Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > deleting printers from print center?

deleting printers from print center?
weric
Oct 2, 2002, 01:19 AM

i have two printer, one local and one from the network, that show up in my printer list. the delete printer icon is greyed out when i select them. they both state that they are printing, but this is not the case. rebooting my machine, and the network machine does not resolve the problem. uninstalling the printer drivers did not solve it either. they are hp deskjet 932c printers, and i am running os x 10.2.1 with the latest security patch installed. any ideas on how to get these printers out of my list?

souljer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2002, 07:43 AM

I've had many HP printer problems myself. But the opposite of yours: I couldn't get the printer to print, even though it was in the Print Center. Deleting the drivers and the printers then reinstalling the drivers and letting the computer find the printer (via AirPort/AppleTalk) finally got things working. Sounds like you have already tried those solutions. But in the spirit of these, how about just unplugging from the network/printer? Then maybe restarting to see if it still wants to list them? If the printer(s) are still listed, even though they're not connected to the computer in any way, try to "add printer". Maybe looking and not finding will help it figure out that nothing is there.

I'm no expert and it's 4:40am here. Don't even know what I'm doing up. Hope that helps though. Good luck.

goodmaj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2002, 11:42 AM

Open the Print Center. Select each printer (one at a time)and choose Show Info (cmd i).
Under 10.2 the Print Center appears to find and connect to any shared printers on the network. The Show Info will tell you on which Mac the printer is mounted. To make the duplicates go away stop sharing the same printers on multiple compters.

You can not delete the printer because it is not on your Mac.

weric  (op)
Oct 3, 2002, 02:44 PM

well i went to do as oyu suggsted and my print center was back to normal. the problem has somehow taken care of itself without having to mess with the network computers. i wonder if there is a database or file that lists the printers and maybe the os cleans it up on some unknown schedule. thanks for all the advice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules