Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Transferring DV video to Mac Pro

Transferring DV video to Mac Pro
Beerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2007, 05:44 PM

I have run into a pricey problem, and need some help. First, I have video that I made on a JVC GR-HD1 HD camcorder. Unfortunately, the camcorder is not compatible with iMovie, and I cannot transfer the HD video from the camcorder to the computer to edit. iMovie takes control of the camera just as it is supposed to, but it will not import the video data - all I get is a blue screen ("blue screen of death?). It appears that to do what I want to do, I will need to undertake a few extra steps.

My plan was to either transfer the data to VHS, then back to the Mac via a video bridge. The other plan, if possible, was to use the bridge to transfer the data from the camera through the bridge to my Mac.

I am having a hard time finding a suitable bridge to purchase, or even a better solution to my problem. I have tried playing the miniDV tape out of another camcorder (didn't work), I have tried taking regular video with the camera (still won't transfer - same result as above).

I could sure use some advice or directions - I am ready to shoot myself over buying a camera that isn't compatible with iMovie, but I have video now that has to be converted and edited.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2007, 06:13 PM

You have an HD camera and you're thinking of going through VHS?!!?

Beerman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2007, 06:43 PM

At this point, any transfer to my Mac is better than what I have been able to do up to now - nothing. Obviously, VHS would be my last resort, but the video I have is not re-do-able...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2007, 08:39 PM

I thought you might be able to copy it over with Final Cut Express, but even Final Cut Pro isn't compatible with your camera.

You could buy a copy of Windows and some video editing software for Windows. Looks like Adobe Premiere Pro and Ulead Media Studio Pro both support it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2007, 10:10 PM

I had no idea there was such a thing as a miniDV camcorder that is incompatible with the Mac. How in the world did that happen?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2007, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I had no idea there was such a thing as a miniDV camcorder that is incompatible with the Mac. How in the world did that happen?
HDV support isn't exactly a shining star for Macs.

Captain Curt
Sep 10, 2007, 07:06 AM

Beerman, I had trouble with my Sony TRV 17( I can't remember if I saw a blue screen or not). I switched from using the camcorder battery to 110v and all was well. Also, check and make sure your in VCR mode and not camera mode. Good luck.
Mac Pro 2.66, 30 inch Apple Cinema Display, Scansnap S510m, Brother 4070cdw, MX Revolution

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2007, 04:43 PM

Are you using iMovie, or iMovie HD (or the newly-released version of iMovie)? It might make a difference since you're dealing with HD video...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 20, 2007, 07:35 AM

Head over to Camcorders - Independent Camcorder Reviews, Ratings & Comparisons . There is a pretty good forum on all camcorders, you might find your answer there.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Forum Links
Forum Rules