Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Windows Killed My PowerBook!

Windows Killed My PowerBook!
Goatbert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 03:38 AM

Two days ago I bought a 12" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz with SuperDrive. I was almost done loading it up when I went to load Virtual PC and Windows XP on it (to make it easier to manage the Windows portion of our network there). At the very end of the XP install, as it was "Saving Settings", the Powerbook's HDD started making that all too familiar spin-up, clank sound. Rebooted, got the Folder with the question mark, booted the install CD and the drive was not found.

This is what I get for trying to make my pretty OS X laptop run Windows!

Took it back to a local Apple store, waited in line for 45 minutes behind a lady trying to return an iPod her son broke (put the dock connector in upside down) who couldn't understand the meaning of "accidental damage", but once that bit of fun was done they gave me (another) brand new PB 12" w/ SuperDrive. They were really helpful about it, and funny as a bonus.

All in all, it wasn't that bad, but I thought I was getting away from Windows crashing things when I bought the Macs

-Jeff
"Beaker" - P4 3.2GHz, 1GB PC3200 RAM, 80GB Raptor C:, 600GB RAID5 D:, DW1820A 16x DVD Burner, Lite On 16x Reader, GeForce 6800 AGP 128MB, SB Audigy 2 ZS.
"Snuffy" - 1.42GHz Mac Mini, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, SuperDrive, BT, Airport Extreme, L90D+ Flat Panel w/ DVI.
"Pepe" - 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook G4, 1.25GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 8x SuperDrive.

twentyvfun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by Goatbert:
Two days ago I bought a 12" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz with SuperDrive. I was almost done loading it up when I went to load Virtual PC and Windows XP on it (to make it easier to manage the Windows portion of our network there). At the very end of the XP install, as it was "Saving Settings", the Powerbook's HDD started making that all too familiar spin-up, clank sound. Rebooted, got the Folder with the question mark, booted the install CD and the drive was not found.

This is what I get for trying to make my pretty OS X laptop run Windows!

Took it back to a local Apple store, waited in line for 45 minutes behind a lady trying to return an iPod her son broke (put the dock connector in upside down) who couldn't understand the meaning of "accidental damage", but once that bit of fun was done they gave me (another) brand new PB 12" w/ SuperDrive. They were really helpful about it, and funny as a bonus.

All in all, it wasn't that bad, but I thought I was getting away from Windows crashing things when I bought the Macs

-Jeff
That was a nice story. Good luck with your second one =)

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2005, 08:29 AM

If it was a software problem it just doesn't make sense for you to get a new laptop. If the people there did not give the woman a replacement for accidental damage why give away a free laptop for a software problem. Doesn't make sense.

If it is hardware why blame it on Windows?

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2005, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by urrl78:
If it is hardware why blame it on Windows?
Well, the HD dying is a hardware problem, natch. The coincidence of its dying while loading Virtual PC just makes for some light comedy, just can't turn down making fun of that, surely??

Ω
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 09:19 AM

Also word on the street is that XP on VPC blows.

steel84
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 11:53 AM

I thought about using virtual pc, but i was a little scared to deal with windows on my mac. I mean that is the whole point of why i bought a mac, not to have windows. Has anyone out there had any good things come out of virtual pc.
Just bought a PB 15', 1g ram, 80HD, 128 vid. First Mac.

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2005, 12:37 PM

i loaded up VPC, and windows 2k.

played a game of solitare.

havent ran it again.

i just VNC in to a windows machine when i need to do something.

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

Beerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Garage81:

havent ran it again.

I use VPC every day, and while it d/n run at the speed of an Intel machine, it is more than workable for what I do: graphics-heavy applications and VPN'ing into a Win2000 server. It is definitely faster than previous versions, much more user-friendly, and infinitely more stable. Very pleased with the upgrade.

zzarg
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2005, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by steel84:
I thought about using virtual pc, but i was a little scared to deal with windows on my mac. I mean that is the whole point of why i bought a mac, not to have windows. Has anyone out there had any good things come out of virtual pc.
if it wasn't for VPC I'd be using a real PC today. as it is, with VPC I am able to do SQL and ASP development on the road with my PowerBook (then I can't use Remote Desktop to get to my Win2K3 server)
I suspect most of my issues come from the fact my 12" PB (867Mhz with 1.12GB RAM) is a bit under powered, and the fact that VPC doesn't play well with Airport (MS only recommend using it on machines with Ethernet).
I have to admit that I am looking at a new Vaio T series or a Toshiba M200 rather than a new PB but at the moment neither platform is a clear winner because VPC does such a good job of blurring the lines. Now, of course, if CherryOS actually worked and I could run OSX apps on my PC the choice would be next to impossible !

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2005, 01:44 PM

I use Virtual PC 7 with Win2k on my 17" PB. Now I do have 2GB Ram but the most you can allocate to VPC is 512MB which works very well. I bought it with Windows XP but 2000 runs much smoother. I have to use it for a couple of my business apps which of course are PC only.
Virtual PC doesn't get the credit it deserves. The PC's on my job are terrible. They aren't the latest models so they are quite sluggish and very unstable thanks to our I.T. department.
Virtual PC saves me from being forced to using 2 separate computers especially if what I need from the PC side is only 2 programs at best. It would be a great waste of time and money to have 2 computers and barely use the PC so VPC is the best thing.
It's very stable and it runs speedy. It's not designed to replace a physical PC and I say this because it's not good with connecting peripherals other than my printer.
The Mac is in a much better position using this program than those new apps for Windows that run OSX because VPC has been out for years and perfected. To me it's the greatest app ever and a secret weapon for Mac users (with a fast Mac of course) because if relatively basic new Windows app comes out and someone says, "Oh well, it's PC only" I don't have to cringe, I can still use that app too.
I have used Virtual PC for years and never had software problems so the app has never had negative effects on any of my Macs.
Again, I only use it for a couple of programs so it's no reason for to buy a physical PC so it's perfect for that reason.
It's great to go on a business trip and take one computer and run any app required.
One last thing, it works perfect and I mean perfect with my Airport wireless connection. Not once have I had to configure it. It shares my Macs I.P so I not sure why the previous poster was having issues.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2005, 05:55 PM

I'm trying to use VPC 7 with my 12 inch powerbook with 1.25GB ram. At first I installed Win2K on it but some how (don't ask me how) I managed to corrupt the VPC image file so my Win2K image would never boot again. I'm trying Windows XP Pro now it's a but slugish even with all of the "pretty gui" effects turned off and 512MB of ram allocated to it. It's a waste of 5 gigs if you ask me but it's good to have around when you have those only Windows apps you need to run.
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

Goatbert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2005, 11:52 PM

Well, I've got VPC7 installed with XPSP2. When I get to work next week we'll see if I can manage to get it to join a domain so I can manage Active Directory through it. If I can, it will be everything I need.

New PowerBook seems to be running great. Not only is the hard drive not dead, but the SuperDrive seems quieter.

-Jeff
"Beaker" - P4 3.2GHz, 1GB PC3200 RAM, 80GB Raptor C:, 600GB RAID5 D:, DW1820A 16x DVD Burner, Lite On 16x Reader, GeForce 6800 AGP 128MB, SB Audigy 2 ZS.
"Snuffy" - 1.42GHz Mac Mini, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, SuperDrive, BT, Airport Extreme, L90D+ Flat Panel w/ DVI.

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by Goatbert:
Well, I've got VPC7 installed with XPSP2. When I get to work next week we'll see if I can manage to get it to join a domain so I can manage Active Directory through it. If I can, it will be everything I need.

New PowerBook seems to be running great. Not only is the hard drive not dead, but the SuperDrive seems quieter.

-Jeff
OT but wow, love your system. Gotta love the ones with disposable income. And don't try to down play it. I'm jealous!
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Goatbert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2005, 04:34 AM

Originally posted by hldan:
OT but wow, love your system. Gotta love the ones with disposable income. And don't try to down play it. I'm jealous!
Unfortunately I've now disposed of most of it. Mmm, ramen.

-Jeff

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Garage81:

havent ran it again.

I ran VPC with XP and got 20 spyware/adware things within 20 minutes. Ran some software to get rid of them, have not turned it on since.

Beerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2005, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
I ran VPC with XP and got 20 spyware/adware things within 20 minutes. Ran some software to get rid of them, have not turned it on since.
If you just use it to run a program without accessing commercial internet sites, you should be able to avoid those type of programs. That kind of stuff d/n just install itself unless you do something to help get the process started. I use VPC to access 2-3 websites, all of which are privately-run sites that utillize a login and are for business partners only. I do not get email on it, nor do I surf with it, and my copy is clean and runs great.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2005, 12:20 AM

Numerous studies show that an unpatched XP is infected within 20 minutes of being put on the internet. So, while you're trying to patch it by downloading SP2, it's quietly and pervadingly getting infected. No surfing or other action necessary, just being exposed on the internet.

In other words, get SP2 on a CD from a friend, or by downloading it onto a Mac and burning to CD, before getting on the internet, then install VPC and patch it before connecting in any way to the internet. Once it's patched, then you've only got the various viruses et al to worry about.

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2005, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by amazing:
Numerous studies show that an unpatched XP is infected within 20 minutes of being put on the internet. So, while you're trying to patch it by downloading SP2, it's quietly and pervadingly getting infected. No surfing or other action necessary, just being exposed on the internet.

In other words, get SP2 on a CD from a friend, or by downloading it onto a Mac and burning to CD, before getting on the internet, then install VPC and patch it before connecting in any way to the internet. Once it's patched, then you've only got the various viruses et al to worry about.
can you show me these studies? cuz that seriously sounds like ********. computers dont just break by themselves. ive been running win xp since its alpha stage and i dont have any spyware or issues whatsoever. any operating system if not used properly will have issues. however, i will say that its a hell of alot easier to mess up a xp/2k box from internet surfing than it is a mac.
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2005, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by crazeazn:
can you show me these studies? cuz that seriously sounds like ********. computers dont just break by themselves. ive been running win xp since its alpha stage and i dont have any spyware or issues whatsoever. any operating system if not used properly will have issues. however, i will say that its a hell of alot easier to mess up a xp/2k box from internet surfing than it is a mac.
Open mouth, stick foot in, without even Googling for some reference? Here's one reference from just a very brief search: Turns out I was wrong, XP is infected within 18 minutes. And that was on low-speed dialup, broadband is much faster with the infections.

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec082904.html
http://www.techweb.com/wire/30000109
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5313402.html

PBG4 User
Senior User
Mar 29, 2005, 10:40 AM

Well, the HD dying is a hardware problem, natch. The coincidence of its dying while loading Virtual PC just makes for some light comedy, just can't turn down making fun of that, surely??
Reminds me of when the HD in my TiBook died during MWNY 2001. I was refreshing two different IE windows when my HD started making the 'ping of doom' sound.

So you're not the only one who's had their Mac taken out by MS software.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

PBG4 User
Senior User
Mar 29, 2005, 10:46 AM

Placing a router between your PC and your internet connection will eliminate 99% of the problem. The rest is user error (i.e. surfing to an infected site using IE which will allow ActiveX programs to run and do whatever they feel like to your PC).

I'm amazed at how many different computers try to get past my router on a daily basis. If the ISPs would actually do something about it, I'd mail them the IP addresses so they'd quarantine the computers at those addresses until they were malware free. But alas, it is not to be.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2005, 09:19 PM

Open mouth, stick foot in, without even Googling for some reference? Here's one reference from just a very brief search: Turns out I was wrong, XP is infected within 18 minutes. And that was on low-speed dialup, broadband is much faster with the infections.

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec082904.html
http://www.techweb.com/wire/30000109
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5313402.html
it goes back to my point about user error, computers dont break down by themselves. all those machines infected do not just sit there and get infected. its ALL user error or mess-ups. according to that logic then every single windows xp box out in the world should be infected. the articles you pointed out are from the same source just rewritten by different people.

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2005, 09:38 PM

Yes, the machines DO just sit there and get infected. Plug a machine into a network that's unprotected, and you'll get it. No, computers SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO GET INFECTED THAT EASILY AND ANYONE WHO THINKS THAT'S SIMPLY "USER ERROR" IS A MORON!
Aloha

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2005, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Yes, the machines DO just sit there and get infected. Plug a machine into a network that's unprotected, and you'll get it. No, computers SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO GET INFECTED THAT EASILY AND ANYONE WHO THINKS THAT'S SIMPLY "USER ERROR" IS A MORON!
name calling isnt necessary. but i will concede it.
( Last edited by crazeazn; Mar 30, 2005 at 08:46 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules