Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook/imac OE mail transfer vs. AOL

ibook/imac OE mail transfer vs. AOL
mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2001, 01:21 AM

When i get AOL mail (yes I use Aol on top of another ISP) and I have already been dutifully bashed! Not a sentence ANYWAY--- Why can't I read my mail from OE using my imac and then when I use the ibook the mail I already read or sent (on imac) is missing? And the other way around. Same thing with favorites on IE. I can use either machine and AOL stuff will transfer. Any help appreciated.

Digital D
Mar 5, 2001, 06:47 AM

I'm believe that when you create favorites in IE or download mail in OE that information is stored locally on to your hard drive. Usually when you download mail on one computer, it gets erased off the mail server via some command from OE.

As for moving favorites of one computer to another, simply go to your system folder--->Preferences Folder--->Explorer Folder. Inside you will find a file called Favorites.html. Just make a copy of it and place it in the same location on the other computer.

mollusk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2001, 09:55 AM

Any way to change this or is it an OE issue? I can transfer myself but sometimes I need reference to mail from another location before I am home to transfer. Also, taking the time to do that is a pain. At the risk of getting bombarded with AOL bashing, is this a reason to use AOL mail? Most of my school mail I receive on OE and do not want it on AOL.

Rave
Mar 5, 2001, 10:04 AM

Have you considered a hotmail account? You can use it with Outlook Express, access it from any computer with a internet connection, and your messages stay on the sever until you choose to delete them.
It might be a pain getting your new address out, (just send an eCard!) but it sounds like it would solve your problem.

Peace

Digital D
Mar 5, 2001, 01:14 PM

Okay instead of me just regurgitating what I've just learned, go to the OE Help section (in the Help Menu.) Then select the Index. Now choose the P section. In there you will see a category under POP mail accounts titled "about leaving messages on the server." Hope this helps.

mollusk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2001, 09:43 PM

thanks Digital D. Duh!!! Never thought of looking in the help file. Problem solved. learned a few other things in the process.

Digital D
Mar 6, 2001, 05:16 PM

No problem M. Sorry I was such an ass in your other post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules