Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > no Applecare for your PB?

no Applecare for your PB?
wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2004, 09:24 PM

anyone didnt get Applecare for their PB? how often does a PB need repair??
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2004, 09:28 PM

I didnt have it on mine but was planning to get it...I will definately get it on my next PowerBook when I have money.

t4r1q
Jun 21, 2004, 09:55 PM

I won't be buying AppleCare when I make the inital purchase for my PowerBook in a month or two, but once the first year is about to end, I'm definately going to get it.

If you plan on keeping it rather than selling/upgrading to a new model, I think it's a good investment. I sure am glad I can get the Educational discount on AppleCare though, thats alot of money for a warranty, but it is comparable to any other laptop manufacturer's extended warranty, so its "doable".

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 10:07 PM

I bought my PowerBook with my Amex card. They cover repairs for an extra year. About a month ago my AC Power adaptor went bad when I was out of town. Amex told me to go buy a new one from the Apple store, and refunded me the purchase price with no hassles. And the best think is that the service is free!

jmonty12
Jun 21, 2004, 11:26 PM

While it's true that you can wait a year to purchase Applecare for your new Powerbook, there is no guarantee the price will still be the same. Just something to keep in mind.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2004, 11:56 PM

We have 10+ Apple laptops. Apple Care was essential on the 4 TiPBs (hinge problems so far on 3 out of 4 of them). It would not have been worthwhile on our Lombard or Pismo - they lasted 3 years each without trouble.

Ever since the TiPBs, we've added AC to all our machines. The only one that it has made a difference is this PB17. So far, so good on our PB12 (2), iBooks, etc.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by wei:
anyone didnt get Applecare for their PB? how often does a PB need repair??
i didn't get it on my 1.5ghz 15" because I will sell it is a year old.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 08:59 AM

Didn't get AppleCare when i bought it, but will get it before the end of the first year ... just to be safe, I plan on using this baby for a while.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 09:20 AM

Same with me. I bought mine before the year expires. Also, don't forget to get some type of insurance, which I think is better than applecare because it covers accidental damage. Check with places like safeware.com, and your home owner's insurance stuff like that

wei  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 09:42 AM

yeah, i couldn't get the Applecare because apple does not accept my custome coloured 15" PB. the only way is to purchase insurance from insurance agency.
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 10:38 AM

I use to live by Applecare back when it was cheaper - I would rather invest $350 into a new computer though
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

headgeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 11:35 AM

I never purchased AppleCare for my TiBook which recently died.

The AppleStore is going to repair it for a flat rate of $327.36 (which includes parts!)

See this tread for more info.

I will be buying Apple Care on my next PowerBook (after all, it's the cost of one repair).

Hope this helps.

swamibooba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 12:20 PM

what it really comes down to is how safe you think your powerbook will be.

because of my long history of bad luck, terrible timing, and random silliness, i feel much better with applecare. i've already sent my precious in since i bought it in january over a scare with the screen (there seemed to be an odd darkness at the bottom of the screen, but it's actually not the screen but the way shadows play where i use the 'book the most).

anyway. if you feel your expensive computer will be fine and safe, and would rather spend the money of something else, there's nothing wrong with that.
there is suffering; it is caused by attachment to desire; it ends by ending attachment; freedom from suffering is through the eightfold path.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 01:20 PM

My screen on my Rev A 17" went bad about a week before the 1 year warranty ran out. They tried unsucessfully to repair it 3 times so now I get a new Powerbook. If Apple Care was legal in Florida I would have purchased it. Fortunately things turned out well for me.

macxtal
Jun 23, 2004, 01:47 PM

Don't be a sucker.

Sell your powerbook after a year - you will be out less than $50-75/mo in deprecation for the most part. Then you get a new powerbook, a new battery, a new backlight, a new hard drive, a new optical drive, a new keyboard, a new case... Powerbooks deprecate very little. I plan on selling mine in November, or as close to my guess for when the G5 powerbook will come out.

Apply the cost of the applecare against the depreciation and it goes down even more. Factor the deprecation into the useful life of the notebook (3-4 years?), and you're plain outright stupid to keep it for much more than 12-18 months if you can afford to hold onto two notebooks while you sell the old one, or do without one to begin with.

Apple hardware holding it's value is a hugely attractive feature.

YMMV.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 05:07 PM

50 bux a month would equal 600bux a year .. i'm not going to eat 600 bux ... i dont even want to calculate the 75/mo depreciation .. i havent gotten applecare yet, but will before first year ends

fakeplasticspence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 07:08 PM

I would get applecare. I have always thought that extended warranties on a product are a waste but after I had three major components die on my computer I would have liked to had applecare. my HD, DVD drive, and my battery all went within the three years applecare would have covered. oh by the way I have the trusty pismo. I guess I just got unlucky.
childhood is short, maturity is forever

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 07:31 PM

I purchased AppleCare for my PowerBook. To me, it's basically like an insurance policy. Then again it isn't based on what Apple will agree to repair. I had to take my unit in a few times before I got AppleCare coverage on it (defective airport extreme socket and later with the white spots).

Fortunately for me, those were known issues. However I'd be really pissed off if a component failed, my system was outside of warranty and the cost to repair it was like $600 or more.

Now that I have AppleCare, I bet nothing will go wrong with the machine. I love my AlBook, though if a G5 PB comes out soon, I might seriously consider an upgrade. I might be better off with a desktop when that time comes. Then again, it's a lot easier to keep everything on one machine vs dealing with two separate ones.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

macxtal
Jun 23, 2004, 11:57 PM

The useful life of a powerbook is about 36 months. The best case is around 48.

I shelled out about $3500 for my notebook in Canada with taxes and accessories.

Over 36 months that is almost $100/mo depreciation. The 48 month deprecation is $70 or so.

Applecare would put me out a lot of money - almost the deprecation for a year. When the productivity benefits of the new hardware are factored in, it makes a lot of sense unless you are very hard pressed for cash.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2004, 02:32 PM

well... I sell my powerbooks within the year, ususally... but that's also because I can do that almost without losing more than $200-$300.

so here's the blatant shameless plug... I've got an applecare for powerbooks to sell... and since I won't be registering it (i bought it as a package with my powerbook), someone else can buy it for less than the $349 retail price. i'm selling for $250.

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2004, 10:42 PM

I would recommend getting it before the first year is up. If your PB needs repair, it will pay for itself. My friend had his 15 PB screen replaced, without Apple Care, and he is hurting.

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2004, 08:43 AM

I've got the REV A 17" 1 ghz right now

I'm heavily thinking about selling it and going for the 1.5 ghz model

what do you guys think (especially the Powerbook-a-year dudes)?

With all the OS X advancements and such, keeping up with this technology seems really helpful

otherwise...... I'd keep the PB, and sell it for less when the PB G5 eventually debuts..... of course, I'd sell the 1.5 ghz one too..... but how much money would I figure to lose with all of this?

anyhoo --- any cost analysis is appreciative!

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2004, 09:06 AM

There is no need, in my opinion to upgrade that much. Especially with the speed increments right now, they are not that significant. I would wait and make the move on the G5 PB when they come out. That is my $.02

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2004, 09:50 PM

I hear ya

I figure, it would probably take about $800 to upgrade now

I'll probably lose $1500, once the G5 PB comes out

that's $2300 right there - with price drops, that could be the starting price (or at least, relatively close) of a G5 PB

I think I"m gonna wait...

neilio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 01:22 AM

I purchased Applecare for my new 15" 1.5 powerbook. The educational discount is huge and very worth it if you can find someone who qualifies (which isn't difficult).

Keep in mind you can transfer Applecare to the purchaser if you decide to sell early. In my view, having applecare makes a machine that's 2 years old that much more valuable: the buyer feels confident knowing that if something goes wrong with their used purchase, they can still get it fixed.

I foresee this laptop lasting me until Apple releases G5 laptops, which, from the sounds of things, won't be for quite some time.

Neil
Cocoatech Design / Marketing
Try Path Finder, the integrated, powerful file browser for Mac OS X for free!
http://www.cocoatech.com/pf.php

superTOR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by chipchen:
well... I sell my powerbooks within the year, ususally... but that's also because I can do that almost without losing more than $200-$300.

so here's the blatant shameless plug... I've got an applecare for powerbooks to sell... and since I won't be registering it (i bought it as a package with my powerbook), someone else can buy it for less than the $349 retail price. i'm selling for $250.
I'm in! Mail me on [email protected] if the offer is still valid...

superTOR
"What am I? A schmuck on wheels?"

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by headgeek:
I never purchased AppleCare for my TiBook which recently died.

The AppleStore is going to repair it for a flat rate of $327.36 (which includes parts!)

See this tread for more info.

I will be buying Apple Care on my next PowerBook (after all, it's the cost of one repair).

Hope this helps.
Or in my case, it was about 1/4 the cost of one repair. I realize that since my laptop's only 7 months old, it was under warranty, but suppose the logic board decided to go out in another 6 months?

Damn glad I paid for it, in any case.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 09:43 PM

I didn't get it and my Superdrive is starting to make funny sounds... erk! I hope this isn't the end for my little buddy!!! I can't afford to replace it now!

laseca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 11:26 PM

I plan on buying a 12" Powebook soon. I too was wondering about AppleCare and will most likely be buying the plan before the base warranty is up. However, if you purchase it with a credit card, you get an extra year. I believe it may be more of a hassle to get your Powerbook fixed since you have to pay upfront and get reimbursed later. How this plays into getting a new Powerbook replacement should you get a lemon also concerns me since this would be at the discretion of the credit card company. I may just opt for AppleCare for the sake of convenience plus you get one extra year too. Credit card warranty is only good for one additional year.

Anyone ever use their credit card's extended warranty to make a claim before?

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 12:40 AM

Just for my AC adaptor. I bought it at the Apple Store, called Amex with the claim and got a credit two weeks later.... it was easy!

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by SEkker:
We have 10+ Apple laptops. Apple Care was essential on the 4 TiPBs (hinge problems so far on 3 out of 4 of them). It would not have been worthwhile on our Lombard or Pismo - they lasted 3 years each without trouble.

Ever since the TiPBs, we've added AC to all our machines. The only one that it has made a difference is this PB17. So far, so good on our PB12 (2), iBooks, etc.
10 plus! Big family? Business? Or are you just digging it?
tin pot, garden shed

Forum Links
Forum Rules