Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Current RAM w/ future iBook?

Current RAM w/ future iBook?
kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2001, 09:55 PM

I have an indigo iBook I would like to upgrade with more memory (max out for OSX). My question is, whenever Apple comes out with the next iBook revision, do you think the RAM would work in that one as well (just swap it out of indigo and plop it into the new one?) I know nobody knows the specs of what a new iBook would be, but would it be so radically different that a new type of RAM would be needed?

Thanks!

------------------
I want an Apple PDA!!

Digital D
Feb 28, 2001, 07:02 AM

Yes it would.

kiskiboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2001, 12:36 PM

Are you 100% sure? That sucks.

------------------
I want an Apple PDA!!

ekoelbel
Feb 28, 2001, 12:39 PM

depends. if the new iBook would had a 100Mhz bus, current iBook RAM wouldn't work reliably. If bus speed stayed at 66Mhz, you'd most likely be OK.

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2001, 12:42 PM

I think Digital D means that the RAM WILL work with the next revision iBook. The most likely advance in the iBook as far as RAM is concerned for the next revision would be an upgrade from a 66 MHz bus to a 100 MHz bus, meaning as long as you buy PC100 low profile SO-DIMMS (which most retailers are selling anyway), you will be fine with the next revision.

Cheers!
Chris

kiskiboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2001, 02:10 PM

Oops! I thought he said "Yes it would" in reference to my qustion as to if the new iBook would be too different to use the RAM. Sorry.

------------------
I want an Apple PDA!!

x user
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2001, 02:52 PM

Yeah, if you buy PC100 now you shouldn't have a prob. However I had PC66 running in my iMac DVSE and it worked fine.

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2001, 01:46 AM

most ram now is pc100 which means that its designed to run at a 100mhz bus speed or lower.

In fact, I was of the opinion that you cant buy pc66 ram anymore? Not sure if anyone can confirm that though.

Id bevery surprised if ibooks released in the next couple of years are not a 66mhz or a 100mhz bus speed.

Under this logic, yes, you could use your existing ram, but it may be worth finding out what speed your current ram is designed to run at, because that is the governing factor.

MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

slider
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2001, 10:52 AM

I maxed out my iBook with a 256MB chip that I got from Memory to Go for $200, it was PC100 and that was back in November.

Rave
Mar 5, 2001, 12:00 PM

Maybe it's my recent PC experience, but I tend to stay away from cheap "no name" RAM these days. RAM is so cheap right now it doesn't seem to make sense to skimp.
You can grab 128megs of Cas2 PC100 RAM for your iBook at crucial for about $65.00.

My $.02US

Peace

x user
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2001, 01:08 PM

Yes PC66 isn't really availible any more. All of Apples Machines ship with PC100 even if they only have a 66mhz bus.

slider
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2001, 01:41 PM

Cheap memory is fine as long as it comes with a lifetime warranty, www.memorytogo.com. As far a ram speed, remember the iBook bus is only 66MHz anyways for now. Many say there is little noticable difference between 222 and 333 or whatever, if any at all. I can't believe how cheap ram is.

Rave
Mar 5, 2001, 02:19 PM

Thing is Slider, there's more to memory than just "either it works or it doesn't."
System instability that can be attributed to bad RAM is not always easy to trouble shoot. (Especially with the lack of PM in 9.1, OS X should help this alot.)
All I'm saying is, your never going to be pissed at yourself for buying quality parts. (Not to mention the kind of customer service you'll recieve if there is a problem.)
$15-20 doesn't seem like much to me when I'm going to be using it in something I shelled out $1300-1700 for.

Peace

slider
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2001, 03:08 PM

Didn't mean to sound critical, you're right, there are many things to consider. I have never had any problems with memory from MTG, but that doesn't mean I won't. As with anything there is alway "buyer beware". Just for the record, I have bought a lot of ram from MTG and there has never been a problem. I suppose the other thing to remember is that since ram IS so cheap now, it would be easier to pay a little extra for piece of mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules