Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Al VS. Ti

Al VS. Ti
irockdabari
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 07:28 PM

Hello all..

I want to save up for a PowerBook, because I'm not as happy as I thought I would be with my iBook

I was wondering how a 1 Ghz refurb. TiBook would run compared to my current 1Ghz iBook G4. One the main reasons I want a powerbook is because of the better resolution and video out capabilities.

But I will want to be able to run MatLab smoothly on it as well.

Would I be better off just saving for a AlBook instead?

Any input would be most appreciated.
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2005, 07:49 PM

I've owned a titanium and an albook. The difference is largely the form factor -- albooks have better airport/wifi, screens, hinges (important long-term), and keyboards. Some have USB2 and FW800, but that is less critical than the other differences IMHO.

I'd start by adding more RAM to your iBook, if you can. And wait to see what 2006 delivers in terms of new powerbooks -- if nothing else, the older models may become a little cheaper.

irockdabari  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 08:03 PM

Thanks for your input. Waiting does sound like a good idea..

One of the main things I like about the TiBooks is the fact that the ports are in the back. And I love it's classic look as well (Remember the font that Apple used to put on their computers?)

I also think the TiBook's screen looks much better than the current AlBook's

I guess I'll jus have to see what 2006 brings, like you said.
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

rem
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 09:24 PM

I upgraded from a 1GHz TiBook (1GB RAM) to a 1.67GHz Albook (512MB RAM for the moment). Both have Tiger installed.

To give a concrete example of performance... if I run an HD video clip on the Tibook such as one of the Matrix trailers in .mov format, its choppy. The same video on the new Albook is flawless.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2005, 09:54 PM

After selling my Ti 667 I went and looked at the first 12"/17" AL books. I was dissapointed in the AL books 12" screen so I ended up with the 17". But I noticed the Ti quality screen seemed just as good as the AL at the time. This was years ago however. I am waiting for HD-DVD and dual core though before buying my next laptop.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 18, 2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by irockdabari
Remember the font that Apple used to put on their computers?)
Apple Garamond. But the last generation of TiBooks already used the current font, Apple Myriad, on the machine if I remember correctly.

tooki

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2005, 11:51 AM

The 1GHz TiBook will be about the same speed as a recent 1GHz iBook -- 133MHz bus, 4200rpm hard drive etc. A current aluminum book will be quite significantly faster -- besides the processor boost, you've got a 167MHz bus, 5400rpm hard drives, more memory expandability and a better graphics card.

I'd guess the aluminum books are overall about 50 percent faster; in reality a little more because with the 1GHz TiBook, at least with mine, I was always downrating it to 667MHz to keep the bloody fans from wailing on me all the time, which isn't a problem with the aluminum books; you can run them at full power or (better yet from a battery saving point of view) in automatic power switching mode without a lot of unwanted audio accompaniment. There is no auto power switching on the TiBook; you can simply choose full power, reduced power, or custom.

Lastly, the more you use your laptop, the more you'll appreciate having ports on the side. One of the irritating features of side ports on the iBook that the new Powerbooks mitigate is the positioning of the ports; the Powerbook has USB ports on BOTH sides, which is very helpful for a mouse, whereas the iBook has it only on the left. In my view that is ultimately more convenient than having them on the back as the TiBook does. I was always fumbling around for the Ethernet and the FireWire.

Keep your iBook for as long as you can stand it, then pull the trigger on a current Powerbook.

irockdabari  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Apple Garamond. But the last generation of TiBooks already used the current font, Apple Myriad, on the machine if I remember correctly.

tooki
How does one get this Font? I love it!

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2005, 04:25 PM

irockdabari  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by GFitzy
Woo hoo! uber Classic ness

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by tooki

tooki
You remember correctly. I was a little sad to see Garamond go at first, but in the end, I prefer a nice sans serif for short text.

Forum Links
Forum Rules