Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > control strip vanishing act.

control strip vanishing act.
marc riede
Jan 3, 2001, 12:39 AM

Okay, it seemed for a long time that my control strip would just disappear whenever it felt like it for no reason at all. But then I started to pay attention and it seems Disk First Aid 8.6 is the culprit: Whenever I run it, it hides the control strip.

Does it have to do this? It's a minor itch, but one I'd rather not have to scratch every day.

Anyone got an idea?

Thanks, marc.

marc riede
Jan 3, 2001, 12:42 AM

Sorry, just saw another 'control strip' thread down the page.

I've tried some of the stuff mentioned there but nothing seems to change DFA's ways.

Richard Clark
Senior User
Jan 3, 2001, 12:50 PM

Is the option to hide the control strip with hot key enabled? That could be helping with the problem. Has Norton Utilties or Tech Tool been run?

Has the preferences to the control strip and Disk First Aid been deleted. Fresh preferences might help.

Best of luck to you!

------------------
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2001, 06:57 PM

Is it just hidden, or does it actually require you to restart it? Also, does it happen when you click "Verify" or "Repair" in DFA? If when you click "Repair" then its because DFA has to shut all other apps to repair the HD, including the Control Strip.

marc riede
Jan 3, 2001, 07:58 PM

Richard:�

I always have it set to �show control strip� which means that the �hot key� section is ghosted [current hot key = command+control+s].

First thing I did was trash control strip prefs and have just gone looking for DFA�s prefs: I don�t seem to have any.

Haven�t got Norton. Tech Tool only goes up to OS9 [Eng / International] at present.

Hobbes:

I have to go back to the control panel and hit the �show control strip� button every time I repair with DFA.

I�ve never bothered verifying [not even sure what that means]. I just figured if I�m going to run the thing, it might as well do the lot straight up.

And yes, I knew that DFA closed all apps but I never thought the control strip was an app.

Cheers, marc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules