Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > PowerMac G5 + New HD + Leopard = ???

PowerMac G5 + New HD + Leopard = ???
mikochu
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2007, 07:34 PM

Hey folks,

I hear a lot about installing Leopard on a new hd with external hds and such, but how about on a new internal hd? I have a PowerMac G5 DC 2.3 that has a 250gb WD hd. I recently picked up a 320gb Seagate that is much quieter. I have the Seagate on the top and the WD on the bottom area of the cage. I'm still booting off the WD with Tiger. What's the best way to install Leopard and transfer my data/account to the 320gb? I was thinking about just installing Leopard onto the 320gb and migrating my data/account from the 250gb. Would that be correct? I've read a few articles on cloning the drive, then installing over Tiger... Anyone have any insight?

Thanks
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2007, 07:42 PM

Install Leopard on the other drive and use Migration Assistant to import your user accounts. Cloning Tiger and upgrading that just sounds messy.

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2007, 12:26 AM

Thanks Tetenal. I took your advice and I'm now in Leopard with my data migrated. I'm going to feel it out for a week or so, then wipe the 250gb (old 10.4 drive) clean.

Thanks
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2007, 12:29 AM

Yeah, that's a good idea to keep your old drive around. I've found that Migration Assistant isn't always reliable, although most disagree. (In fact, I would have told you to go the cloning route instead.)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2007, 01:14 AM

Big Mac, in what ways is Migration Assistant unreliable? Do you have an example?

Thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2007, 01:17 AM

I tried to use it between my G5 and mini, and while things looked okay I found that files were missing - my iTunes Music files for example. With a clone of the drive you ensure that everything will be copied.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2007, 03:43 PM

I did the same way. Did a clean install of Leopard on a new drive and import the data I wanted from the old Tiger HDD. If you don't have a lot of third-party applications, that's the best way to go.

I took the time to check thru all my files and folders.

Forum Links
Forum Rules