Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > New macbook awsome...How can i hook up DSL to macbook?

New macbook awsome...How can i hook up DSL to macbook?
thursdaythrice
Jun 9, 2006, 11:47 PM

First of all i want to say i was very impressed by the macbook i purchased, it is the 1.83 ghz, and it STILL blew me away...But as of now i do not have a wireless router, so i was thinking if i could hook my DSL from my PC to the macbook, i could get internet...I tried, but i dont know how to get it to run on my mac.

PS-Im new to macs so i am a n00b

thanks

nickw311
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 11:49 PM

How exactly are you runing it from your PC to the MacBook? Do you have two NICs in the PC? I would just get a wireless router, Linksys ones are cheap and very well made and the MacBook has incredible wireless range.

To configure your connection, click on Apple>System Preferences>Network

There is a setting in there to set up PPPoE since DSL connections are usually PPPoE
( Last edited by nickw311; Jun 9, 2006 at 11:56 PM. )
27" iMac C2D

thursdaythrice  (op)
Jun 9, 2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by nickw311
How exactly are you runing it from your PC to the MacBook? Do you have two NICs in the PC? I would just get a wireless router, Linksys ones are cheap and very well made and the MacBook has incredible wireless range.

Well i am getting a wireless router sooner or later, but i just want to try out safari, and the internet capabilities...It is just an ETHERNET cable hooking up to the pc...and if i hook the ethernet to the macbook, nothing happens...So i dont know how to set that up..like changing preferences or something.

nickw311
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 11:59 PM

Is the DSL modem hooked up via USB? Otherwise you would need two ethernet cards. There is a way in Windows XP to share a connection so that would work out for you. Just go to the new connection wizard in XP and it is one of the options to share the connection.
27" iMac C2D

jaybert
Jun 10, 2006, 12:06 AM

you'll need a crossover cable to connect between the two computers if you dont have a router/switch/hub between the 2.

thursdaythrice  (op)
Jun 10, 2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by nickw311
Is the DSL modem hooked up via USB? Otherwise you would need two ethernet cards. There is a way in Windows XP to share a connection so that would work out for you. Just go to the new connection wizard in XP and it is one of the options to share the connection.

I dont think you understand...On the back of my PC there is the ETHERNET port, and i take the chord and take it out of my PC, and put it into the ethernet port on my macbook...And now i dont know how to get internet on my macbook. I dont want to connections or anything.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 12:32 AM

In theory, it should just work™. If not, look into the manual for your router. There might be some special settings or something. If you have specifics, let us know and we'll try to help you out. Oh, and this might need to be under networking.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

jaybert
Jun 10, 2006, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by thursdaythrice
I dont think you understand...On the back of my PC there is the ETHERNET port, and i take the chord and take it out of my PC, and put it into the ethernet port on my macbook...And now i dont know how to get internet on my macbook. I dont want to connections or anything.
like i said above, you cannot use a regular ethernet cable. you need to purchase a crossover cable to connect the two. Then you need to run the internet sharing setup program on windows XP, which will setup your XP machine to provide internet access. You shouldnt have to change much if anything on the macbook once that is done..it should just work.

thursdaythrice  (op)
Jun 10, 2006, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by jaybert
like i said above, you cannot use a regular ethernet cable. you need to purchase a crossover cable to connect the two. Then you need to run the internet sharing setup program on windows XP, which will setup your XP machine to provide internet access. You shouldnt have to change much if anything on the macbook once that is done..it should just work.

AHH, i understand now..so i need a crossover cable..thank you my friend.

flukewurm
Jun 10, 2006, 01:04 AM

crossover cable? is just saying his macbook doesnt work when he plugs in the ethernet cable from his modem to the macbook directly. it should work. there may be something special about your isp. call them and as them. i have seen something before where you have to go into the modem and register that computer or log in to the modem or something.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2006, 01:06 AM

If you're just trying to connect the DSL modem directly via ethernet cord to the MB then you need to power down the DSL modem, wait one minute power it back up, then power up the MB. The DSL modem will then register the new MAC address of the ethernet card in the MB and the MB should have internet connection. MAC refers to Machine Address or something like that--each ethernet card has its own MAC address and the DSL modem still things the ethernet cord is connected to the PC's MAC address. That's why you'll have to turn off the DSL modem once again when you switch the ethernet card back to your PC.

You can get great 11g wireless routers for around $30 by watching the weekend sales. That's what you need. Crossover cable is not required, unless you want to attempt sharing the internet connection through the PC (a hassle.)

flukewurm
Jun 10, 2006, 01:11 AM

OH YEAH. try hard reseting the modem. haha. duh. good one.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Jun 10, 2006, 01:29 AM

On the mac and many newer windows machines, you do NOT need a crossover cable. The mac has an Auto-MDIX network adpater, so even if the windows machine network cable does not support autosensing, the macbook will and you can use a standard cat5 cable.

My guess is his ISP may have MAC (as in Media Access Control) filtering on and his ISP is filtering based on his Windows Machines MAC address. Or it is possible it's using PPoE on his DSL line and must be configured as such.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2006, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by BkueKanoodle
My guess is his ISP may have MAC (as in Media Access Control) filtering on and his ISP is filtering based on his Windows Machines MAC address. Or it is possible it's using PPoE on his DSL line and must be configured as such.
All very likely (although I believe PPPoE is becoming less and less common). Regardless, this will need to be figured out to get the wireless router setup as well (once he purchases it).

Best bet is to call your ISP and ask them.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2006, 07:39 AM

Actually a crossover cable is unnecessary. All Macs have switchable ethernet ports.

Here's an old apple support doc that explains it:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717

All glory to the hypnotoad.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 07:45 AM

I hope thursdaythrice hasn't gone out to buy a crossover cable now...

To clarify for him and others, he's wants to connect his DSL modem to his Macbook by ethernet cable, not share a connection over a pc. So he needs to follow amazing's advice above.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006, 07:58 AM

This is a networking issue. There's almost nothing MacBook specific to connecting a MacBook to a network of any kind, so all questions like this should go in the Networking forum. Really, it's important to do that. Why? Let's examine the crossover cable issue. It took all the way to jokell82's post above for someone to point out that you do NOT need a crossover cable for any new Mac-and he got the term a bit wrong; they're "autosensing" ethernet ports, which switch as needed based on what they're connected to. This issue wouldn't have cropped up in Networking...

So off this goes to the correct forum. Good work trying to help, guys!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules