Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP C2D: 2.16GHz/3GB vs. 2.33GHz/2GB Advice

MBP C2D: 2.16GHz/3GB vs. 2.33GHz/2GB Advice
murraymj1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 12:23 PM

I'm upgrading from a 1GHz/1gb TiBook to a MBP C2D. My budget gives me room to do the 2.16 base and add 2gb of OWC RAM (total 3gb) or, for about the same price, go with the 2.33 base with 2gb total. I do mostly photoshop & indesign work now and will move into Aperture with this purchase. I also expect I'll be doing more final cut video work.

My intuition is that more RAM trumps the slight advantage in clock speed for these apps (especially coming from 1GHz) but I thought I'd check it out with some experts. Any predictions on the performance differences that might exist between the two choices. Thanks.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2006, 01:33 PM

id go with the 2.33 and upgrade the ram to 3gigs down the line when you can afford it, but thats just my opinion.

wait...scratch that, i just read the rest of you post. if youre working in CS apps heavily right now, youre going to want the most ammount of RAM possible (rosetta apps are RAM famished). i personally would still go with the 2.33 but if you want the fastest setup for now and not the future...more RAM would do you better.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

phazedowt
Nov 15, 2006, 01:45 PM

yeah, its really a matter of now vs. the future. The CPU you get, you're stuck with until you buy a new laptop. On the other hand, 2GB SO-DIMMs, which are currently "bleeding edge" will come down in price at some point in the near-future.
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 05:42 PM

RAM prices will always come down, but you can never upgrade the processor!

PEHowland
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2006, 07:17 AM

I also suspect that 2GB will be plenty of memory for Photoshop anyway. As others have said, memory is easily upgraded in the future. It's impossible to upgrade the CPU.
Paul

Wassenaar, The Netherlands.

Home: iMac G5 1.8GHz
Work: Powermac Quad and MacbookPro 17" C2D

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 08:21 AM

I suggest you get the 2.33 too. For any video work that will definitely come handy. Also as everyone else suggested the ram can upgraded anytime later when you feel you need more, but 2GB should already be very quick.

My father just bought a 2.16 MBP with 2GB ram and he primarily uses Indesign and most of his applications rely on Rosetta. He upgraded from a 17" PB 1Ghz and finds the upgrade very very productive.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by murraymj1 View Post
...I do mostly photoshop & indesign work now and will move into Aperture with this purchase. I also expect I'll be doing more final cut video work.

My intuition is that more RAM trumps the slight advantage in clock speed for these apps...
You are totally correct that more RAM trumps the 8% clock speed improvement (by a lot). But other posters are also correct that the RAM is upgradable whereas the CPU is not; and, the double VRAM is additional value with the 2.33 box.

To be honest you need both for those apps, especially Aperture. The 2.16 GHz costs $2749 with 3 GB while the 2.33 with 3 GB RAM and twice the video RAM costs $3074. Try to find a way to get the extra $325 now rather than throwing away 1 GB RAM when you realize you do need 3 GB.

And the extra video RAM will matter if you attach a second monitor. Most graphics pros, including me, consider a second monitor quite essential.

-Allen Wicks

murraymj1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 01:16 AM

Ok...I have once again been convinced that the answer to most either/or questions in life is "both" :-)

Thanks to responders. I, along with the family, have agreed to a menu of Mac & Cheese (no pun indended) to reach for the 2.33 w/3GB. The deciding factors were: 1) Clock speed is forever. 2) the extra VRAM (if I ever really fulfill that fantasy of dual monitors). 3) What's $375 when I'm going broke already !!! :-)

So it's off to the Apple Store page and the to set a bookmark on the FedEx tracking page. Fun, fun, fun...thanks again.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2006, 01:02 PM

Congrats! There is nothing more exciting than awaiting delivery of a newly purchased Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules