Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9.0.4 and disk format

Mac OS 9.0.4 and disk format
jfdonahue
Dec 26, 2000, 09:43 PM

I am trying to format an external USB hard drive in a DOS format on my Mac. When I select the hard drive and go to the special menu and click on "erase", my only choices for formatting are Mac OS standard or Mac OS extended. Am I missing something? I used to be able to format a drive as a DOS drive when I was running Mac OS 8.6. Is this no longer available in OS 9?

Cipher13
Dec 27, 2000, 03:50 AM

Use Drive Setup (in your Utilities folder) to format the disk instead.

Cipher13

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2000, 05:20 AM

I think you are missing File Exchange or some bizzare Control Panel that I haven't used since my IIvx days...so yeah, what Cipher said...if u do find the CP i'm talking about, let me know...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Cipher13
Dec 27, 2000, 05:57 AM

Hey dude, good to see ya back!
I just went to format my OSX partition (hehe, absent of OSX), and it wouldn't let me choose DOS as the format either.
Must just be an OS9 issue
Use Drive Setup, that'll work.

Cipher13

jfdonahue  (op)
Dec 27, 2000, 09:59 AM

I tried Drive Setup and it reported that my USB drive was "unsupported" and could not be initialized. Any other ideas?

Richard Clark
Senior User
Dec 29, 2000, 04:35 PM

Check to see if the USB drivers for the HD have been updated.

Also you could restart your machine from an older Operating System CD and try to format.

Best of luck to you!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2000, 09:27 PM

You may also want to check into USB extensions. When I couldn't format a Firewire HD from ClubMac, their tech support immediately guided me to the fact that (even with OS 9.0.4) my Firewire Ext was not sufficiently up-to-date. Your hard disk's tech support may have some similar clues with USB.
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

Forum Links
Forum Rules