Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Webcam on OS X

Webcam on OS X
Janmansilver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2006, 05:27 PM

I'm looking for an inexpensive webcam to use with skype on OS X? Do Logitech or Creative make som that can use the generic video driver system on OS X?

I live in europe and iSight is not available here - and i think it's to pricy.

OreoCookie
Sep 27, 2006, 04:59 AM

I've used several Logitech webcams with various Macs and they worked fine. I needed to pay $10 for iChat to support that USB cam, although Yahoo IM worked out of the box. Just go to Logitech's homepage and check out the various models.

There are also drivers for other no-name cameras, although -- personally -- their image quality usually leaves much to be desired and I wouldn't recommend them.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2006, 03:24 PM

There are other firewire cams available. The Apple store even used to sell some alongside their iSights. Im not sure if they still do however. Might still be worth looking for elsewhere though..

Not many USB cams are supported in OS X and even once you do get one working, it still wont be any good in iChat until you pay for 'iChatUSBcam' as Oreo mentioned. Could be ok for Skype however.

Also (more of a side note really) The universal MACAM driver is being worked on again. Its a free driver and it allows a multitude of cams to work in OS X, that were not originally supported for OS X by the cams manufacturer. Even the PlayStation eye-toy cam will work with this driver. When I last tried it, frame rates were not great. But its certainly better than the cam not working at all. Plus it means you can use some of the dirt cheap cams commonly available for PC's. And as I say, its free! Unlike the ioxperts driver.
USB webcam driver for Mac OS X
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules