Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > cheapest LEGIT place to buy XP pro

cheapest LEGIT place to buy XP pro
phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 12:31 PM

New egg has it for $139

I have pirated windows in the past, but I want to be legit with my new Mac Pro, where should I purchase a real version, OEM is fine!

I am a college student, so if that gets me any discounts that would be cool too!

Zach

Sorry Oreo Cookie for posting this in the mac pro section, never knew this existed!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2006, 01:16 PM

Ask your school if they will sell it to you. I bought Tiger when it came out at my school for $30 I think.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

lowdaksport
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 02:49 PM

Yea i can get XP pro from the computer solutions store at my college for 20 bucks. So go to your schools computer store or library one of the two should have somehting.

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 13, 2006, 02:55 PM

phantom, are you buying the 64 bit version of xp pro? I was just on newegg and that's the version for $139.

If so, advantages/disadvantages? I was looking through the install instructions on a macrumors thread and they seem a bit daunting. (I hate Windows.)

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul
phantom, are you buying the 64 bit version of xp pro? I was just on newegg and that's the version for $139.

If so, advantages/disadvantages? I was looking through the install instructions on a macrumors thread and they seem a bit daunting. (I hate Windows.)
\

I almost wish someone would make a pre-slipstreamed version and have it availiable for download, I would still buy a copy of XP, just for the license key!

The normal XP pro and 64bit versions are the same price... I am just going to buy the normal XP pro version... and a new HD...

Zach

jriveractu
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2006, 07:29 PM

depends .. would you like that with or without some viruses ?

porieux
Baninated
Sep 13, 2006, 07:31 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 02:11 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 13, 2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
Why in the world would you want a legit copy??? MS doesn't need any more money
That kind of talk is called "piracy." We do not tolerate that here. Stop it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 13, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz
\

I almost wish someone would make a pre-slipstreamed version and have it availiable for download, I would still buy a copy of XP, just for the license key!

The normal XP pro and 64bit versions are the same price... I am just going to buy the normal XP pro version... and a new HD...

Zach
If you buy a copy of XP, IT WILL HAVE SP2 ALREADY. It's as simple as that. Check your school! Mine charged me $22 for XP Pro with SP2. What a deal!

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 02:46 AM

my school only has the update and it's $99

EDIT CRAPPY school!!!

Zach

Mind the language, ok? This is a family-friendly forum. Glenn
( Last edited by ghporter; Sep 14, 2006 at 10:14 AM. )

porieux
Baninated
Sep 14, 2006, 03:05 AM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 02:12 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 14, 2006, 10:12 AM

"Why in the world would you want a legit copy" isn't refering to piracy? The OP mentioned that he'd changed his ways, and you encouraged finding a pirate copy of Windows. Your opinion of Microsoft's tactics has nothing to do with whether or not your statement puts MacNN at risk-which is why we do not condone piracy or even discussion of piracy activities.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 14, 2006, 10:13 AM

my school only has the update and it's $99

CRAPPY school!!!

Zach
No, just a crappy agreement with Microsoft. Or lack of agreement. Some schools don't have the pull to get the terms that others do, that's all.

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
No, just a crappy agreement with Microsoft. Or lack of agreement. Some schools don't have the pull to get the terms that others do, that's all.
true, I was just venting...

I have no idea what I wrote instead of crappy, I usually stick to the lounge where that can get by... I apologise...

Newegg shipped my HD and XP the same day I purchased it, so it should be here soon...

Zach

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 14, 2006, 04:39 PM

I have no idea what I wrote instead of crappy, I usually stick to the lounge where that can get by... I apologise...
It was a different adjective, based on a word that "crap" is a euphamism for...

No sweat, I just have to keep an eye on that sort of thing.

porieux
Baninated
Sep 14, 2006, 05:22 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 02:12 AM. )

msuper69
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
There are non-legit ways to acquire software that don't involve piracy, just FYI.
Congratulations! You just made ghporter's **** list.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 14, 2006, 10:06 PM

I'm just dying to find out how you can get any software in a "non-legit" way that doesn't boil down to piracy.

Piracy can be intentionally defeating distribution limitations (like taking home a site license copy of an OS, or fraudulently buying a "student priced" copy when you're not a qualified student), or through more direct means like downloading warez... Whatever you call it, if you get an illegal copy of something it's piracy. If it's a "legit" copy, then it's NOT piracy.

porieux
Baninated
Sep 14, 2006, 11:28 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 02:11 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 15, 2006, 08:17 AM

My statement was indeed rhetorical. The OP asked for inexpensive, "legit" sources for XP, so let's just focus on those, ok?

ping_pong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 03:38 PM

Get it from MSDNCA. That is how I got almost very software from MS, legally!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 15, 2006, 05:51 PM

I'm not familiar with MSDNCA. Is that MSDN-Canada?

mikochu
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 12:31 AM

I got it for free through my college via MSDNAA's ELMS. MSDN AA Home: ELMS Overview
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 16, 2006, 10:21 AM

How does one find out if one's school is allied with MSDN AA? That sounds like a great way to go! Free is ALWAYS good!

Cheznajar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 12:37 PM

One perfect example is having a buddy buy it for you at educational store. Purchasing a copy on ebay that was shipped with a computer but not registered. Thus making it a legit copy but in a round about sort of way provided that it gets shipped with a piece of equipment. Thats just 2 off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a million ways of argueing this from diffrent points of view but isn't that just a huge waste of time?
iMac 700 Mhz G4 256 MB 40 GiG OSX

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2006, 01:07 PM

Hi all,
At my school I had two choices, sp1a for free by download or sp2 for $14. So like the other comments if you can get it from the school you'll get an awesome deal.

silver
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by silver
Hi all,
At my school I had two choices, sp1a for free by download or sp2 for $14

well darn, maybe I could have gone to CU and used their school store? I am going to a state college, just not CU...

Oh well I have it up and running, slipstreamed and all... works awesome! BF2 is pegged at 100FPS and I am a happy camper! (just $140 lighter)

Zach

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 12:32 PM

Microsoft Windows XP Pro 32-Bit (Holographic CD w/ Genuine Key): SoftwareOutlet
Is the cheapest place I've seen for a regualr OEM copy, but you should get a much better discount through your univeristy.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 08:07 PM

My school has a Microsoft Developer's Network alliance thing going on. I downloaded Windows Server 2003 Standard directly from Microsoft legally and free yesterday. The Windows XP SP2 downloader didn't work for me though.

The only trick to getting this was that I had to be in the technology department of my school.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
My school has a Microsoft Developer's Network alliance thing going on...

The only trick to getting this was that I had to be in the technology department of my school.
I got a random email from what looked like a spam/fake website last week, but it turns out it is legit! You can check if your school is registered using this website.

Downloaded XP Pro and Access 2003 for zero monies, which is just as well as it was quite a shock to learn we needed Access at all... I thought it was long dead. Oh, well, only for this module.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 9, 2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by megasad
I got a random email from what looked like a spam/fake website last week, but it turns out it is legit! You can check if your school is registered using this website.

Downloaded XP Pro and Access 2003 for zero monies, which is just as well as it was quite a shock to learn we needed Access at all... I thought it was long dead. Oh, well, only for this module.
How much trouble did you have getting a username/password for the download?

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
How much trouble did you have getting a username/password for the download?
It was the other way around; the comp sci department of my university sent me an email, telling me about the MSDNAA thing and including the password in said email; my username was just my university email address. I would imagine I received said email because I am studying Computer Science; you study something like that too?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 9, 2006, 07:22 PM

Not anymore, but my son does, and his school is listed as being eligible. I'll get him to inquire-it should be pretty interesting, as this is a community college and not all that "stable" in how well everthing is managed.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2006, 08:51 PM

I've seen Windows XP Pro (OEM) online for < $90. Try froogle.com, bizrate.com, pricewatcher.com, pricefinder.com, and epinions.com which look for the lowest price on items.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by megasad

In my expirience, alot of the MSDN stuff looks like garbage. It also has had a tendency to work like garbage, too. It says I have reached my download limit on XP SP2. I never actually downloaded it. It always gave a connection error. I think I will just use my dad's XP SP2 disc with my key.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
In my expirience, alot of the MSDN stuff looks like garbage. It also has had a tendency to work like garbage, too. It says I have reached my download limit on XP SP2. I never actually downloaded it. It always gave a connection error. I think I will just use my dad's XP SP2 disc with my key.
If you mean the downloady software, I agree. It's made even worse by the fact that it's an .exe file, so I had to install an illegal copy of XP just so as I could download the legal one...

As for XP Pro and Access 2003, they are just the same as if you bought them, so not garbage in any way. I have yet to bother with any of the other stuff though, such as the .NET development suites.

Forum Links
Forum Rules