Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro and external monitor hedbanger

Macbook Pro and external monitor hedbanger
maxhedrum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2007, 11:19 PM

I've got a MBP 2.16 that I've been using with an HP f2105 since it was purchased in April of last year.

While I do use it as a mobile device, it mostly runs as a desktop unit. After using it in the field, I have always hooked the monitor and other peripherals to the laptop before powering everything up for the first time. I shut everything down overnight and in the morning first power up the monitor and then the MBP. In the evening the monitor is shut off after the MBP completes shutdown.

Last November I started having an odd freeze during the shutdown procedure. It would go to the gray screen and then the blue screen with the applegear. At first it would just take longer and longer to complete the shutdown, but then it would start freezing up and I would have to shut the machine off using the power button. At the point where it starts freezing for the first time, the fans come on full force and stay on every time the 'puter is started up again regardless of the load.

After going through this a couple of times I called Applecare and went through a series of PRAM and PMU resets, archive and installs, and clean installs. Each time it would behave normally for awhile but then start the whole thing over again. Finally, in January a second tier tech concluded that there may be a problem with the video section of the board and arranged to have it shipped to Texas.

In the meantime I picked up a Mini to use while the MBP was gone and migrated everything over to it. When the MBP returned, all they had done was wipe the drive, re-install the OS and stuck in a new battery. I called again to express a concerne that the work done didn't seem to address the situation and ask whether migrating from the Mini to the MBP may re-introduce the error, and was reassured that it wouldn't. The very first time I used the machine, it froze during shutdown.

The next guy at Applecare had me drag the thing over to a store and have one of the genius' check it with one of their monitors. After futzing with it for about an hour, he went to the back to talk to a tech who told him that the laptop and monitor should both be on before being connected. This flies in the face of everything I've learned regarding electronic equipment, so I called Applecare to confirm this and was told that it was not recomended and my usual procedure was correct.

Sorry to be so long winded, but this has been going on for three months. The monitor and peripherals worked fine for seven months and continue to work fine with the Mini, so I can't see how it could be a compatability issue. I've put it through about a dozen shutdowns since getting it back, and the applegear popped up again.

I 'd just like to make sure I'm using it with the monitor correctly, and see if others have had simillar problems. The problem shows up using it with the lid open as well as closed, so it doesn't seem to be the sleep issue. Another odd thing is that when I run Diskwarrior4's permission repair, it allways lists a bunch of extension repairs referencing ATIRadeonX1000GA, despite system profiler showing the video chipset as RadeonX1600. Everything looks Kosher in the profiler regarding the HP.

And the fans are still spinning like crazy, just being online.

Thanks in advance for any insight as to what I'm dealing with.

MacBook Pro 2.16/2gigram/7200rpm/W86, 10.4.8

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2007, 03:57 AM

Did you try running the Apple Hardware Test? Insert the original install DVD, boot and hold d.

maxhedrum  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2007, 12:52 PM

Yep, several times...no problems found.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2007, 02:36 PM

Is this monitor connected with a DVI cable or a VGA cable?

Also, just to reinforce your felling that this is not normal, I have connected is same model monitor to my MBP 2.33 and it worked fine.

If you really wanted to confirm that it is hardware problem and not an OS issue I would reinstall the OS using the archive and install method. This method will replace the system folder and leave the rest of your computer untouched. In fact it will even keep your old system folder in case you want something from it. This will take an hour or two, but for something that effects you everyday i would consider it a good use of time.

Finally, why are you shutting down your computer everyday rather then sleeping it? For most users sleep is the better option because it reduces the time it takes to get going every morning and doesn't have you clearing all your cached files that allows you to open commonly used apps faster.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

maxhedrum  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2007, 01:01 AM

Connected with the DVI cable that came with the monitor, which worked fine for seven months and continues to work fine with the Mini.

Been down the archive and install, as well as the clean intstall, road several times.

I shut down the machine because I see no reason to leave it running to no purpose. It is my understanding that OSX is now designed to run the maintenance scripts upon startup if the computer is not left to run overnight. The few seconds longer it takes to start more than offsets the needless consumption of energy and generation of heat from running it all night , IMHO.

Good points though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules