Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP: Irratic high-speed dimming

MBP: Irratic high-speed dimming
mikochu
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2006, 07:34 PM

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a 2.0ghz MBP. On my first day with it at school, I noticed rapid and irratic dimming at lower brightness (1-4 notches). I thought it was because of the Auto-Dimming option in Display, but Auto-Dimming fades gradually...and I disabled it and still noticed the flickering. I brought it back to the Apple Store and they didn't notice anything (bright lights!), but they allowed me to exchange it and transfer my user info from the faulty laptop (#1). I'm now at a cafe eating dinner and noticed the flickering. It's not an On-Off flicker, it's more of a brightness flicker. Anyone else have this issue? My most-recent MBP was made in the middle of June...

Thanks
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2006, 01:16 PM

Could be the backlight or inverter are not functioning correctly at low voltages (low brightness).
I think a service call is your only option.

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2006, 02:01 PM

Thanks Cadaver. That's just what I was afraid of. I really don't want to send it out right now. Maybe I'll send it out at the end of the semester...
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

rfine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2006, 01:48 AM

I don't know if servicing will help on yours, but let me tell you about my experience with my MBP. This is my third trade-in because I couldn't stand the fact that it dims when it's not supposed to and yes, this computer does the same thing. Clearly, there is some kind of intrinsic dimming problem that Apple has not figured out how to solve. I will continue to trade these in until they send me a new one that doesn't dim for no reason.

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2006, 11:02 AM

When I returned the first one, the mac genius was like "I don't see it...but since you just bought it, we'll get you a new one." I think I might return it one more time before I demand a refund or something.

LilMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 04:17 PM

Hi All,

Might be having the same problem as you, but just wanted to gauge your opinions and ask a quick question. I bought a MacBook pro last weekend and I've noticed the light dims after a few minutes of inactivity. There is an option about dimming before putting the screen to sleep but that is not selected. When you move the mouse the screen then comes back to life.

I apologise if i'm being an idiot and missing a simple option, but some feedback would be awesome!

Cheers,

Matt.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2006, 05:00 PM

what about your backlight keyboard settings. when those lights go on, i think it also automatically dims the screen as well.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

LilMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 06:50 PM

When the screen dims the keyboard does not illuminate. The auto-brightness control thingy works perfectly, the best way to describe what occurs is simply that the setting for `auto dim before sleeping the monitor' just doesn't work, ie. it happens regardless of setting.

I hope that makes sense?! I have a feeling i've lost myself!

Matt

Forum Links
Forum Rules