Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > best email client?

best email client?
dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2001, 02:45 PM

what do you people use for your daily email? i�d really like to drop outlook express, but surely not in favour of entourage... so what would you recommend... power mail? any other good clients out there?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2001, 05:49 PM

Outlook Express 5 is the best I've used so far...but since you wanna ditch it...

Uhh Eudora is ok, and mail.app in OSX is almost just like OE. Some other small freeware apps can be gotten by searching for them here.

I've used most of them but really you can't be OE. May I ask why you are so unhappy with it?

a-poria
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2001, 06:29 PM

Sek929, I am curious as to what it is you like about OE. I've been a long time user of Eudora and am quite happy, but if OE offers something more Ii would think about making the switch.

a-poria

awesomemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2001, 04:45 PM

Hi, I'm using Eudora 5.1, which works fine for me. But I really liked the Messenger from Netscape 4.x (not 6.x). In the Messenger you can use stationary, animated GIF and more. But since I don't use Netscape anymore I downloaded Eudora.

TiG4
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2001, 05:40 PM

I mainly use Outlook Express, only because I am maintaining my hotmail account.
Otherwise, the mail application in OS X would be my No. 1 choice.
Gil
- It's not a sin to dance at a wedding -

VRL
Senior User
Nov 14, 2001, 05:54 AM

Eudora.

Mail app in OS X is also good.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

<CityGuy2003>
Nov 14, 2001, 10:22 AM

eudora...

have yet to try the mail app is osx

Woggle
Nov 14, 2001, 12:04 PM

Well, right now I'm using Eudora, and its alright, though I much prefer HogWasher. Unfortunately, I can't figure how to filter mail to seperate boxes there, in fact my last attempt left me unable to get my mail for a week, even after I removed the filters, and Asar's support has been no support, emails go unanswered, so I switched to Eudora, although I prefer the streamline approach of using one program for news and mail, so I really like to get HogWasher working again.
Woggle
'I will not be pushed, filed, indexed, stamped, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.'-- No. 6

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2001, 05:06 PM

Mail.app in OS X is decent. It's still Sad to say l like Entourage from M$
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2001, 10:55 PM

I hate to admit it, but I agree with Typoon... Entourage is about the best (Classic) mail client around.

I've yet to find a Mac OS X client that I'm truly happy with. I use mail.app mainly because it's there and there's precious few other Cocoa/Carbon email apps around. Mail.app has its flaws, though - some of which have been fixed in the recent 10.1(.1) updates but, sadly, new issues have risen there, too.

As hard as this is for me to type, I'm holding out for whatever mail client ships with Office v.X. Assuming it's Entourage-based or -like, it will probably end up being my mail client of choice.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2001, 06:42 PM

I like the client built into Mozilla, really powerful, and great HTML email support, nobody else even comes close.

Mail.app is also pretty good, though it seems very "childish"

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2001, 07:51 PM

if you like OE, then you should upgrade to Entourage. More stable and with added features.

I however, use Eudora for my main mail usage, and keep Entourage handy for checking my Hotmail.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2001, 04:29 AM

Does anybody else here use Green PPC? I stated using it as an alternative to OE, and I really like it. Appearane savy and a ton of features. Pick it up on Version tracker if you have not yet tried it.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

awesomemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2001, 06:53 AM

Never heard of it. Green? I'll go check it out....

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2001, 07:10 AM

Here is a page with a link to most every email client available for the Mac (OS X and pre OS X).
http://www.emailman.com/mac/clients.html

I've used Musashi for a long time. I like the way it gives you control of folders. However, it doesn't seem that it will make the leap to OS X. Powermail is one that I am looking at now. Mail in OS X is a contender if it becomes a little more flexible in the near future.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

Michael T. Doyle
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2001, 11:34 PM

I just migrated from Eudora (after 3 years) to Outlook Express. I don't see much difference between the feature sets of either. However, the fact that you can't EVER utilize one main window (ok, that and the clunky, retro interface) in Eudora eventually droze me crazy. I like having the choice, in Outlook Express, to do all my tasks in one main window if I want to. OE also renders HTML mail much quicker than Eudora. And it's nice having my email client also offer a newsgroup reader (please don't mention Netscape, that was a nightmare I originally dumped for Eudora).

The only caaveat is the number of viruses written for OE. If I hadn't intended before to subscribe to Norton Antivirus virus updates once my free first year ran out, I'm sure as heck gonna do it now. But if you're good about virus checking, I'd recommend OE over Eudora.
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

Cipher13
Nov 19, 2001, 04:28 AM

Netscape Communicator all the way.

awesomemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2001, 05:11 AM

6.2? or the old one 4.7.x?

+ spiral +
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2001, 04:53 PM

Powermail. It's carbon so you can use it in 9 or X using the same mail database. The newest version (beta) supports IMAP. If you loved Claris Emailer then Powermail rocks. Well, it rocks anyhow.

CTM Dev.

Big Fat Octopus
Nov 19, 2001, 11:10 PM

I work for an Internet Service Provider and I do quite a bit of support call work for our subscribers so my advice comes from a great deal of experience on this subject.

In the Internet Industry, the Microsoft Outlook family (Express/Outlook and Entourage) are widely loathed due to their unreliable mail look up engine. They all use the same method for checking and sending mail and as a result they often cannot find mail on the ISP's server even when mail IS present. Virus propagation is another reason to avoid these programs.

The Outlook Express family accounts for 99% of our support calls regarding mail sending and retrieval issues. We almost never hear from Netscape and Eudora users.

We recommend to our subscribers (as do many other ISP's) that they use Netscape Communicator 4.7 or Eudora for their email client.

I admitt that Entourage is by far the best email client Microsoft have produced but in terms of reliability it comes a distant 3rd to Eudora and Netscape.

Hope that helps
- 24" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB 500GB
- PMG4 450Mhz 384Mb OSXserver.
- iPhone 3GS

Cipher13
Nov 20, 2001, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by awesomemac:
<STRONG>6.2? or the old one 4.7.x?</STRONG>

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2001, 06:11 AM

The nice thing about Eudora is the way you can have it automatically encode any e-mail attachment with AppleDouble. Do this, and any files you send with Eudora will *always* get there intact, even if they have resource forks and/or metadata. And if you send to Windoze users, files still get there just fine and are perfectly readable since all the special Mac stuff is in a separate file.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Avenir
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2001, 09:13 AM

I've been using Eudora from 3.0 to 5.1 now in os9 and the beta in X and I love it. Tried importing everything from Eudora into Mail (when I was using X, but since switched back to 9 for daily use) and it messed up all the attachments. The beta was super buggy, but regular 5.1 that I'm using right now is awesome. Didn't see any advantage to switching to the evil empire, Eudora works perfect for what I need.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2001, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>

4.75 </STRONG>
4.79 is really more stable, it fixed a few essential bugs, though it is a large download, so only if it crashes on you is it worth the upgrade.

Cipher13
Nov 23, 2001, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
<STRONG>

4.79 is really more stable, it fixed a few essential bugs, though it is a large download, so only if it crashes on you is it worth the upgrade.</STRONG>
Nah... I'm gonna stick with 4.75 - I'm not "upgrading" to post-AOL takeover (was 4.75 pre? Oh well. It's less tainted).

BobK
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2001, 12:56 PM

Mail.app in OS X, pretty good, I have had problems where people(mac &pc) can not open attachments sent with this app.

Forum Links
Forum Rules