Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Systems Items that No Longer Function in OS9.1

Systems Items that No Longer Function in OS9.1
dbogdan
Jan 1, 2001, 03:56 PM

I recently did a "dirty" install of OS9.1 over OS 9.0.4 and am overall quite excited and pleased by the performance and stqability. There are a few things that no longer work, however, and I am puzzled as to why.

Whenever I try to launch Apple's "Calculator" from the Apple Menu Items folder, I get a message that there isn't enough memory available (even when nothing but the system is running and I have "gobs of memory available") and that I should allocate more memory to the "application". That would be great except there is no option to allocate more memory to the Calculator program...

Also, the Apple Help program consistently freezes up the CPU whenever it is launched. Either that or it quits, giving the dreaded "Type 2 error", suggesting I restart my computer. I did a customized reinstall of both of them, but continue to have the same reactions.

Neither of these apps are heavyweights in my mind, and I can do quite well without them, but I was wondering if anyone else has had sporadic or chronic problems launching any other Apple apps under this new system.

Any suggestions? Anyone else out there "in the cold" with regards to OS9.1 and non-responsive apps?

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2001, 06:40 PM

Here's my set up, B&W G3 350MHz upgraded to a PowerLogix G3 550MHz. I aslo did the install on top of OS 9.0.4, using 9.1 GM. There are 3 very important things that are broke:

1. My PowerLogix G3 cache INIT does not load at start up, the Mac hangs. If I disable it, the Mac starts up fine, but the backside cache is set wrong.
2. With my built in Zip drive, and Iomega's software, and File Exchange enabled, I am no longer able to format my zip disks so they are able to be read on Windows, (Dos Format). The option to format the zip disk for Windows is not there.
3. When I open the "new" Start Up Disk control panel, it crashes, 9 outa 10 times.

Maybe a clean install is forth coming

Cipher13
Jan 1, 2001, 06:44 PM

What vers of 9.1 are you running?
I'm running f6, and haven't had a single problem with it. None of those problems either.
However, I didn't install over 9.0.4 - I installed on a seperate partition that used to have OSX.
Actually at the time it DID have OSX as well...
Try doing a clean install like that...

Cipher13

dbogdan  (op)
Jan 1, 2001, 08:57 PM

I believe I'm running the GM version, as when I go to get info, all I see is OS9.1; same when I click on the System file itself...
I'm on a Charcoal Summer Y2K iMac DVSE with 256MEG of RAM (currently utilizing Virtual Memory -- don't ask me why!!)

I, too, had sporadic issues with the PowerLogic G3 cache init, but it was hit or miss whether it would freeze or not, so I just uninstalled it. I haven't had any problems with the "new startup disk" CP, however, as it has worked beautifully in helping me to switch between OSXPB and OS9.1 (on separate partitions).

Since my issues are pretty minor, I can do without a clean install for the time being, but that's a good suggestion if I discover any other "unpleasantries" inherent in OS9.1. Thanks for the advice, Cipher13

BTW, Bugs, how's the weather up there in my old stompin' grounds? Got enuff snow? (LOL)

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2001, 09:11 PM

GM 9.1 here also, I'm just not into a clean install at the moment, but I have 3 drives on this Mac, and I'm gonna try a complete install on one of the empty drives.

dbogdan, the weather here bites the big one, not alot of snow, but it's freakin' cold. Upstate NY sucks big time. I hear it's not quite that warm down south either.

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2001, 01:12 PM

It is quite simple and I was lazy and did a dirty install as well from OS 9.0.4 to 9.1 GM. Things work fine, but I then noticed that the keychain and software control panel did not function. I went through a battery of exploring and trying to see why some features, noted up to date with the get info and 9.1 being the OS, extension, etc.

Well, I decised to back up my files and do a reformat and install everything new. Now my sytem is running quite well and I am happy with a clean machine :-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules