Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Will an ATI 8500/9000 make my QS800 faster?

Will an ATI 8500/9000 make my QS800 faster?
Borborygmi
Jul 29, 2002, 10:45 AM

With the new ATI 9000 video cards offering a cheap price and an ADC port for my 17" Apple Studio Display, I'm considering upgrading. The question is: With my QS800/1GB RAM, will I see a significant speed increase or is my CPU going to totally limit this video card. I saw some benchmarks of the Radeon 8500 (similar speed to the new 9000) online, but it was in a dual 1Ghz machine. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks,
-Borbo

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2002, 01:24 PM

you should wait until the radeon 9700 comes to mac, it has atis new architecture (r300) and beats anything out there...it is expected this fall..

Borborygmi  (op)
Jul 29, 2002, 07:11 PM

Well, then my question is even more relevant for this card. If it is so much faster, can my QS 800 feed it info fast enough to make it worth it? Anyone out there put a GeForce 4Ti into a machine like mine? Anyone?

jchen
Jul 31, 2002, 12:45 AM

The 8500 itself is faster than the 9000, if you wanted to know.

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Jul 31, 2002, 07:27 AM

For general use, you will see no improvement until 10.2. For 3d games, you WILL see an improvement.
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2002, 08:00 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Dan Szwarc:
<strong>For general use, you will see no improvement until 10.2. For 3d games, you WILL see an improvement.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Sorry, thats wrong

QE gets faster depending on you're graphics card. Wait until Mike from xlr8 is off his NDA, then he can explain. He has said though, a faster card makes the system faster, due to QE being faster. Wait until Aug 24th for a good explination of all this

[email protected]
Jul 31, 2002, 07:06 PM

I have a pretty similar setup; 1 ghz dualie with Geforce4 Ti. I can say, honestly, that under Mac OS X 10.1.5, there is no major difference between this card and the one I had in it before, the geforce4 mx. I am 100% sure that once 10.2 rolls around, all that will change. Until then, however, unless you play lots of games, getting the fastest video card out there is worth little more than bragging rights.

To my more knowledgeable peers, feel free to tell me if I am wrong. Just do it nicely. ha.

Yaser

Borborygmi  (op)
Aug 1, 2002, 02:21 AM

See.... and you have a dual 1Ghz!!! Someone needs to test these cards in lower end macs to see if they're worth the dough.

[email protected]
Aug 1, 2002, 03:57 PM

Well, what I meant was not that my video card was useless (I did get it for free, too), but that I currently don't test its power with the programs I use. And I also don't want to tell you that it's "snappier" with the Ti card, because I just can't tell objectively. Nonetheless, from all that I've gathered, Jaguar should absolutely fly on a Ti card. And, again, considering I paid only the price of the MX card, it's hard to beat that deal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules