Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Desktop Pic Prob

Desktop Pic Prob
Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2000, 12:51 AM

Whenever i restart, the new desktop picture i have put in dosent load, only the backround pattern does. The picture is saved and everything in the apeatance control panel, and when i try to load it manually form the control panel the same thig happens, only the backround pattern laods. Anyon know how i can fix this?

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2000, 03:26 AM

What format is the image file you are trying to use as a background image? I know you can use PICT, TIFF and JPEG as well as a few others I don't remember...but there are some formats you cannot use, like I believe BMP is one you cannot use.

George Orville
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2000, 02:26 PM

I have been using Decor for the last two years..... Decor will launch a new pix at every start or restart..... You can set it to change the desktop pix at different intervals..........I got mine to change pix at every 60 seconds.....You can find it at version Tracker or at..........
http://www.pauillac.inria.fr/~fpottier
bigbiker

Jsnuff1  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2000, 03:00 PM

its a jpeg picture

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2000, 12:53 PM

My only guess is you're not 'setting the picture' after 'placing the picture' in the Appearance control panel.

Matt

bleen
Senior User
Dec 23, 2000, 08:46 PM

"George Orville" if you want to change your picture every time on start up you can with OS 8.5 and above w/ out the need of some 3rd party Extension.

Just take the folder you have that you want to have picture be desktop pictures drag it into the "Desktop Preview" in the Desktop tab of the Appearence Control panel. It will show a picture it chose to be the desktop picture. Every time you restart you get a new picture to be a Desktop Image.

In OS X You can't do this... yet, I sent in a request form to Apple to bring it back though, and to have the option to have it change after a cetrain amount of time. I mean why have a 3rd party extension run, when Apple will/can do it for you

Jsnuff1  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2000, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by MacMatt:
My only guess is you're not 'setting the picture' after 'placing the picture' in the Appearance control panel.

Matt
yep your right, after i saved the picture in the conrol panel, i thought that all you had to do and i dealeted the actuall jpeg file, i guess the systms uses the atcuall jpeg file to load the destop pic

George Orville
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2000, 09:23 PM

Hi Bleen,
anoither Orange co resident in Calif........ You did not read all of my post or you didn't understand the post........As I stated before, Decor does everything that the Appearance control panel does and adds one big feature............

. You can select the frequency in which to change the desktop picture which you cannot do with OS 8.5/8.6!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way where do you live in Orange Co.?
bigbiker

bleen
Senior User
Dec 24, 2000, 10:04 PM

I did I just recomended to Request it to be added to Desktop Pictures area for OS X.

I'm in Mission Viejo.

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2001, 08:31 PM

I have always saved my desktop pictures/wall paper as a pict resource file and I have not had and difficulties. That is what Macs have always recognized as the standard for the OS like .bmp for windows or meta file, etc. Other than that, if there is an appearance prefernce: Thrash it and restart and try to place the pict once more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules