Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is a Power Mac 1.0 Ghz G4 powerful enough?

Is a Power Mac 1.0 Ghz G4 powerful enough?
QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2006, 12:55 AM

with 1.5 gigs of ram, OS 10.3.9 powerful enough for Final Cut Studio? It says it's compatible with 10.3.9 but not Motion. Hopefully DVDSP will work too.

Not sure how editing SD video (not HD, yikes) would be in Final Cut...? I'll install a new, faster, and bigger hard drive then the stock 40 gigger.

FCS and this mac?? Also, why is Final Cut Studio 3-4 weeks shipping at the Apple Store??

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuadG5Man
with 1.5 gigs of ram, OS 10.3.9 powerful enough for Final Cut Studio? It says it's compatible with 10.3.9 but not Motion. Hopefully DVDSP will work too.

Not sure how editing SD video (not HD, yikes) would be in Final Cut...? I'll install a new, faster, and bigger hard drive then the stock 40 gigger.

FCS and this mac?? Also, why is Final Cut Studio 3-4 weeks shipping at the Apple Store??
I worked with FCP on a 1Ghz G4 with 1.5Gb of RAM for quite a while. It was running just fine for DV projects (Except Render Time sometimes horrible). I could not install Motion but DVDSP was running OK. I recently bought a Quad and it's night and day, but running FCP on a G4 is still all right. Unless you make a living on your machine and render time is an issue.

QuadG5Man  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2006, 11:20 PM

Thanks dlefebvre!

It turns out I'm getting a 733 Mhz G4 (no L3 cache) Quicksilver with 1.12 gigs of ram, that will be used for creating daily videos for work. I bet that's the 2001 model with the hard drive restrictions......bah! Exporting and rendering....bah!

Throw a dual G4 in there and I can breathe with this machine. Until then, bah!

edit: it IS a mac and final cut though,

mountainash
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2006, 11:21 AM

Yeah, the 733MHz is a 2001 model with the crappy 128GiB limit. I wouldn't want to be running Final Cut on one of these (usable, probably, but PAINFUL).

Max the RAM, get faster hard drives (even an ATA-133 or SATA controller), and CPU with some level3. 1GHz G4s with 2Mb L3 are about 200USD at the moment.

They want work, they need to give you the tools
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

QuadG5Man  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2006, 04:39 PM

I'm going to suggest a dual g4 upgrade (dual 1.8 hopefully) and a big external Firewire HDD (no 128 gig limit on the firewire bus) for this Quicksilver...

spork
Mar 27, 2006, 08:03 AM

I do a bunch of foto based video projects in FCProHD and DVDSP on DA in signature. Works fine although I usually export and go have a cup of coffee. The real killer is exporting the final DVD in DVDSP. 3-5 hours so turn it loose and go home for the evening. It's usually done in the morning. As noted, the computer works like a champ though. No motion. These video tasks are the hardest thing this PMac has to do. the rest is Photoshop.
Definately go with external firewire and the dual 1.8 should be nice. Am considering this CPU upgrade myself and would like to hear how it stacks up.
Mac on
Mini Intel Core Duo 1.66, 1.5ram, super, 17" CRT Cinema Display, Intuos 3 tablet
G4 PB 1ghz 15", 60gb, 256ram, super, Wifi

Forum Links
Forum Rules