Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook thru Australia

Powerbook thru Australia
Blink_Blink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 08:28 PM

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I'm now currently living in Malaysia and planning to get a powerbook 15' next month to continue my study in Australia. I just want to know if I have to pay any customs duty if I brought my powerbook from Malaysia and bring it over there?(electronic goods are cheaper here in Malaysia)

Another question is will the powerbook 15' good enough for me handling motion graphic and video?

T.I.A.

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2004, 09:19 PM

Hi there, welcome to the boards and soon to Australia !

The powerbook is just your personal equipment so you wont have to pay any duties etc, that only applies if you buy/import foreign goods from inside Australia.

As its a Apple portable they have worldwide warranties so you wont have a problem if you bring one with you.

The powerbook will be just fine for anything you will throw at it.. have fun, enjoy your powerbook and your visit to our fine country

superTOR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 12:41 AM

To verify the inputs from the user above; it won't be a problem. I purchased my Powerbook in Norway and brought it down here without any problems. Technically speaking, the customs workers are supposed to ask you weather you intend to bring it back after you've finished your studies, but they rarely do. Be prepared anyway and tell them: "yep, sure".

As for the worldwide protection plan. The australian system is decentralized, meaning Apple has established deal with some of their resellers, so you can get your machine serviced without sending it in. They actually do a good job in a short period of time. Remember to bring your receipt.

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2004, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by Blink_Blink:
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I'm now currently living in Malaysia and planning to get a powerbook 15' next month to continue my study in Australia. I just want to know if I have to pay any customs duty if I brought my powerbook from Malaysia and bring it over there?(electronic goods are cheaper here in Malaysia)

Another question is will the powerbook 15' good enough for me handling motion graphic and video?

T.I.A.
Just a thought, if you are studying in Australia, you should be able to get an education discount there. Also, when you leave Australia, you can claim back the 10% GST, which gives you a few hundred dollars in your hand in the airport.

Try comparing the prices in Malaysia with those on the Australian Apple website (subtracting the GST and education discount). Maybe you could even come out ahead buying in Oz.

PS I've been going in and out of Australia for years with various PBooks. First time or two I was very careful about receipts etc, but I've never been asked. Just don't bring it in the box. If you want the box with you, post it.

Blink_Blink  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the quick reply guys.I appriciate that.This place must be the best community ever.

Anyway I already check apple site from australia but still the price are a little bit expensive even with the student discount.Must be the exchange rate i guess. Oh well....can't wait to get the powerbook.

Oh by the I forgot to ask about software? As you know Malaysia is famous with piracy and I can't afford to buy original. Does the custom over there check if Im using original or not?

Thanks again

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2004, 09:06 PM

Shhhh they will be looking for you at the airport now !!! hehehe just joking !.. I am sure they wont make you fire up the powerbook and check the s/n of your installed apps.. If you bring the boxes/cds in with you they might confiscate them if they dont look original. They may or may not check your baggage for illegal cds etc.

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2004, 10:41 AM

As Australian who purchased his last 2 powerbooks in the US and has taken them back home, don't stress about a thing, seriously with the amount of laptops coming in and out of the country, you will not raise any suspisions, unless you bring it in, in it's original box. Put it in a laptop bag, go through the green section at customs - nothing to declare, and enjoy your time down under. I've done it twice now hey they don't know how long I've had it.
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

Kesey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2004, 10:47 AM

I "studied" abroad in Sydney (UNSW) and brought my Powerbook and iPod without any trouble at all. No questions or anything going through customs.

On a side note, wow am I jelous, I'd do anything to get back to AUS. Have fun!

Blink_Blink  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2004, 12:40 PM

Thanks again guys for helping me out with this. I guess I'm just too worried if they gonna take my powerbook away cause not using original soft. I know it sound silly ...but you know anything might happen .

once again thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules