Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple stock

Apple stock
cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2000, 10:56 PM

Anybody else in a world of hurt over this 47% plunge in Apple stock after hours today... Should of sold when I had the chance.

Greed sucks.

------------------
Promote Chicken Randomness

MacOS761
Senior User
Sep 29, 2000, 01:32 AM

My virtual portfolio is not doing so well as a result - fortunately I have no real money in the market... but if I did I would be buying Apple stock like mad right about now!

------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

witulski
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2000, 03:54 AM

Oh yeah! Buy buy buy! This little dip is a joke. Motorola's got G4e's on track for a possible 700MHz debut, new PowerBooks are on the way, OS X is getting crazy acclaim, Australian Apple Boutiques are clipping along, and there's a BIG FAT EMPTY SQUARE in the Product Matrix!

Yes folks, Apple is a great deal right now.
I'd buy more stock tomorrow if I didn't have to actually sell some to do it.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2000, 09:13 AM

blip... blip... blip...

Bockie
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2000, 09:25 AM

That bad, wlonh? You've said you are a shareholder, so I assume that you had a large Apple investment in your portfolio? Don't worry...Apple has been down this road before. Witulski is right, buy, buy, buy!!!
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2000, 10:05 AM

yeah and i bought a ton long ago

blip blip blip means that this is just a blip on the radar and not a massive group of warships on the radar

Bockie
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2000, 11:02 AM

Aaaah. I see. This is true. Apple is here to stay! Long live Apple, Inc.!!!
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

Aykew
Sep 29, 2000, 02:33 PM

I agree-- this isn't anything big; the market will repair itself. It's just real dramatic right now. But in addition to buying stock, it would put a smile on Steve's face if you bought that cube you've been holding out on or maybe another iMac for the kids? Show the world definitively that Apple is here to stay!

(I know, big talk from an unregistered member of this forum; I still think the point valid though! )

Dragonlance
Sep 29, 2000, 02:47 PM

Well, i think its safe to say that the cube was a failure, and in my opinion, a waste of Apples resources. the market for such a machine is so small that as Phil Shiller put it " other companies would hve walked away". i think they should discontinue the Cube line and concenrate on the 4X4 matrix. nd keep upgrading those machines. to me that is the simplest and best product strategy which apple has destroyed by introducing 4 different kinds of imacs and the cube.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2000, 07:22 PM

Beep..beep..beep.. that's the sound of smart investors backing up the truck and loading up on Apple stock. I'm in @ 26 1/8 ! If it falls any farther, beep...beep...beep...

------------------
Peep my iDisk: rambo47
"There is no spoon."

mac freak
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2000, 07:32 PM

I know I'll be in line to get some AAPL...

It's CHEAP!

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2000, 01:20 PM

from MacsOnly.com:

"Apple's stock price on the NASDAQ fell from 53.5 at Thursday's close to 28.1875 at yesterday's open to 25.75 at yesterday's close, a 52 per cent nose dive in 24 hours, as Apple stock became the eighth most traded stock according to CNet. On what basis? A smaller than expected Q4 profit and a comment by Apple's CFO that Cube sales were lower than expected? Hey, Apple's still going to show a profit of about $110 million before investment returns. That is lower than the target of $165 million but it's still a significant quarterly profit. Why are sales softer than expected? I certainly don't know for sure but PC sales in general have been softer and virtually everybody that I know who did not order a Cube or Power Mac in July or early August has been waiting for the ATI Radeon graphics card to be available. It just now is. In addition, the $799 iMac just began shipping in quantities. The Q1 results will be more telling, of course."

it is far too early to pronounce the Cube a failure...

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2000, 01:31 PM

I have never played the stock market in my life but I am seriously considering buying some Apple stock. My guess is that it will sky rocket again with release of OS X. That is if OS X is as great as people are saying.

rhino_g3

lucy4
Sep 30, 2000, 03:26 PM

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!! YOUR MONEY IS YOUR LIFEBLOOD. THINK WITH YOUR HEAD AND NOT WITH YOUR HEART...PLEASE!
Jobs: OS X impact in Q2; Cube sales looking good
by Brad Gibson, [email protected]
September 14, 2000, 9:25 am ET

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said Wednesday that Mac OS X will not have an impact on earnings until the second quarter.

In an interview with CNBC, Jobs said he doesn't expect incredible amounts of people to buy Mac OS X public beta and that most people will wait for version 1.0 that is expected by the end of March.

"I wouldn't imagine there'd be any impact on our earnings in this quarter or the next," Jobs said.

Saying that in the world of software development, "Delays often happen," Jobs thought the development of Mac OS X has gone "quite well" so far. Jobs has already admitted the target date of January for the final release of Mac OS X would be backed up an additional 45 days or so, but recently promised its release by the end of the second quarter.

Jobs said the company would "hit our forecasts this quarter" for Power Mac G4 Cube sales and that demand had been greater than expected. Jobs admitted that while the company had shipped "many tens of thousands" of G4 Cubes, customers might have a difficult time finding availability of some configurations.

In an interview with USA Today on Wednesday, Jobs said he was "extremely happy" with sales of the Cube.

Apple is currently in its fourth quarter, which ends September 30. The second quarter period would be from January to March of 2001.

http://www.maccentral.com/news/0009/14.jobs.shtml

harnet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2000, 05:15 PM

Just tell the Mac People to stop putting in DVE in the Towers who want to see a move on a computer ..that�s for a TV ...what the Consumer want�s is a C/D RW...and the Stock will Clime ....

mp2808
Sep 30, 2000, 05:43 PM

My status: no Mac-user, no Apple-shareholder, but considering to invest qite an amount these days.
However my investigations about that company left me puzzled about 2 things:
1) (see posting of lucy4): an Sept. 14 Apple`s CEO is "happy" about the sales of the Cube and calls the demand above expectations. Only 2 weeks later, the weak sales of the Cube are called one of the reasons for the actual stock-desaster.
2) on Aug. 18 (Macworld Daily News) Apple`s CFO predicts 35% revenue growth for the year ending Sept. 30 and gives a positive outlook for that 4th quarter. One month later, this 4th quarter is the worst ever reported since years.
To me the statements above and the forecast published on Thursday simply don`t fit together. How could these two gentlemen be subject to such false estimations only shortly ago? I`m looking forward to your opinions!!!

Regards from Vienna/Austria

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2000, 09:57 PM

Forrest Gump-like wisdom. Stocks are like yoyos. They go down. They go up.

But only Apple could produce a kicker OS like X, which I am loving to death after two days of use.

I even forgive Apple for taking 16 days to deliver the CD
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Misha
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2000, 10:37 PM

Without sounding too biased, the staff of MacNN which has published stories on the lackluster demand for the Cube, doesn't get how Jobs can say these things. MacCentral's own "sources" had told the publication that just weeks after Cube was announced that demand was high, even though Ingram Micro had just 800 orders for its first supply of 2000 Cubes (Ingram is one of Apple's largest distributors).

I think everyone's known all along that the Cube would not be a blockbuster, but this is the first real evidence we've gotten to support that thinking.

Pity.

Ca$h68
Banned
Oct 1, 2000, 03:56 AM

cteselle must be one of those buy high sell low people.

Heh. On Monday Im going to my broker to put 100 in apple, and 100 in intel. My first decision.

Ca$h

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2000, 06:33 AM

$100, or 100 shares?

lucy4
Oct 1, 2000, 07:26 AM

http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2000/09/29/technology/apple/

..."Gates has kept Apple alive to get the Justice Department off his back," Tognazzini said. "All he has to do is stop making Office for the Mac and that is the end of Apple. He keeps Apple alive, but very weak."

MiniMan
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2000, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Dragonlance:
Well, i think its safe to say that the cube was a failure, and in my opinion, a waste of Apples resources. the market for such a machine is so small that as Phil Shiller put it " other companies would hve walked away". i think they should discontinue the Cube line and concenrate on the 4X4 matrix. nd keep upgrading those machines. to me that is the simplest and best product strategy which apple has destroyed by introducing 4 different kinds of imacs and the cube.
HAHAHA ROFLAO
I think you mean 'Schiller' (with a c) and I don't think he said other companies would have walked away because the market was too small. I can't find the quote right now (but I'm guessing you only heard about it too) but I think he was saying other companies would have walked away from the challenges of making the Cube.
There is _NO_WAY_ they are going to ditch the Cube after a couple of months. Months when it has been on long lead times from the Apple Store or from distributors. Once the Cube is available in numbers in retail channels I'm sure the sales will pick up. There is nothing wrong with the strategy of expanding the product line. They may have concentrated on the _2x2_ matrix in the past (4 products) but there's no reason why they shouldn't move on.

If you don't use this opportunity to stock up on Apple you'll be kicking yourself by Christmas....!!

jeffreyloaf
Oct 1, 2000, 06:30 PM

The stock market is just a place to gamble your money! If you don't believe it toooo bad for you.

I'm glad all of the day traders are gone! They are equal to all of the people that bought on margin during the last crash (in the 30's I do believe).

I fully expect all of the pc manufactures to get hammered.

It will be a slow time for the salesman
and manufactures for the next three months. How do I know? My work schedule always leads the rest of the country by about three months.

And yes you should buy Apple stock.
In god we trust/ Cash is king /All others pay thru the nose

Forum Links
Forum Rules