Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Store Mac Mini Lies?

Apple Store Mac Mini Lies?
Footy
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 08:16 PM

I was put on a waiting list for an Mac Mini a couple/few weeks ago at a local Apple Store. I called early last week to see where my name was and they tell me 7th on the list and that they are getting them in a few at a time.

I was in the area of the Apple Store today and dropped in to check on my status on the list. They tell me that if they check for my name on the list my name will drop to the bottom of the list. Huh! I was a little peeved and thought they are just trying to stop the hassle of checking for those of us checking in. I find it hard to believe they can't check for a name without it going to the bottom of a list, I mean is Apple software that bad!

I asked them if when I called earlier in the week and the person on the phone was more than willing to check for me if that caused me to go to the bottom of the list, they couldn't say and of course couldn't check without my name going to the bottom of said list. Geeesh! Sounds a bit silly to me, and a situation that works out great for Apple.

Anyway, I need this thing bad for my wife so I can get my Dual G4 bad to my desk where it belongs! Don't ask! I felt like running out and buying a PC!

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 08:28 PM

Sounds like bullshit.*

*I have no evidence to support this statement.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2005, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Footy:
I was put on a waiting list for an Mac Mini a couple/few weeks ago at a local Apple Store. I called early last week to see where my name was and they tell me 7th on the list and that they are getting them in a few at a time.

I was in the area of the Apple Store today and dropped in to check on my status on the list. They tell me that if they check for my name on the list my name will drop to the bottom of the list. Huh! I was a little peeved and thought they are just trying to stop the hassle of checking for those of us checking in. I find it hard to believe they can't check for a name without it going to the bottom of a list, I mean is Apple software that bad!

I asked them if when I called earlier in the week and the person on the phone was more than willing to check for me if that caused me to go to the bottom of the list, they couldn't say and of course couldn't check without my name going to the bottom of said list. Geeesh! Sounds a bit silly to me, and a situation that works out great for Apple.

Anyway, I need this thing bad for my wife so I can get my Dual G4 bad to my desk where it belongs! Don't ask! I felt like running out and buying a PC!

I would give them a break, just wait until it arrives. They probably have hundreds of people phoning asking the same question. Non to mention all the 11 yesr old girls phoning about thier iPod shuffles.

Its a stupid idea to put people to the bottom of the list if they ask where they are on the list. I doubt they would bother doing that unless you really pissed them off, why would they make more work (and hassle) for themselves?

Just chill and imagine it being asembled by little Tiawanese fingers.

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Its a stupid idea to put people to the bottom of the list if they ask where they are on the list. I doubt they would bother doing that unless you really pissed them off, why would they make more work (and hassle) for themselves?

Just chill and imagine it being asembled by little Tiawanese fingers.
Well I certainly didn't piss anyone off, just asked a few questions. First guy I talked to said he'd only been there a week or so and that I should check with someone else. They had the same story.

Side note: The first guy I talked to was blocking the Mini till a service guy got there for some reason.

FYI... I'm Taiwanese and my fingers are not little!!!

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2005, 09:39 PM

What a sticky situation!
-\
-/

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2005, 10:12 PM

Well I certainly didn't piss anyone off, just asked a few questions. First guy I talked to said he'd only been there a week or so and that I should check with someone else. They had the same story.

Side note: The first guy I talked to was blocking the Mini till a service guy got there for some reason.

is that the reason they treated you like this because you are Taiwanese? I do believe some people hate asians.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2005, 10:14 PM

I asked a few people I know at an Apple Store and they said this is definitely not "standard practice" within their store. Pending they have the time during your call, they have no problem looking up your place on the wait list. However, if they are busy then they will politely ask for you to call back a little bit later.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2005, 10:15 PM

Imagine, for a moment, how many people are on that list. Now, imagine how many of them call each day to find out where they are now on that list or if their mini has arrived yet. Having worked at an Apple reseller post big Apple announcement, I'm guessing around 50% of the people on that list call the store at least a couple times a week, some possibly every day. From personal experience, I say it's quite annoying. That the employees at that store had the guts to pull that is something anyone who has ever worked retail has gotta respect.

There's no need to call and check on the list. Your mini won't arrive any sooner.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2005, 10:37 PM

I was put on a waiting list for an Mac Mini ... I mean is Apple software that bad!
Quirky policy = bad software???

I would say "I just want to know when I can expect my computer". I've called people out on odd policies before and most of the time, it's one person's policy, not the companies policy.

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2005, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Quirky policy = bad software???

Just mean is it possible for their software to be programmed so badly that if they check my name it goes to the bottom of the list for searching my name. Doesn't make since and I'm sure it's not the case but that's what they eluded to.

I'm sure they are getting a lot of people asking to check on their status and understand how frustrating it must be for them dealing with a lack of product at the store. I'd just rather they said they can't then make something silly up.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2005, 11:03 PM

Yes they are.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2005, 11:42 PM

Just mean is it possible for their software to be programmed so badly that if they check my name it goes to the bottom of the list for searching my name. Doesn't make since and I'm sure it's not the case but that's what they eluded to.
Sounds like a splay tree to me (assuming the root is the last on the list).

In all honestly, sounds like bunk to me.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2005, 03:47 PM

I don't have to respect that, I worked retail at Sears, I regularly had customers calling to check if their merch was in. Then again we didn't always even answer the phone but that's cause we often weren't there because our division was under staffed... and I was under paid. But if a customer calls you treat them with the same respect you would want... even if it required your IQ to drop several points. So long as the customer treats you with respect there is no reason to lie to them... actually I'd say there's never a reason to lie to a customer.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2005, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
actually I'd say there's never a reason to lie to a customer.
Uhm, you'd be surprissed how the game is played if the sales people are paid strictly on commission.

-t

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2005, 04:20 PM

OK let me rephrase, there is never a VALID reason to lie to a customer. I had it when commission sales reps get all in your face... as far as I'm concerned it's not my job to pay your pay cheque so bugger off unless I actually want your assistance. Otherwise I'll walk out.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2005, 04:22 PM

OK let me rephrase, there is never a VALID reason to lie to a customer. I had it when commission sales reps get all in your face... as far as I'm concerned it's not my job to pay your pay cheque so bugger off unless I actually want your assistance. Otherwise I'll walk out.
Yep. I know. I agree. There's nothing more annoying than sales people all over you, pushing for a sale.

-t

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Yep. I know. I agree. There's nothing more annoying than sales people all over you, pushing for a sale.

-t
or best buy employee's pushing the service plans on you. but thats a seperate subject.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2005, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
or best buy employee's pushing the service plans on you. but thats a seperate subject.
It is very much related !

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2005, 05:40 PM

I don't have to respect that
Ok, perhaps "respect" was the wrong word. Maybe "envy" would be a little better (at least for me). The last retail job I had was at a University computer store. Having the only academic prices in town we had a fairly captive market, and our customer service reflected that. If the customer wanted to save 50-75% on Photoshop, they had to put up with us (rather than us put up with them). Sure, they'd complain, but they always came back (they had no choice).

I had even told a few snotty profs and law students where to go on occasion.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
I had even told a few snotty profs and law students where to go on occasion.
To the bathroom ?

-t

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2005, 07:34 PM

That's one thing, you're only a distributor the Apple store people are hired by Apple, specifically focusing on giving the customer the best experience possible.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2005, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by hardcat1970:
is that the reason they treated you like this because you are Taiwanese? I do believe some people hate asians.
its not that some people hate asians, its that some people hate the minority's in new york that happens to be asians.

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2005, 12:52 AM

last time I purchased a mac I whent to the Apple store and they said get in the que, so I contacted a Pro Mac reseller and they had one on the shelf, so I jumped in my car and hightailed it over there and purchaseed it of themm (Apple Store is not the only game in town)
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 01:41 AM

Got a call from the Apple Store this morning that the Mac Mini was in, picked it up at lunch. So I guess I didn't get sent to the bottom of the list after all.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2005, 02:03 AM

Glad you got your mini, how is it?

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 02:33 AM

I have not hooked it up yet. In the morning I'll get it setup, make sure it's running well then drop in the 1 gig chip.

I'll get back to ya.

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 08:44 PM

Glad you got your mini, how is it?
Pretty awsome Superchicken! Runs as fast as my Dual G4 1.3 here for most stuff, it's just not a gaming system as we all know. Well it'll play they only game my wife plays, Solitaire.

Opening the case to intall the memory was sort of a pain. Probably just more scary than anything but done gently you'll have no problems.

Best thing about it... I get my "Big Mac" back here at my desk finally.
( Last edited by Footy; Feb 18, 2005 at 12:30 AM. )

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 02:54 AM

sounds a bit crikey to me
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules