I should, since I don't have a desktop or a desk really, to go with the 17in. Right now I am on the standard 17" for 2699, how hard is it to find a case for the 17in PBs though? I still think the 15" is the best compromise but something keeps pulling me back to the 17in. Sorry for making it it's just a hard decision as you all know.

I think it is: well I should get 128 mb vram, well if I am gonna o that I should get the superdrive, well, if I get both of those I should just get the 17in, mentality, I am very weak willed.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2005, 08:34 AM

You could of course get a loaded 17" and if it turns out to be too bulky, you just sell it off and buy a 15" or even 12". New PowerBooks retain value very well; you shouldn't lose much money with the 17". And since you would be selling the most expensive PowerBook, a 15" or 12" would certainly leave you with some spare cash. This may sound kind of crazy, but no test reports are as good as your own user experience.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 08:51 AM

I know a couple people with the 17 inch and they *never* takes theirs anywhere. I checked, and it won't fit into any of my computer or backpacks (too tall). The 15 inch I own, however, is quite portable, and the screen is still quite nice. The screen is still rather wide, and really expos� makes it easier to deal with clutter anyhow.

The way I see it, a laptop must be portable, otherwise you can spend the same $$ for a better desktop.

So: Get a 15 or a 12 and a nice monitor.

You probably won't need the 128 mb vram for photoshop, but if you're saving on the 15 or 12, why not?

Adopt-A-Yankee

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2005, 09:23 AM

A 17 is portable.

I have one and use it portably as well as my home "desktop". I have a Radtech case and a bag for it. I fly quite a bit, including internationally and have never had a problem with the 17. I love the extra screen size. And it's light enough not to be a problem. It stays cooler than the smaller 'books and is champs in the laptop performance area as well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 09:47 AM

Well I fly loads as well and I can harldy (read: never) use my 15 inch on the plane (especially when the seats go back) - I couldn't imagine using a 17 inch. But then again, I fly economy. And I can't work on the plane anyway.

Of course the 17 is portable, and of course they make lots of nice cases for it. It comes down to comfort. You need to have one in front of you, pick it up, etc to see if it's really for you (Apple Store?).

The people I know with 17 inchers LOVE them, btw. They just don't really carry then around too much. They don't really need to either.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Beerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2005, 07:20 PM

I have a rev.c 12" and a 17" I bought a few weeks ago. The 12" is nice from a portability standpoint; I use mine a lot in retail accounts due to my line of work, and it works very well. However, the screen real estate is limited, and I use a space management program that really works better (and is easier on my eyes) with a bigger screen. Therefore, I use the 12" out of the office, and the 17" in the office. I have to say it was like moving from a Yugo to a Suburban, at least size-wise. Both are fast, although I think the 17" with 1GB runs a tad faster than the 12" with 1.25GB. Both are equally as stable. Obviously the sound from the stock speakers in the 17" are far superior, but that's not saying a lot. It is large, but not big, and there is a "large" difference IMHO.

I don't regret the purchase of either - both have made my job easier and have been great to work with. I am looking forward to some of the new stuff coming down the way - Tiger, iLife '05, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules