Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Hotmail & Safari?

Hotmail & Safari?
dru
Senior User
Apr 22, 2006, 11:02 PM

Suddenly Safari (2.0.3) isn't able to log into hotmail. Firefox is working with it fine. Anyone else suddenly seeing problems? Safari switches through different URLs for Hotmail for awhile until the website says logging into Passport isn't working.

Emptying cache had no effect.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2006, 06:29 PM

Same thing here! I'm using Safari 2.0.3 and Hotmail keeps redirecting to many URL, after what I'm brought back to the login page, as if nothing had happened. Like you, it works fine with Firefox.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Apr 24, 2006, 07:35 PM

This is happening to my parents also. They click on the "Mail" button in Microsoft Messenger and it redirects 5-6 times then gives them a error saying the Live ID service is down. If you click "My MSN" at the top of the screen and then click "Hotmail" it lets you in.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 01:37 AM

Update: the problem seems to be fixed, at least for me!

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 05:22 PM

Oops! Seems I spoke too quickly! It worked one last time this afternoon, but when I went back to connect again, I was caught again in the neverending redirect-of-death cycle. Stangely, I didn't receive any error message of any kind: it justs lands on the same login page I came from.

What a great company Microsoft is
Code:
if(browser != Safari) { doLogin(); } else { doAnnoyUser(); }

MacMcMacintosh
Apr 26, 2006, 05:10 AM

hasn't been working for 3 or 4 days now for me, effing anoying

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 10:39 PM

FireWire, that's awesome. I may modify that a bit to annoy IE 6 users and add it to my pages.
-- Jason

dru  (op)
Senior User
Apr 27, 2006, 01:24 AM

It's still not working but, no surprise, it works perfectly with (the discontinued) IE for Macs in addition to Firefox.
( Last edited by dru; Apr 28, 2006 at 11:39 PM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2006, 03:53 AM

Just curious - if you enable the Debug menu and change the user agent, does it cause it to work?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

dru  (op)
Senior User
Apr 27, 2006, 07:10 PM

Changing the user agent doesn't make it work either.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 27, 2006, 07:48 PM

Changing the user agent only works when the site asks what the user agent is. Some sites (maybe including Hotmail) just assume you're using IE on Windows and don't bother with any sort of compatibility (or W3C standards, either). This may be something of what's going on.

It's working (6:42PM CDT) now for me running Firefox on a PC... That doesn't say much though, does it. So....5 minutes later, I tried it on my wife's iBook running Firefox. And it worked. I went through MSN's home page and everything.

I dunno...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dru  (op)
Senior User
Apr 28, 2006, 11:35 PM

Glenn, Firefox has continued to work and IE on Mac too. It's Safari that isn't working. Perhaps this is a Safari javascript bug?

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2006, 01:36 PM

I have the same thing happen to me too. But, what i do is stop the loading, and go back to the login screen... seems to work that way. Actually, my problem occurs when I click to go to my Hotmail directly through MSN messenger. When I do it manually, I don't have this problem... course, I usually dont' go to hotmail manually until it's after I've gone from MSN messenger.
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 29, 2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by dru
Glenn, Firefox has continued to work and IE on Mac too. It's Safari that isn't working. Perhaps this is a Safari javascript bug?
I misread the first post. Sorry.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by irockdabari
I have the same thing happen to me too. But, what i do is stop the loading, and go back to the login screen... seems to work that way. Actually, my problem occurs when I click to go to my Hotmail directly through MSN messenger. When I do it manually, I don't have this problem... course, I usually dont' go to hotmail manually until it's after I've gone from MSN messenger.
That's what I discovered. If I try to check my email from aMSN, no matter what I do after, it will just never work. However, if I go there manually, it will sometimes work if I change my user agent or if I stand up on my head while reading the Bible while drinking water.. wait, that's for hiccup

This bug is annoying.. One whole week and Microsoft hasn't issued a fix, and I guess they won't... Come on.. this is the Internet in 2006, this isn't supposed to happen! At least they could have used their weekly spam newsletter email to acknowledge there is a problem and they are working with Apple on a solution. But we're just Mac users, right?

Franz
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2006, 08:06 PM

This happens to me as well and I don't expect Microsoft to fix it.

Their "Live.com" site has not worked in Safari ever since it came out a few months ago, and this new hotmail login thing goes to http://login.live.com which is surely part of the problem...

dru  (op)
Senior User
May 2, 2006, 07:07 PM

Camino is working with MSN Messenger & Hotmail. I've sent bug reports to Apple (via Safari) in hopes they'll look into this. Perhaps others should try this as well.

rush girl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2007, 11:12 PM

try signing out, then back in. I had the same exact problem. I also updated safari to public beta v3

Cold Warrior
Oct 16, 2007, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by rush girl View Post
try signing out, then back in. I had the same exact problem. I also updated safari to public beta v3
you also just replied to a thread that's 17 months old.

rush girl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2007, 11:42 PM

well, i just happened to be looking for help with that issue myself and stumbled across this site....take it easy. this problem happened to me very recently. no need to be up-ity about it!

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2007, 11:45 PM

Welcome. And you are correct, no need to feel bad about an old thread. Some of the best things are old, really, really old.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

Cold Warrior
Oct 16, 2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by rush girl View Post
well, i just happened to be looking for help with that issue myself and stumbled across this site....take it easy. this problem happened to me very recently. no need to be up-ity about it!
I was hardly being "up-ity." Hence the in my previous reply. If I'd wanted to be a jerk, I would have used :bric k: or .

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 12:17 AM

Well, now we've got our smiley quota filled for this thread.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

juliorx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2007, 02:35 AM

Easy fix. Open msn.com first, then go to my msn.com from that page. Open spaces instead of going to hotmail direct. Then use the hotmail tab in the spaces page.
This works for me.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2007, 06:35 AM

I didn't try this, as it is working properly for the moment, but usually I like to open my mailbox directly from aMSN. And when it's not working, I really must quit Safari and restart it, because even manual log-in doesn't work. I really can't understand where the problem comes from, since it's not a page loading problem, but only a redirection problem.. User agent shouldn't influence this...

ph0ust
Senior User
Nov 9, 2007, 05:15 PM

i wonder if this is related to the issue ms has gotten hammered for in the press again recently, where they are intentionally disabling access to ms systems for mac users. the same thing happens on my girlfriends mac. really annoying.

phastings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2008, 05:22 PM

It is a cookie issue. Solution can be found here: macosxhints.com - Solve the Safari HotMail login loop problem

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2008, 05:47 PM

I wouldn't call that a solution, but rather a (annoying) work-around. I got fed up with that bug, so now I just leave Firefox open in the background, so when I need to check my mail, I just switch to it. At least I can view Spaces/profile with Safari directly from aMSN. It's strange how certain services work and other not, considering they all rely on the Live system.

Furthermore, I'd like to know what in the world is preventing Safari or Firefox from using the "full-flavor" version of Hotmail.. Safari is the world's most compliant browser, why am I forced to use the "lite" version of Hotmail??

stompy1208
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2008, 07:11 PM

After many days of hard work trying to solve this...
I figured it out!!

When it gives you the error message....
Click "My MSN"...
Then Click Sign out (at top)...
Then click "hotmail" in the light blue box...
Enter your e-mail address & password but make sure you select "Always ask for my e-mail & pass."
You will have to type your address in every time, but at least it works....(for me)
Hope it does for you too!

Alex

Forum Links
Forum Rules