Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I've had it with Windows

I've had it with Windows
goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 03:48 AM

I keep my Windows box around for games and running various Windows apps that aren't available for OS X. Today, I was on a news website, and their online videos wouldn't load. No problem, I thought, I'll fire up my Windows box. It's a really nice Windows box, Crossfire support, Core 2 Duo compatibility, dual raid controllers. I'm not dealing with low end components here. In fact, it had cleanly shut down last night.

But today when I fire it up, it just crashes on startup. Before the Windows logo. Just restarts on it's own. (Thanks Microsoft, at least Mac OS X gives a log before it goes down in flames.) So I boot it into safe mode, decipher the scrolling text going by telling me what is loading. Unfortunately, Windows only logs things that successfully load, but doesn't log when it is about to load something, or when something fails to be loaded.

So in the end, I need to reinstall Windows. I left my service pack 2 cd at work, so I get out my older SP0 cd, and proceed to run a repair install. The PC boots back up again, and obviously a lot of things don't work because I'm mixing SP2 and SP0 components. No problem, I just run the SP2 update. Computer installs it, restarts, and promptly says I can't log in without activating. I think, no problem, I'll just activate again. It was about this point I realize that the mouse and keyboard aren't working. I unplug and plug in the USB cables for both to no avail. Windows simply won't see them. Muttering angrily at this point, I head over to a drawer where, for just as occasions such as this, I keep a PS2 keyboard. The PS2 keyboard works, and I manage to tab and enter my way through and enter my activation code, which is legitimate and from Microsoft.

No dice. Windows claims my activation code is invalid. That's ok, I think, I'll just call up Microsoft and get it activated that way. I get some automated bot, and proceed to tell it my product code or whatever it is that my computer gives me. No dice again, the bot boots me over to India. I give the lady in India the exact same product code, and again, it doesn't work. I state I bought Windows XP Pro from Microsoft, and I have my product key right in front of me. She tells me she can issue me a new product key, but I need to read her a number off of the physical cd for my copy of Windows. One problem, my copy of Windows is at work. So to make a long story short, I can't activate Windows.

There could have been some mix up along the way, with me using a different cd than my license code came with, but this is absurd. It shouldn't matter what cd I use, I have a legit copy of Windows I paid for. Or perhaps Microsoft just decided that my key was bad. Who knows.

Right now, I'm about ready to give this machine the boot and replace it with a Mac Pro. I'm already getting ready to clean my Powerbook ready to sell, and as far as I'm concerned I'll sell my PC at the same time. A Mac Pro can run my Windows apps anyway.

Just thought I'd vent.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 03:58 AM

I've had similar experiences with Windows XP as well. If you stay up to date on Windows troubleshooting it's not too hard to keep a running box. Otherwise you're pretty much screwed.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jan 17, 2007, 04:29 AM

that pos 360 isn't much better

tried playing cod3 last night and even the explosions were drowned out by THAT fan

godawful piece of engineering

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2007, 05:19 AM

See, this is why the only Windows machine in the house runs 2000, not XP.

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2007, 07:30 AM

I agree I gave up on windows ages ago. I just havnt had the money to switch but soon will be my time!! and I am going to blow up my windows box! I will even film it for you guys aswell...

Hash
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 10:16 AM

Once I had terrible Windows crash which left all our important data folders intact but(!) nothing inside. I never could save the files. Regular clean installation about 0.5-1 year is a best remedy before the registry goes berserk

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 12:14 PM

I never get problems on my PC anymore.

NOD32
Spybot S&D
Firefox 2
CCleaner

Running those on Windows XP SP2 gives me no issues whatsoever.

I don't know what to suggest in your case. Make sure there isn't any crap being loaded in your startup items possibly? Yeah, and keep a copy of SP2 installer disk with you, not just at work. Or you can do a restore point to when things were working ok.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
See, this is why the only Windows machine in the house runs 2000, not XP.
I'm holding out for the newer 120gb xbox, supposedly the chips are smaller and require less power so should run cooler.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

finboy
Jan 17, 2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ashleyman View Post
I agree I gave up on windows ages ago. I just havnt had the money to switch but soon will be my time!! and I am going to blow up my windows box! I will even film it for you guys aswell...
I wish I could give it up! OS X still redates all of the files I copy from one drive to another, so Windows is still my only working alternative. Shame, that.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 01:17 PM

I am forced to use a Windows box running XP at work. Never ONCE had a crash or any other problems (almost a year). Only shut it down on weekends. My wife uses a Windows box at home running XP. Never crashed and rarely gets shut down or restarted.

wpd7
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2007, 01:18 PM

Its actually a very common issue.

Most people dont realize that each SP release, the CD will only recognize a certain hash as a valid code. The lady in India may be giving the right million character code hash, but if the OS doesn't recognize the hash, its not going to work.

no SP WinXP has its own hashes
SP1 WinXP has its own set of hashes
so does SP2 WinXP

And its the same with all other versions of Windows (Home or MCE).

So when you called India with your SP2 hash, the Indian lady gave you the registration for an SP2 install. Unfortunately your SP0 install of Windows is looking for the SP0 hash, not SP2.

It does matter what CD you use with what license. At least the SP level matters.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by wpd7 View Post
Its actually a very common issue.

Most people dont realize that each SP release, the CD will only recognize a certain hash as a valid code. The lady in India may be giving the right million character code hash, but if the OS doesn't recognize the hash, its not going to work.

no SP WinXP has its own hashes
SP1 WinXP has its own set of hashes
so does SP2 WinXP

And its the same with all other versions of Windows (Home or MCE).

So when you called India with your SP2 hash, the Indian lady gave you the registration for an SP2 install. Unfortunately your SP0 install of Windows is looking for the SP0 hash, not SP2.

It does matter what CD you use with what license. At least the SP level matters.
Right, and I've got my CD here at work. But that was really this culmination of Windows issues.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

wpd7
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2007, 01:22 PM

Yeah, but just wanted to put the info out there...

I work with both mac and PCs from when they were wee System 6 and DOS babies so I know a lot of random $hit that I would love to throw around... =P

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2007, 01:43 PM

This is why I don't use programs that require activation. That crosses the line between reasonable protecting your assets and needlessly harassing your customer.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules