Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac 2... why buy a Powermac now?

iMac 2... why buy a Powermac now?
godzappa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2002, 03:03 PM

Other than expandability, what does the Powermac have to offer now?

For a little more than a base Powermac, I can get a more powerful computer on every level, from speed, to options (superdrive) and a monitor included.

I really dont get why the Powermac line wasnt updated today, sure I want a G5 powermac as much as anyone, and maybe they cant deliver until later in the year, but who is going to purchase Powermacs in the meantime? Maybe Apple expects hardly anyone to.

But if the new Powermacs come out and do not have a superdrive on the _base model_ then I'll be picking up the iMac.
PowerMac G4 DP867 [DDR]
PowerMac G4 400 [Yikes]
15GB iPod 3G
iSight
2003 MINI Cooper

v0id7
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 03:18 PM

I think you just summed up exactly what's on everyone's mind right now.
_______void_______

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 03:35 PM

All dissapointment aside, this should bode well for the G5 to be announced soon - REAL soon! I'd rather Apple take a little (?!) extra time and get it right than announce a flawed product that won't even ship for 3 or 4 months. At least the new iMac will ship this month.

As a side note, I have a friend who knows somebody, yadda yadda.... (a tenuous connection, I know) on the inside at Apple. This person swears the G5 is here, but simply not available in sufficient quatnity start shipping. We've all heard enough bullsh*t recently about G5s, me included, but I tend to believe this person. We have a history together, and this person really is not into computers. More on the accounting side. How would some bean-counter know diddly-squat about future hardware? She's "involved" with an exec in the hardware development department. I personally give her credibility rating an 8.1 (scale of 1 - 10), but I don't expect anyone else to. I just believe we'll see the G5 this month at a special event, not a major trade show like MacWorld or Seybold. Steve's desperatin will outweigh his desire to make a big splash keynote and the new PowerMacs will be announced the moment Apple has enough to start shipping.

austintas
Jan 7, 2002, 03:41 PM

Yup, exactly what everyone's thinking, godzappa. The only PM worth having now is the Dual 800, but only if you've got a sh*tlo@d of cash lying around.

Bring on the new PowerMacs Steve!

[Oh, and Congrats on the other announcements... they do rock]

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 04:13 PM

That's exactly why we can expect much faster towers really soon
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Burpethead
Jan 7, 2002, 04:23 PM

my guess is that Apple has the G5 ready and dsigned, but i believe it was the thousands of lay-offs at motorola that made apple change plans at the last minute.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 04:26 PM

If we have to wait another two months... they better be fast!

kupan787
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 04:42 PM

Isn't steve giving a keynote speech at some other event in like 2 or 3 days? Maybe they thought Macworld would be consumer, and this other speech would be pro? Of maybe they didn't have the time to do a sufficiant PowerMac release (the speed test, show them off, etc...), and that this other speech will do that.

Now that the iMac is at 800 MHz G4, the towers have to be updated soon. The iMac is like equal in speed to the high end desktop (minus a processor). I think they realized this, and we will see powermacs (be it faster G4's or G5's) at this next speech.

Ben

mikemako
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 06:27 PM

not so much that I am disappointed (for I really could not afford a new Mac and would have HAD to get one had they been released at 1.4GHz) but surprised that 'ol Apple still hasn't surpased the GHz barrier.. hmm...
Now I rationalize: I have seen a computer with AMD 1.2GHz & it was FAST but not faster and possibly not as fast as my G4 DP 533MHz running OS 10.1. is that strange? The DP 800 that I played with at the Apple Store may be able to beat my DP533 at some benchmark or something, but it did not bootup, resize windows, or open apps any faster than mine. Perhaps the only thing that will make a noticable difference will be when the chip is redesigned with a higher system bus.. the G5.

It is very unlikely that we will see new PowerMacs this soon.. Which one is the MW in July? That's a pretty big one, right? I expect they will announce new PowerMacs at that MW and they will be available by Aug or Sept. what do you think?

Mike

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: mikemako ]
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 06:31 PM

I hear that there's going to be a MW convention in Tokyo this March. I could be wrong, though...
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 06:36 PM

First, the new iMac is way cool.

Second, no PowerMac update? Wow. The current PowerMac promos terminate at the end of January, so $10 says new PowerMacs in February at an Apple Special event.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

tr
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 07:08 PM

First, the new iMac is way cool.

Second, no PowerMac update? Wow. The current PowerMac promos terminate at the end of January, so $10 says new PowerMacs in February at an Apple Special event.

quicktime live! conference is in february, so maybe a special event there? if not, there's always MW Tokyo in march...

tr

bseely
Jan 7, 2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by tr:
<STRONG>[/b]

quicktime live! conference is in february, so maybe a special event there? if not, there's always MW Tokyo in march...

tr</STRONG>
I think Apple is going to update the Power Mac line sometime this week. ALL the Power Mac models have a 10-day ship time, and given the new iMacs, the pricing is way wrong:

PM G4 867:
256 MB
60 GB hd
Super drive
GeForce 2MX
w/ 15" lcd at the Apple Store is $2848

iMac G4 800
256 MB
60 GB hd
Super Drive
GeForce2 MX
built-in 15" LC is $1799

What do you get for $1000?
67 mhz
Gigabit Ethernet instead of 100megabit
the iMac comes with speakers, the Power Mac does not.
expandability, extra drive bays

Hardly seems worth $1000......

-blake

thanatos
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2002, 07:18 PM

Don't get your hopes up on the G5, the G4 Apollo has to be released first. That means no G5 until end of the year or begining of next one, but at that time Intel will be at 4 GHz (according to Moores law that Motorola doesn't follow).

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2002, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by bseely:
<STRONG>
67 mhz

</STRONG>
Well ... you also get a huge case with a loud fan ...
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 7, 2002, 08:14 PM

Since Apple has made their consumer machine mighty impressive IMO, this bodes extremely well for the next line of professional Power Macs.

Me predicts a quiet revision to drives and pricing in the current G4s (a la the PowerBook in December) shortly and an entirely new processor and case at MW Tokyo.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: cube-dude ]

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2002, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by thanatos:
<STRONG>Don't get your hopes up on the G5, the G4 Apollo has to be released first. That means no G5 until end of the year or begining of next one, but at that time Intel will be at 4 GHz (according to Moores law that Motorola doesn't follow).</STRONG>
Sad, but true, almost. I don't think the Apollo will be any later than March. That probably rules out the G5 until September. The new iMac does take the place of the low-end tower very nicely though, doesn't it? Besides, my dual 800 remains the fastest Mac ever for another couple of months.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

AlanApple
Jan 7, 2002, 08:18 PM

Surely this has to do with marketing. You release a 1.4 ghz G4 and that is going to take some of the lime-light away from your all new iMac.

Along with the Apple Stores the iMac2 is all about getting more of a consumer presense. Macworld needed to give us much focus as possible to the centre of the digital hub that people are most likely to buy for their homes. I think Apple have played the game just right. They built up Macworld and hit us with the wow! factor. I think the iMac 2 is amazing.

As for the 1 ghz plus G4...I'm sure we will see them soon.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
----------
iMac G5 17", 2GHZ
G4 1 Ghz iBook
Powerbook G3 Firewire
iPod - 5 gig.
iPod Photo

Mack
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2002, 08:37 PM

As much as we would like to see faster PowerMacs, I think it makes perfect sense for Apple to bask in the iMac limelight for awhile. They probably want to have their best shot to sell as many new iMacs as possible over the next couple of months. The PowerMac prices undoubtedly will be adjusted, but it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see a new tower until March.

tomcody
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 08:45 PM

I being that was waiting for the a New Desktop, I am disappointed but I am not ready run out and buy a QuickSilver and here's why.

As many have speculated the iMac moving to G4 seriously compromizes the QS. Why not buy a $1500 iMac 2 and use your existing Monitor via the video out port. Then when ever the G5s or Apollo G4s are available buy that and use the iMac at home.

Reports have stated that there is a lot more life (read speed) in the G4 but they won't be ready for a couple more months. Tokyo would be a good time for this but don't look for a new encloser. Tokyo will see the iBooks going to G4s similiar to iMac at 700 and 800 and the tiBook moving to Apollo at 1GHZ + along with the QS Macs. Probably also the rumored new LCDs.

So that leaves MYNY as the G5 coming out party, New MOBO new Case, New Video FW2 etc. Lets just assume that Steve had delivered a New Desktop, what would that leave for summer?

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending Apple. With Pentiums and Althons at or approaching 2GHZ, Apple's megahertz myth defense is lame and god knows that OSX and Quartz need all the horsepower possible.

Decisions, decisions.

hayesk
Jan 7, 2002, 09:28 PM

I can see it now:

New PowerMacs get released in a few months now and the MacNN forums are filled with:

"What?!? How dare Apple do this: I just bought an iMac and now I find out faster G4 PowerMacs are available! I swear, my next computer will be a Dell!"

vsurfer
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by AlanApple:
<STRONG>Surely this has to do with marketing. You release a 1.4 ghz G4 and that is going to take some of the lime-light away from your all new iMac.

Along with the Apple Stores the iMac2 is all about getting more of a consumer presense. Macworld needed to give us much focus as possible to the centre of the digital hub that people are most likely to buy for their homes. I think Apple have played the game just right. They built up Macworld and hit us with the wow! factor. I think the iMac 2 is amazing.

As for the 1 ghz plus G4...I'm sure we will see them soon.</STRONG>
Alan, ya took the words right out of my mouth. But I'd also add that the added benefit of a second Pro announcement/event will be to keep Apple in the limelight that they deserve from this amazing consumer orgy. Nothing liek building on a head of steam now that you have got everyone's attention.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: vsurfer ]

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2002, 09:48 PM

I think we will see G5's before the summer. And who says the Apollo G4 must go in the powermac before the G5. With the imac2 running G4's now, Apple could just drop the Apollo G4's in the imac2 and have G5's in the powermac.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 10:42 PM

As everyone has said, the new iMac2 certainly calls into question the value of the current PowerMacs, but it seems to me it also makes the value of the newest iBook (14.1") questionable. Consider that for the same $1799 the iMac2 gives you a faster processor, a G4, a bigger screen, keyboard, mouse, triple the hard drive, three extra USB ports AND the Superdrive. You would have to need portability a LOT to make the new iBook worthwhile.

slipjack
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 10:59 PM

Personally, I'm not too excited about the iDeskLamp doing very well in sales. Big disappointment with no improvement in the PowerMac lineup. At the very least they could of thrown us Pro users a bone and upped the models to 1 Ghz...

OS X as default? Hmm... Personally I don't think the UI is ready for primetime. We'll see with the user response though.

iPhoto was cool, and the most impressive release I thought.

Anyway, why should we buy a new PowerMac now when you can get a LCD on a stick for as much as the lower end PMs cost? It may look stupid, but it definitely has nearly as much power as the Pro systems. Pretty good price point too, although, you start to wonder why anyone wouldn't just rather have a powerbook. A few bucks more, and you can take it with you.

The other thing that occured to me is: if Macs are supposed to be the 'Center of your Digital Lifestyle'... why the heck have the ports all in the back?? So can enjoy fumbling around to plug in your digital camera, ipod, & DV camera?

Ok, maybe I'm just grumpy with not getting anything for Xmas, as it were, but I, along with a lot of other Power Mac users in the 300-500 Mhz range, are READY TO UPGRADE. Hear that Steve? I've got money and I'm ready to spend, but not on last year's tech. (133 Mhz bus, ram, etc. etc.)

sigh...

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: slipjack ]

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

<Fyre4ce>
Jan 7, 2002, 11:16 PM

The way I see it, there are several reasons for no Power Mac announcement

1) They weren't ready
2) It would draw attention away from the iMac
3) They want a chance to flush inventory before a big Power Mac update

Make no mistake, it was a concious decision on Apple's part to soup up the iMac so much. They EXPECT very few Power Mac sales in the coming month or two.

IMO, however optimistic it may be, the new Power Macs everyone was hoping for will be here not a day later than they would be had Steve announced them today. Though what I'm about to say is based entirely on rumor, I highly doubt the G5's are ready to ship within the next month. So, I'd bet for Apple it was an issue of announce now/ship later or announce later/ship immediately. They chose the latter, which is the correct choice.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2002, 11:22 PM

Expect an update soon.

They have their reasons.

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 12:06 AM

Hey guys, what about when they had imacs and powermac G3's?

Just because imac is G4 doesn't mean PMG4 has to be a G5 all of the sudden!!!

Apollo will happen, I just got a guy I know at apple pissed at me telling me my machine's going to be obselete before I actually use it. Time to sell!
I have quit MacNN effective at 5:00:00 PM, January 25, 2001.

Goodbye. (nobody banned me)

BannanaFiend
Jan 8, 2002, 01:00 AM

I can think of but one reason not to buy the new imac in place of a lower end tower, and that is the fact that the imac maxes out at 1024x768 resolution. That is fine on my ibook, but my desktop is currently at 1280x1024, and i am not about to let that drop. Lets hope that new towers come out by mw Tokyo and that they are nice enough to justify themselves against the imac fully.

P.S. The new iMac sure is nice looking though.
A history: Powerbook 15" 1.5 Ghz, Quickilver 1.2MP, iBook 600 DVD, Beige G3 266, Performa 638CD, Quadra 610 w/CD

<Joe Grumble>
Jan 8, 2002, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by slipjack:
<STRONG>
The other thing that occured to me is: if Macs are supposed to be the 'Center of your Digital Lifestyle'... why the heck have the ports all in the back?? So can enjoy fumbling around to plug in your digital camera, ipod, & DV camera?
</STRONG>
Actually, since the whole monitor swivels 360 degrees around, just spin the base so all the ports face you. Done and done!

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by tr:
<STRONG>[/b]

tr</STRONG>
This actually sounds very plausible. It's during the first half of the month, soon after the promotion ends. And who else goes to quicktime live than Apple's most pro customers. They've introed these at pro expos before, this could be it again.

raferx
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Fyre4ce&gt;:
<STRONG>The way I see it, there are several reasons for no Power Mac announcement

1) They weren't ready
2) It would draw attention away from the iMac
3) They want a chance to flush inventory before a big Power Mac update

Make no mistake, it was a concious decision on Apple's part to soup up the iMac so much. They EXPECT very few Power Mac sales in the coming month or two.

IMO, however optimistic it may be, the new Power Macs everyone was hoping for will be here not a day later than they would be had Steve announced them today. Though what I'm about to say is based entirely on rumor, I highly doubt the G5's are ready to ship within the next month. So, I'd bet for Apple it was an issue of announce now/ship later or announce later/ship immediately. They chose the latter, which is the correct choice.</STRONG>
He/She is right, if you take the time, and don't get emotional about it, it makes sense. Apple has a plan... I just wish I knew it so I could figure out what to buy!

Cheers,
raferx

<Ph.D.>
Jan 8, 2002, 01:11 AM

Here is something interesting... I think Apple has trended towards selling new models at aggressive prices and then lowering the price only reluctantly. It makes an initial splash and then they reap bigger bucks a little later. They learned that lesson from the Cube debacle, where the price was initially high, poisoning the well, and lowering it later wasn't enough to save it. That's why towers are not competetive with Imac-2's at the moment. Patience...

-Ph.D.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 01:17 AM

The Comp USA here just got a new shipment of G4's and that tells me we won't see any new releases for at least a month. I doubt we'll see the G5 till at least MYNY or this fall.

<g-dogg>
Jan 8, 2002, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by NeoMac:
<STRONG>First, the new iMac is way cool.

Second, no PowerMac update? Wow. The current PowerMac promos terminate at the end of January, so $10 says new PowerMacs in February at an Apple Special event. </STRONG>
Interesting tid bit. On Friday I went to the Apple Store in Glendale, CA. to play on some G4's. I spoke with a rep. and asked about a purchase and he said that he didn't have anything to sell me!! The stock room of G4 Power Macs was empty due to the coming events. Something to think about for the near future. . .

imacman11
Jan 8, 2002, 01:41 AM

My theory:

I agree that introducing the new G5 (or suped up G4) would overwhelm the iMac2 (it has to with those specs). SO, looking at the iMac *availability* timing, the high-end comes out at the end of jan, the mid in Feb, and the low in March....

So when the iMac is actually, finally in full-swing, it will be just in time for a new PowerMac to be announced (either in a special press meeting or at Tokyo.)

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2002, 02:08 AM

The chips just aren't ready. The rumor sites that were predicting 1, 1.2 and 1.4 Gig PowerMacs were way off.

Perhaps there will be a speed bump in February; meantime I'm thrilled Apple put fast G4s in the new iMacs regardless. I'll be ordering one shortly.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2002, 02:09 AM

The chips just aren't ready. The rumor sites that were predicting 1, 1.2 and 1.4 Gig PowerMacs were way off.

Perhaps there will be a speed bump in February; meantime I'm thrilled Apple put fast G4s in the new iMacs regardless. I'll be ordering one shortly.

<Chas->
Jan 8, 2002, 02:13 AM

OK,
1. G4 733 is 1699.99
2. iMac2 G4 800 $100 more

#1 does not come with a $599 monitor
#2 Does

Remember when the silvers were out 1 week later prices dropped!

I work @ CompUSA. The D800 will drop $1000, and 867 will drop $500 and the 733 wil drop $400. Hmm? This must mean sometning, not just to compete with iMacs. I dont think G5. I do think G4 with DDR. I hope you guys enjoy the info!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Chas-&gt;:
<STRONG>OK,
1. G4 733 is 1699.99
2. iMac2 G4 800 $100 more

#1 does not come with a $599 monitor
#2 Does

</STRONG>
Man, you forgot the icing. The iMac HAs a SUPERDRIVE! You can't even get that BTO on the low end tower.

This is a great thing tho. Apple knows the tower suck now, they are next!! And if the iMac2 hints at what is next for the towers, hhhoooommmyyyyy!!!
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

santa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2002, 03:14 AM

Look for new G4's to come out soon with faster everything. Faster RAM, faster bus, higher clock rates. Fast enough to blow away the iMac's and make professionals interested. The display rebate may be extended even further. The souped up G4's will allow Apple the breathing room it needs to get the g5's in production and tested with OSX inside and out. Look for the G5's very late in the year or early next year. If the G4's do OK and the G5 is for whatever reason held off long enough, look for the G5 to be the first "Requires OSX" (does not boot from OS9) machine.
All of this is pure speculation on my part. I want a G5 NOW, but I'm going to settle for an iMac in the meantime. I'm just waiting a week or so to see what may or may not transpire at MacWorld SF. I'll be a happy camper if I'm wrong and G5's are announced.

bateman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2002, 05:33 AM

<STRONG>
PM G4 867:
256 MB
60 GB hd
Super drive
GeForce 2MX
w/ 15" lcd at the Apple Store is $2848

iMac G4 800
256 MB
60 GB hd
Super Drive
GeForce2 MX
built-in 15" LC is $1799

67 mhz

-blake</STRONG>
we all know that.
so? wait.
argh

<Wgf>
Jan 8, 2002, 06:19 AM

Why iMac superdrive ships earlier than iMac cd-r? Isn�t it interesting?

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2002, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by kupan787:
<STRONG>Isn't steve giving a keynote speech at some other event in like 2 or 3 days? Maybe they thought Macworld would be consumer, and this other speech would be pro? Of maybe they didn't have the time to do a sufficiant PowerMac release (the speed test, show them off, etc...), and that this other speech will do that.

Now that the iMac is at 800 MHz G4, the towers have to be updated soon. The iMac is like equal in speed to the high end desktop (minus a processor). I think they realized this, and we will see powermacs (be it faster G4's or G5's) at this next speech.

Ben</STRONG>

Be aware that the new iMacs, like the low-end PowerMac, lacks a L3 cache. The PowerMac 876 and DP 800 have 2MB of L3 cache running at 1/2 CPU clock PER PROCESSOR (1/4 CPU clock DDR, to be exact). The PowerMac 867 is going to be indeed measurably faster than that high-end iMac.

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 10:43 AM

The tower looks WAY better. I hate the new iMac design.

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2002, 10:46 AM

Reasons to get a Quicksilver over a new iMac

- The 867 and DP-800 QS's have 2MB L3 cache running at 1/2 CPU clock PER PROCESSOR--the new iMac (and low-end QS) has none.

- The QS's have a 133MHz system bus vs. 100MHz for the new iMac

- The QS's have 4 PCI-64 slots and 1 4x AGP slot, the iMac has none -- this is especially important for those wanting a dual-head display. The iMac cannot run a dual-head setup (aside from video-mirroring through it's VGA port...but that's doesn't expand your desktop at all).

- The GeForce 2MX in the new iMacs is tied to the system via an AGP 2x "slot" (hardwired to mobo), a GeForce 2MX in a QS is sitting in an AGP 4x slot...unless you've got a GeForce 3 sitting in there.

- The QS's have that (one) additional drive bay

- Future CPU upgrades will likely be more possible / plentiful for the QS's than the new iMac (if that matters to you).

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2002, 10:47 AM

<STRONG>
67 mhz
</STRONG>
A 67 MhZ computer is a LOT less than $1000, I'll tell you that much ;-)
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 10:51 AM

Exactly! The 867 is still quite a bit quicker than the top-end iMac. Also, the iMac does not have ADC video out.

Reasons to buy an iMac: finest consumer computing product ever developed. All-in-one form, superior design, convenience.

Reasons to buy a PowerMac: finest professional computing product ever developed. Superior design, PCI slots, upgradeable AGP graphics (4x rather than 2x in the new iMac); expandable drive bays; ADC video out for support of all Apple LCD monitors (even the big ones, like 17 and Cinema); 133 MHz system bus, rather than 100 MHz in the new iMac (also means PowerMac supports PC133 RAM, faster than the RAM used in the new iMac, aforementioned L3 cache.

Seems these group of Apple fans is using the Intel yardstick to measure Macs. Just because the new iMac is G4 at 800 MHz does not mean it is performance comparable to the fastest (867 MHz) single-processor PowerMac.

All that said, I still think we will see speed-bumped PowerMacs in a couple of months or so.

And why is everyone disappointed? Have you SEEN the new iMac? Even in pictures? That is a computer that is "way beyond the rumor sites"; nobody envisioned such a spectacular combination of visual flair, ergonomics and performance starting at $1300! The hype was more than justified.

Originally posted by blakespot:
<STRONG>

Be aware that the new iMacs, like the low-end PowerMac, lacks a L3 cache. The PowerMac 876 and DP 800 have 2MB of L3 cache running at 1/2 CPU clock PER PROCESSOR (1/4 CPU clock DDR, to be exact). The PowerMac 867 is going to be indeed measurably faster than that high-end iMac.

blakespot</STRONG>

slipjack
Senior User
Jan 8, 2002, 11:36 AM

Yes... it is time to wait.. but it's crazy that Apple doesn't drop prices NOW since we all know this. Not that they will sell too well anyway, but hey, at least it would be a nod of respect to the users.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2002, 11:54 AM

The only thing that would keep me from getting one of these as my next desktop Mac is the screen resolution. I have a 19" monitor ar 1600x1200 right now running OSX on a G4/450 with a Radeon card. The GeForce2 in the new iMac could run this monitor at 1600x1200 easily, but the VGA-out port only does video mirroring, which means no higher resolutions.

Apple should make it so that if (a) a VGA monitor is connected and (b) the monitor supports higher resolutions, then the user could shut off the built-in LCD and use the external monitor at higher resolutions.

I wish my iBook could do this as well.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules