Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wrist Rests on PowerBook and MacBook Pro

Wrist Rests on PowerBook and MacBook Pro
ghporter
Administrator
Sep 23, 2006, 10:55 AM

Do people experience problems with their watches scuffing and scratching the wrist rests on PowerBooks and MBPs? My MBP is finally going to get shipped (not Apple's problem-it's coming from a third party vendor (still haven't figured out why my agency went that way...)), so I would like to know if I need to start taking off my watch, getting something like Invisible Shield or whatever.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Sep 23, 2006, 11:11 AM

maybe not related, but my ibook has a "shiny" spot on the left corner of the palm rest where my watch hits it. At first it was like a few scratches, but I guess over time it has just worn away the plastic's texture and now it is shiny...

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2006, 11:20 AM

I use a shieldzone wrist protector.. it looks a little weird but i know my system will be protected.
I also take my watch off.. it just hurts my wrists to type with it on..
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2006, 01:26 PM

i have a vinyl cover on the wrist rest from MacStyles.com
adds bling factor to the powerbook and protects it at the same time.

SpaceRockness
Sep 24, 2006, 03:28 PM

I've had my 12" PowerBook since 2004 and I wear a fairly 'mid-priced' watch with a metal band, it never scratched/dinged up the wrist area... instead my PowerBook ruined my watch band!
heh, my parents weren't happy since the watch was a b-day present

Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 04:19 PM

My friend came up with a wonderful way to protect the wrist area from things like corrosion or scratching. Namely, using screen protectors meant for PDAs. They are cheap, clear, and adhere well to the aluminum. Plus! You can find them at most retail stores fairly easily.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 12:03 AM

i always take off my Grand Seiko to do anything, its too nice to even risk it, if your watch is really nice, or if your powerbook is that nice, then just take it off and sit it on the side while you work. simple.

marissa
Sep 25, 2006, 12:16 AM

How about the Marware Protection Pack? I thought it definitely helped on my MBP.
macbook.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Do people experience problems with their watches scuffing and scratching the wrist rests on PowerBooks and MBPs? My MBP is finally going to get shipped (not Apple's problem-it's coming from a third party vendor (still haven't figured out why my agency went that way...)), so I would like to know if I need to start taking off my watch, getting something like Invisible Shield or whatever.
i don't wear a watch so can't help you with the scratches issue. however, my powerbook (aluminum 1.33) is my main computer and i've had it almost 2 years. it is not discolored or worn in those areas where my palms rest.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2006, 11:35 AM

i use the Marware protection pack and i like it. i have a nice watch (1968 Rolex GMT Master), so i take it off anyway, but my previous experience with various aluminum PowerBooks suggests that corrosion will occur without some kind of protection.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 26, 2006, 04:01 PM

Aluminum oxide forms as a film on uncoated aluminum, and it impervious to oxygen, so it seals out more oxidation. The only way corrosion can occur is with a corrosive substance applied to the metal... Maybe you saw grime instead? (Most people do not understand-or believe!-how much crud they can deposit on things with "clean" hands. It's amazing and disgusting at the same time.)

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2006, 12:44 AM

gradually pitting aluminum PowerBook wristrests is a very well documented "feature." believe me, the first time i saw it on the 1.25 15" i owned i hoped it was dirt. happened to my 1.5 15", as well. it's just caused by acidic sweat. my Sig P229 acquired some pitting on the frame, and it had a much more durable finish than any of my Mac laptops.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 27, 2006, 08:07 AM

Ahhh. Pitting is indeed corrosion-I have a S&W with pitting similar to your Sig's. Different issue entirely, obviously.

Since most people think "corrosion" means "rust" and call any darkening of a metal surface "corrosion," I felt the need to clarify. I'll definitely look into Marware and the like...though the watch I wear day-to-day is an inexpensive Elgin...I can't believe a Rolex's band would have a significantly different effect from my cheapie stainless steel band in this context.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2006, 12:36 PM

i was using a Seiko Kinetic with a titanium band during the times of the worst corrosion on my laptops, but i always took the watch off before using the machines in the interest of preventing scratches. i just think it's a case of the acidity of sweat reacting with the anodization. some people have stated that the pitting was slowed, or stopped, when they started to wash their hands thoroughly before using their laptops, though it's not exactly a scientific test. doesns't pitting on guns suck?
16 GB iPhone

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 27, 2006, 03:23 PM

It's "the pits." The problem is that you often don't notice it until it's pronounced, unlike other mars to finishes that stand out-like minor scratches through anodizing. I have one Sharpie marker dedicated to hiding scratches in anodized aluminum.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2006, 11:08 AM

yep, pitting has caught my by surprise every time it has happened on anything aluminum i've owned. at least the first time it happens
16 GB iPhone

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2006, 03:39 PM

I'm getting myself some macstyles. After three weeks of college use I begin to see some tiny black spots on the wrist rests. They look just like scratch markes, they're the same size and evenly spaced apart, but it's only on the right side.

I'm gonna look for that marker ghporter was writing about and use that until the macstyles arive.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Sep 28, 2006, 04:07 PM

The marker I was talking about is typically black (though there are other colors) and it's used to hide scratches through BLACK anodizing. It wouldn't help with the beginings of corrosion on uncoated aluminum. Sorry.

mikochu
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2006, 07:31 PM

I also have a Marware protection pack. I like it a lot.
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2006, 05:45 PM

Let me just suggest:

Invisibleshield (shieldzone.com)

I put the "full body" version on my MBP, and I am certain that it will not get scratched. Installation is easy, although the big piece on the back of the LCD part of the case is tricky. Also, after a few days of use, I removed the part that covers the trackpad, because I didn't like the feel. On the rest of the MBP the feel is nice, because when you pick up the laptop it is not so slippery.

Recommended.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
The marker I was talking about is typically black (though there are other colors) and it's used to hide scratches through BLACK anodizing. It wouldn't help with the beginings of corrosion on uncoated aluminum. Sorry.
Okay, thanks for the info. Now I won't be dissapointed when I use one. As it is with everything, usage leaves its marks. Mine will look a lot different next week My Apple will be beamed up
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

Forum Links
Forum Rules