Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > File Sharing from Mac to PC? Help, please!

File Sharing from Mac to PC? Help, please!
WinsOBoogi
Senior User
Jan 1, 2002, 10:11 PM

how can i set up a link between my Toshiba satellite notebook and my beige G3 so that I can share files via crossover cable? The PC is running windows 2000. I need to know how to do this in both os9 and os x on the mac.

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2002, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by WinsOBoogi:
<STRONG>how can i set up a link between my Toshiba satellite notebook and my beige G3 so that I can share files via crossover cable? The PC is running windows 2000. I need to know how to do this in both os9 and os x on the mac.</STRONG>
There are several ways to do this. I'll suggest some of the easier ones...

1. Use ftp. The easiest way would probably be to enable IIS on the 2k machine, and start the ftp service. You could then up and download file from the mac in both 9 and X.
2. You can use a file sharing app such as hotline.
3. You can enable microsoft file sharing and share folders/drives on the 2k machine. To connect to these shares in X, you simply use connect to server (command-K) in the go menu in the finder and type
smb://192.168.0.1/share name
replace 192... with whatever the IP address if the 2k machine wold be. To access this from OS 9 you would need some other software (such as dave).

Scrod
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2002, 02:21 AM

jtc, you completely skipped over how to create a TCP/IP network between the two machines. WinsOBoogi, a sure-fire, bullet-proof way to do this is to specify the same subnet mask and router for both machines. For example, machine 1 would have an IP address of 192.168.1.1, a router of 192.168.1.1, and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Machine 2 would have an IP address of 192.168.1.2, and the same subnet mask and router (255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.1, respectively).
At this point, you can use any TCP/IP file transfer program to share files. If you're connecting to an OS X machine, the fastest way would actually be to turn on the ftp server on the Mac, and then, assuming the Mac's IP address was 192.168.1.1, type in ftp://[email protected] into an Explorer window on the PC. You would then be able to drag and drop (for the most part) any files you wanted to share between the two computers.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Scrod ]
I abused my signature until she cried.

Cipher13
Jan 2, 2002, 02:26 AM

Meh, use Hotline.

Just remember, any files you move from the Mac to the wintel (well, some files; applications, disk images, etc) will be destroyed (lose their resource fork).

Burpethead
Jan 2, 2002, 02:32 AM

Im Network + Certified and if your lucky enough to have OS X, that has a built in NetBEUI client. NetBEUI is a microsoft protocol used in windows. To use NetBEUI on your wintel machine, go into the network control panel and install the NetBEUI protocol, im sure you can figure it out. Then on your wintel machine, set up Share-Level sevurity in Windows Explorer (right click on the start menu) and set a folder youd like to share files with. Then on your OS X machine with the crossover cable, simply do command-k in the finder, click local network, and you should see your wintel machine, i hope that works.

Scrod
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2002, 02:36 AM

Actually, Burpethead, the server browser in the Finder in OS X doesn't browse SMB shares--only AFP servers. jtc's suggestion is what would be needed in this case.
I abused my signature until she cried.

Burpethead
Jan 2, 2002, 03:26 PM

alright, ive never tried my way before, i just saw somewhere that OS X has a built in NetBEUI Clent, so i assumed it could browse SMB servers. My bust, homes

Forum Links
Forum Rules