Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > WHere to find "Warranty Void if Removed" stickers?

WHere to find "Warranty Void if Removed" stickers?
Bill Bradford
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2002, 03:08 PM

Where can I find some silver tamper-resistant "Warranty Void if Removed" stickers? I recently bought a B&W G3 from what I thought was a reputable Mac equipment dealer, and it arrived with such stickers preventing me from opening the case (to upgrade the RAM or even see what rev. the logic board is).

Its only a 90-day warranty, but hey, its a warranty.. and their email response to me basically said "yes, you have to keep that exact config for the warranty to be valid".

What a crock.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2002, 06:53 PM

Try ebay?

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Jul 25, 2002, 07:32 AM

Preventing one from getting into one's case is outright ridiculous! It's like locking the hood to prevent somebody from adding oil or checking the engine like that stupid light tells you to.

Unless you stickers exactly match theirs, they'll know you opened it!
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2002, 04:25 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Bill Bradford:
<strong>Where can I find some silver tamper-resistant "Warranty Void if Removed" stickers? I recently bought a B&W G3 from what I thought was a reputable Mac equipment dealer, and it arrived with such stickers preventing me from opening the case (to upgrade the RAM or even see what rev. the logic board is).

Its only a 90-day warranty, but hey, its a warranty.. and their email response to me basically said "yes, you have to keep that exact config for the warranty to be valid".

What a crock.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Tell us who the equipment dealer was so that we know not to buy from them ever.

Bill Bradford  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2002, 05:17 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Person Man:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Bill Bradford:
<strong>Where can I find some silver tamper-resistant "Warranty Void if Removed" stickers? I recently bought a B&W G3 from what I thought was a reputable Mac equipment dealer, and it arrived with such stickers preventing me from opening the case (to upgrade the RAM or even see what rev. the logic board is).

What a crock.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Tell us who the equipment dealer was so that we know not to buy from them ever.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">MacOfAllTrades.

Before I bought from them, I emailed them asking about the motherboard revision on the B&W, so I would know whether I needed to get a PCI IDE controller (because of the bugs on the rev1 logic boards). Their response:

&gt; We do not place transactions contingent on motherboard revs., sorry.

I thought "what jerks".

In any case, I said heck with it after I tested the system out, broke the stickers,
popped the case, put more RAM in, yanked the SCSI card (which I didnt need),
and even overclocked it to 350Mhz earlier today (if I'm going to void the warranty,
might as well go all the way..)

I'm not going to be doing any more business with them, at all.

Good thing is, I ended up getting a machine with a rev2 logic board.. 8-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules