Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I called Apple about Mac OS X Public Beta...

I called Apple about Mac OS X Public Beta... (Page 2)
rickyirvine  (op)
Sep 8, 2000, 10:41 AM

Is it seriously going to be obtained throught the Mac OS Software Update thing? Or was that just speculation?

------------------
Gotta make life shine like glass.
jesus loves you and jesus loves me too

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2000, 10:45 AM

A joke, A joke - although I did hear that when OS X 1.0 is released, Steve Jobs will be given a morris minor traveller as a thank you present from the Board!

click here to see his gift: http://www.theknow.co.uk/mtcsite/
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2000, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by penfold:
A joke, A joke - although I did hear that when OS X 1.0 is released, Steve Jobs will be given a morris minor traveller as a thank you gift from the Board!

click here to see his gift: http://www.theknow.co.uk/mtcsite/
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Sep 8, 2000, 12:44 PM

Penfold. Where did you get that information?. eNews says how to "order" it. English is not my native language, but order seems to me somehow opposed to download, in this case.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

anonymous
Sep 8, 2000, 01:17 PM

Penfold, you might want to go back and edit that message to add a "just kidding" at the bottom, considering it's the last item on the first page...

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2000, 08:56 PM

Warning! Humor below!

I heard Apple will be releasing the Beta on 45 floppies, as retribution for all the people who whined when the floppy was chopped from the Apple line.

------------------
http://www.macgorilla.com
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2000, 10:19 PM

Warning: Humor below

I hear that Apple will be distributing the Beta on 45 floppies as retribution for all the people who whined about the loss of floppy drives from Apple's line up.

------------------
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

in the flesh?
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2000, 01:06 AM

read this at macfixit
Apple's eNews newsletter makes it clear: You'll have to order Mac OS X beta to get it Apple states: "Visit our Mac OS X site next week, on September 13. We'll have more information available on the Mac OS X Public Beta at that time, including details about how you can order it."

group51
Sep 9, 2000, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by in the flesh?:
read this at macfixit
Apple's eNews newsletter makes it clear: You'll have to order Mac OS X beta to get it Apple states: "Visit our Mac OS X site next week, on September 13. We'll have more information available on the Mac OS X Public Beta at that time, including details about how you can order it."
Fine. But I am actually going to the Expo. they would announce it at the Expo and not have any CDs to hand out would they????

Rave
Sep 9, 2000, 03:40 PM

Are those of you who are sure it won't be available as a DL the same ones with a dial-up connection and no burner?
Cable Modem & Burner here! I can guarantee I'll be DL'ing it!

What are your thoughts on this quote from MOSR...
"According to several readers who report receiving notification directly from their local Apple Reps, Apple intends to offer a downloadable installer of Mac OS X Public Beta after the unveiling at Apple Expo Paris on the 13th. Apparently, the Public Beta will not require the traditional CD-boot installation necessary for all previous versions of OS X; the installation can be made on any empty disk or partition with at least 300MB of space.
Those without the benefit of broadband 'Net access (Cable, Satellite, T1+, DSL, etc) may, however, choose to order the inexpensive CD version, as the 'Net download may amount to as much as 400MB if all the extras and installable applications are included."

OK so it is from MOSR, But......

Peace

Rave
Sep 9, 2000, 03:53 PM

in the Flesh, I believe there is more than one way to read this...
We�ll have more information available on the Mac OS X Public Beta at that time, including details about how you can order it:
Having details on how to order it, isn't the same as "thats the only way it will be available."

Peace

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2000, 04:34 PM

Are those of you who are sure it won't be available as a DL the same ones with a dial-up connection and no burner?
No. I have a connection on campus. Very fast. Burner in the next room.

I'd be shocked if Apple made it a download. Maybe for ADC people but not for the public. I hope no one's pissed off when there isn't a download!

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2000, 06:01 PM

As an ADC Member, I can tell you it won't be available as a download to us. I was told ADC members would get it on CD, along with a CD of "extra goodies" to enhance my experience and development for Mac OS X. (What ever that means!)

------------------
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

thoth
Sep 10, 2000, 04:39 AM

-quote-
As an ADC Member, I can tell you it won't be available as a download to us. I was told ADC members would
get it on CD, along with a CD of "extra goodies" to enhance my experience and development for Mac OS X.
(What ever that means!)
-quote-

ok..so ADCers get a CD with goodies, what about us poorass wannabe osx dev peeps?

IEEE1394
Sep 10, 2000, 05:12 AM

Even if Apple is selling it, isn't it inevitable a Hotline download will be available?

------------------
Why 1394 won't be like "1394".

Cipher13
Sep 10, 2000, 05:40 AM

There are already Hotline D/L's of DP4 available, I give it less than 6 hours after PB is actually recieved by the people that there will be plenty of copies floating around for download...

Cipher13

mac freak
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2000, 11:47 PM

Listen people--
Mac OS X PB is free software. FREE. If you pay for a CD, the money you are paying is for the CD, shipping, and whatever else it may include. And thus, Apple has no way to legally stop the availability of this free software on Hotline, Carracho, or IRC. That's just the way it is, unless Apple decides to be like M$ and charge 50 bucks for the beta (like they did with Windows 98). And even if THAT is the case, it will, in no way, stop me from downloading my copy, seeing that ordering from Apple won't, be... um... a "fast" or "quick" process, per se...
Be happy.

Cipher13
Sep 10, 2000, 11:54 PM

Although its supposedly freeware, Apple wouldn't want anyone distributing it without permission...
They could always say 'no, we were charging 15$ for the software, and giving away the CD's and taking care of S&H ourselves...'
They're a bunch of control freaks...
I think even if it is marked as being freeware, they are still allowed to control its distribution...
Not that any of that will stop it being widely available...

Cipher13

smeghead
Sep 11, 2000, 01:50 AM

there is a big difference between "freeware," which os x beta is not btw, and "public domain," which os x also is not.

just because a piece of somtware is given out free does not mean that the "owner" of the product cannot retain rights to its distribution etc.

this beta release is a preview of a commercial product, and apple can (and should) control and distribute it as they see fit.

of course it'll be on hotline servers on wednesday...but that will be just as "illegal" as the copies of dp4 that are there...

Cliffy2000
Sep 11, 2000, 09:48 AM

Mr. 100% Jimmy! What's up? I agree with you. But I think that the nature of the Public Beta is as follows:
--From my AI post--
The very standards that we are assuming OS X PB will comply to are that of Darwin and DP4. Thus, we are assuming that the installer will be the same. Why does it have to be separate partitions? Given the nature of the HFS+ filesystem, couldn't Apple figure out a way to create an installer that did not require a CD? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it's feasable, given the nature of Apple's progress thus far. But it should not be a given that DP4's installer is the same (or at least similar) to the PB.
--End AI Post--
-Petey!

Hoot
Sep 11, 2000, 11:01 AM

Cliffy2000

DP4 did NOT require a separate partition.

If choose to, there is no technical reason they can't have an installer that can be downloaded and installed from the same disk, wither.

itomato
Sep 11, 2000, 03:44 PM

The Public Beta will be this:

It will be a cd with a complete OS X filesystem on it. You will be able to either run it from CD or copy it to your HD, a la Linux PPC Live..

Read-only either way, I think.

It will only be 150 - 200 MB, as OPENSTEP for Mach was only that size installed.. I imagine it more as a demo, than a beta release..

Forum Links
Forum Rules