Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The end of MobileMe -- what now?

The end of MobileMe -- what now?
Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2011, 09:53 PM

As you are aware, Apple announced today that MobileMe will no longer exist after June 30th, 2012.
So what happens, or what are we suppose to do if we want to share movies and photos over the internet with others?

I understand that iCloud will store pictures on the cloud for my login/pass. But how do others view if no MobileMe exists?

Are we going to be forced to use Shutterfly or a non-apple service like that?
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

Cold Warrior
Jun 6, 2011, 10:24 PM

Dropbox is very good and well-integrated on os x and iOS.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 10:35 PM

You can be pretty much guaranteed that sharing will be possible in the iCloud.

I highly doubt the iCloud will be less restrictive than MobileMe (is that even possible ???)

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Dropbox is very good and well-integrated on os x and iOS.
Nah, all the Apple iOS apps are missing Dropbox integration.

If I get 5GB free with iCloud, and it works cross-plattform, I actually might dump Dropbox.
Let's see how sophisticated Apple's push and sync algorithms are.
I sort of don't see how they would NOT duplicate full Dropbox functionality.

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Jun 7, 2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: clarification)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2011, 01:57 AM

Reply # 5 might give some insight, too early to know though.

Sorting Through Apple's Many Announcements - Readers' Comments - NYTimes.com

P
Jun 7, 2011, 04:03 AM

You have a year. Since they haven't said anything yet, I guess they will use that year to figure out what to do, which means they'll be listening to feedback.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2011, 06:15 AM

I'm curious about how this affects "find my iPhone" functionality. Can I sign up via iCloud to do the same thing? Will that be free? (No real research done by me yet, just curious...)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2011, 09:43 AM

Find My iPhone will be part of the iCloud setup - How to set up iCloud on iOS5 | Tech GadgetX

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

simdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2011, 09:55 AM

How about our websites? Will iWeb integrate with iCloud? I still have some old websites on my iDisk I link to from iWeb sites. That directory structure will certainly change if not vanish.

also, will the Document sharing feature replace the ability to provide an ftp link to large files via email? And for email, do we get to keep both our .me AND .mac email addresses if we have them? I've stayed with .mac simply because I have dozens of sites I have used that address for. I would hate to change it now.

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2011, 09:55 AM

I love the photo and movie gallery on MobileMe.
Apple, you should still support this in iCloud. It's a great way of sharing pics and movies.

Otherwise, i'll be using YouTube!

hayesk
Jun 7, 2011, 10:03 AM

It's Mobile Me Galleries that I'm concerned about. Nobody else offers as nice a way to publish and browse albums from iPhoto or Aperture. One of the reasons I chose Aperture over Lightroom was MobileMe Gallery implementation.

And don't suggest flickr - it's got the worst UI for browsing that I've ever seen, and the password protection features are weak.

malckwan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2011, 11:38 AM

Wondering what the switch from MobileMe to iCloud will mean for Find My iPhone/iPad.

Will Apple continue to issue email accounts on me.com?

rhapsodyinblue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2011, 01:11 PM

I'm more concerned with the idisk functionality thats been around since the days of .mac

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by rhapsodyinblue View Post
I'm more concerned with the idisk functionality thats been around since the days of .mac
Don't worry. Some kind of document / file sharing will be available.
Why the hell would Apple let you store your docs in the iCloud, but you'll have to email or airdrop them to someone else.

Apple can be boneheaded, but rarely are they absolutely stupid.

-t

Stuke
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
It's Mobile Me Galleries that I'm concerned about. Nobody else offers as nice a way to publish and browse albums from iPhoto or Aperture. One of the reasons I chose Aperture over Lightroom was MobileMe Gallery implementation.

And don't suggest flickr - it's got the worst UI for browsing that I've ever seen, and the password protection features are weak.
I'm with you Hayesk. I too use the MobileMe Gallery to share pictures with family and friends, from iPhoto and Aperture. Same reason I'm NOT using Lightroom. I hope Apple doesn't screw this up with iCloud stuff. I'm not excited by the announcements yesterday as I see this being a move to further remove the iWeb/iDisk/MobileMe Galleries features I rely on. And no, I don't want to find other services for these features; I'm fully Apple committed, so, Apple, don't disappoint us!
--
Stuke

reader50
Administrator
Jun 7, 2011, 02:17 PM

This all sounds very familiar.

iTools

Free with purchase of OS 9 or OS X 10.6 or 10.7 (or a new Mac preinstalled with one of those). Wait a couple years for tons of people to subscribe. Then return it to a paid service.

If the pattern holds, all important mobileme services will return within a reasonable time frame.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 7, 2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
This all sounds very familiar.

iTools

Free with purchase of OS 9 or OS X (or a new Mac preinstalled with one of those). Wait a couple years for tons of people to subscribe. Then return it to a paid service.

Bogartte
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by simdude View Post
How about our websites? Will iWeb integrate with iCloud? I still have some old websites on my iDisk I link to from iWeb sites. That directory structure will certainly change if not vanish.

also, will the Document sharing feature replace the ability to provide an ftp link to large files via email? And for email, do we get to keep both our .me AND .mac email addresses if we have them? I've stayed with .mac simply because I have dozens of sites I have used that address for. I would hate to change it now.
Does this mean the end of iDisk, or will one have to re-upload everything to a new storage area? I have a rather large website stored on iDisk.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2011, 03:58 PM

Same as many of you, or all of you, really.

I use the heck out of MobileMe and I'm wondering (stupidly and prematurely) about the future of my data. Currently I pay for both MobileMe and 100 Gb of Dropbox to sync an iPhoto library (13 Gb) and iTunes library (38 Gb), along with all our work and personal documents, across three Macs, an iPad and an iPhone. I also run my site with iWeb through MobileMe and use the living hell out of the calendar sync. Oh, and my .me address is the target for my domain's e-mail.

So Apple has told us that iCloud will handle the contact and calendar sync for free--that's nice, thanks--and they've said my mail is fine, but is that a for now? Or will they continue to host my mail for free?

That leaves some questions. I'm not terrible clear on how iCloud will work with files, especially across multiple devices. If I'm not plugging in my iPhone to a computer to sync it anymore, then how do I set which songs and movies from my iTunes library I want on my phone?

And of course, how much will I be paying for more than those 5Gb? I'm presuming if so much of the functionality I've been paying for is going to be free now, then I assume this is going to get cheaper. Though I've been delighted with DropBox, I wouldn't mind consolidating all my data needs to one service administered by Apple.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
So Apple has told us that iCloud will handle the contact and calendar sync for free--that's nice, thanks--and they've said my mail is fine, but is that a for now? Or will they continue to host my mail for free?

That leaves some questions. I'm not terrible clear on how iCloud will work with files, especially across multiple devices. If I'm not plugging in my iPhone to a computer to sync it anymore, then how do I set which songs and movies from my iTunes library I want on my phone?

And of course, how much will I be paying for more than those 5Gb? I'm presuming if so much of the functionality I've been paying for is going to be free now, then I assume this is going to get cheaper. Though I've been delighted with DropBox, I wouldn't mind consolidating all my data needs to one service administered by Apple.
I believe the 5GB is free as well as all the other iCloud services.
I also think that more functionality will be introduced as the iCloud rolls out. Hopefully that will include web site hosting for MobileMe Galleries and sites created using iWeb. There is a long thread over at the Apple discussion forums where people are bitching and moaning about how Apple is screwing MobileMe subscribers over the apparent dropping of these services. They come across as a bunch of crybabies. From the MobileMe Term of Service: "Apple reserves the right to modify or stop the Service (or any part thereof), either temporarily or permanently, at any time or from time to time, with or without prior notice to you. " Anybody who uses MM had to agree to these terms so all the pissing and moaning is pointless and frankly, immature.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2011, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
I believe the 5GB is free as well as all the other iCloud services.
I also think that more functionality will be introduced as the iCloud rolls out. Hopefully that will include web site hosting for MobileMe Galleries and sites created using iWeb. There is a long thread over at the Apple discussion forums where people are bitching and moaning about how Apple is screwing MobileMe subscribers over the apparent dropping of these services. They come across as a bunch of crybabies. From the MobileMe Term of Service: "Apple reserves the right to modify or stop the Service (or any part thereof), either temporarily or permanently, at any time or from time to time, with or without prior notice to you. " Anybody who uses MM had to agree to these terms so all the pissing and moaning is pointless and frankly, immature.
I know the 5Gb is free, but as I said, there's no way 5Gb (even if a lot of my iTunes content can stay in the cloud) will cut it.

I agree. Apple is a business. If MobileMe wasn't cutting mustard for them, then they need to retool it. I don't think there's anyway to justify the statement that they're screwing us over. They've extended the service contract for free, but yeah, after that, some of us may have to get some services elsewhere.

"May." Me, I'm hoping iCloud will do everything I need it to, but we'll see.

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2011, 07:24 PM

So now that Apple has officially announced that it will no longer support MobileMe Gallery, what will be the best method of sharing photos with friends and family? It was so easy to click a few buttons and have iPhoto post to a gallery. I can't believe Apple will get rid of that feature.

Below is from Apple's website!
http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

"What happens to the pictures that I’ve posted to my MobileMe Gallery?
You will be able to continue using MobileMe Gallery through June 30, 2012, even after moving to iCloud. You should save copies of all photos published to your Gallery before that date. If you have a Mac, it is likely that most of your Gallery photos are already in iPhoto. If not, you can sync the Gallery photos to your iPhoto library. You can also download your photos and movies from the web. Please read this article for details."

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2011, 06:47 AM

As far as MobileMe galleries are concerned I suspect that we will either have to move any galleries across to Flickr or an iPhoto update will occur and we will have access to the all new iCloud galleries. Unless the details of any new service is finished we all know they won't tell us about it. Either way it will involve a little effort from us all but I don't think the world will end.

Interestingly the new information about the transition includes the comment at the bottom that Backup and restore will still exist on iCloud. At the moment Backup sends our files to iDisk. No doubt there will be changes to the application but this implies that there may be ways to send files for storage on iCloud.

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2011, 09:48 AM

I hope there is an iCloud gallery, but nothing has been announced!
I assume there isn't one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules