Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Photo Gallery thread

The Photo Gallery thread (Page 2)
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2007, 04:41 PM

Thanks. Yeah, they are all over the place down here in Miami. I took that shot with a point and shoot, Canon SD550. Has a nice little macro feature. No control over it, but it gets the job done for subjects like that. I'm achin' for a DSLR, though.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 14, 2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by climber
Can we please stop with the attitude?
Pot, meet kettle.
I am glad that you spend all that effort on all your beautiful photos. Occasionally I am lucky enough to manage a photo worthy enough.
Try harder.
I think your statement is not accurate, for where most people go to have their photos printed.
I am not talking about most people. Most people shop at wal-mart and use windows computers.

If you want to be like most people, go ahead. I'll take a differenet path.

But that was not my point. If the printer assumes the sRGB and you give them aRGB your prints will be awful. That is what happens if you take your CD and print them at most kiosks.
Like most people?

The same thing happens on the web. Hence if in doubt about their abilities give them sRGB. Is that not accurate? Or is everyone an idiot if they don't take or send their files at a high end lab that knows color spaces.
The web is completely different and that's not what I was talking about.

They are average. I guess there's nothing wrong with that.

Most any printer will do a "better job" with aRGB, including ones at home as long as things are set up correctly.
That is of course because the Gamut is larger.
FUD. It's narrower. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...obeRGB1998.htm

Originally Posted by WOPR View Post
OK guys no more nastiness in my thread of joy please!

/spreads the love
I don't know what climber's problem is, he attacked a picture of mine in another thread as well for no reason. He seems obsessed and wants to argue with me about photography lately.

Sorry, I'll stop now.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 14, 2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
That's a nice photo MindFad. I've never seen one of those before.
I thought everyone had those growing up, I used to be scared of them and called them 'sun spiders'!

Being in Florida I'm surprised. Go outside and look left!
ice

climber
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2007, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Pot, meet kettle.
Try harder.
I am not talking about most people. Most people shop at wal-mart and use windows computers.
If you want to be like most people, go ahead. I'll take a differenet path.
Like most people?
The web is completely different and that's not what I was talking about.
They are average. I guess there's nothing wrong with that.
FUD. It's narrower. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...obeRGB1998.htm
I don't know what climber's problem is, he attacked a picture of mine in another thread as well for no reason. He seems obsessed and wants to argue with me about photography lately.
Sorry, I'll stop now.
Go check your own link. aRGB is a HIGHER gamut than sRGB. Everyone knows that. Apparently even you, given your preference to work in it. Re-read what I posted. I stated that aRGB was better.

You recommended using aRGB for printing. I agree, as long as the printer is set up to handle the file. Unfortunately way to many photo labs are not. Don't blame me, It pretty much drives me nuts. I hate sRGB, it was a stupid idea by a crappy software company called Microsoft. It was they who forced that mediocre/poor color space on the world.
climber

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2007, 01:14 AM

I have a flickr account, though I rarely use it. Link I really hate my camera.

Atomic Rooster
Feb 15, 2007, 01:15 AM

Pot, meet kettle.

Sorry, I'll stop now.
Perhaps maybe you are the problem. You've been yimmering and yammering all through the thread.

I wanted to see some of your pix but couldn't find them in this thread which is a thread to post pix.

I don't have the means to post pix but I like other people's stuffs. I've seen some good stuffs here by jeezuz.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 15, 2007, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by climber View Post
Go check your own link. aRGB is a HIGHER gamut than sRGB. Everyone knows that. Apparently even you, given your preference to work in it. Re-read what I posted. I stated that aRGB was better.

You recommended using aRGB for printing. I agree, as long as the printer is set up to handle the file. Unfortunately way to many photo labs are not. Don't blame me, It pretty much drives me nuts. I hate sRGB, it was a stupid idea by a crappy software company called Microsoft. It was they who forced that mediocre/poor color space on the world.
My apologies. I mistakenly read aRGB as sRGB in your post.

I am glad we are in agreement now.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 15, 2007, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Perhaps maybe you are the problem. You've been yimmering and yammering all through the thread.
I'm glad you're here to play nice as well. I mean all out of the blue and the like, Almost like your following me around or searching for my posts. It's funny that this comment is your first post in this thread. Very telling.

Kevin, can you issue this man a fanboi card?

I wanted to see some of your pix but couldn't find them in this thread which is a thread to post pix.
Almost all of my web galleries have my contact info on them.

There are a couple people on here who creep me out and obsess about me and I don't want them to have my personal info. [see comment above]

I don't have the means to post pix but I like other people's stuffs. I've seen some good stuffs here by jeezuz.
Sure...

Nice little cover comment. "I don't have the means...." Nice.

Atomic Rooster
Feb 15, 2007, 01:32 AM

You are a very rude person Railroader.

Please don't ruin this thread.

Keep the pix coming guys.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2007, 03:06 AM

Right, has everybody grown up now? Can we get back to some pictures please?

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Railroader
Banned
Feb 15, 2007, 08:05 AM

You are a very rude person Railroader.

Please don't ruin this thread.

Keep the pix coming guys.
Ah, the irony.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 15, 2007, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by WOPR View Post
Right, has everybody grown up now? Can we get back to some pictures please?
Now I have. My apologies again.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2007, 08:19 AM

You may settle for substandard work, but I don't. I only work with shops that know what they are doing. I certainly won't have my pictures developed at Wal-Mart.

Most places will actually send you their ICC profile so you can work in their machines gamut. I only deal with shops that will do that.

And most printers at home will do a better job with Adobe 1998 than with sRGB.
Well in my experience you get better rusults when printing to Fuji Frontiers (which 95% of the labs use these days) with sRGB than with Adobe RGB. When they convert to their printer profile they tend to use some sort of weirdo conversion method that cuts off a lot of colours and doesn't remap them correctly. Using the smaller sRGB gamut reduces this problem when printing to a minilab.
All of this is irrelevant if you have a lab where they know what they're doing. But sadly most labs just press the print button.

You should always use the printer's machine profile if you can get it. But even then.. sometimes they tend to switch paper types without changing their profile, which messes things up and gives inconsistent results.

Ah well, I always wanted to make a little gallery site but I never did it. Maybe I'll take a stab at it one of these days.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Railroader
Banned
Mar 2, 2007, 09:37 PM

OK, this is my last reply about color gamuts. I PROMISE!

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Using the smaller sRGB gamut reduces this problem when printing to a minilab.
Agreed.
All of this is irrelevant if you have a lab where they know what they're doing. But sadly most labs just press the print button.
Agreed.
You should always use the printer's machine profile if you can get it. But even then.. sometimes they tend to switch paper types without changing their profile, which messes things up and gives inconsistent results.
Now that sucks!

Now, back on topic:

A small flickr gallery that I put together.

It has a few pictures from clients and some from just messing around. I've never been much of a landscape or "artsy" photographer. I am more of a portrait photographer.

It also holds my eBay pictures.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2007, 02:46 PM

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2007, 05:46 PM

http://web.mac.com/caldrich/

Some of my work from 2006, some New England, some Australia/NZ...

C

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by cla214 View Post
Great shots, also nice website - was that done in iweb - looks very slick and polished
Michael

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2007, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Great shots, also nice website - was that done in iweb - looks very slick and polished
Thanks. the slideshow script is one that I found on a photo site - would have to go digging to come up with the name, but I like it because it's relatively simple, but also looks nice.

C

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2007, 10:51 PM

Thanks. the slideshow script is one that I found on a photo site - would have to go digging to come up with the name, but I like it because it's relatively simple, but also looks nice.

C
Yeah it really adds a nice touch to the site
Michael

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 6, 2007, 11:57 PM

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 08:48 PM

nice

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2007, 02:44 AM

I finally got around to updating my photoblog a couple of weeks ago. Lots of Thailand and Cambodia pictures. Plus a whole lot of Domokun.

Photos

Leave a comment if you find him super cute. I know you want to.

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2007, 02:13 PM

http://web.mac.com/caldrich/

Some of my work from 2006, some New England, some Australia/NZ...

C
Very nice. Do you have any of your camera settings logged for any of the shots on your website?

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bax23 View Post
Very nice. Do you have any of your camera settings logged for any of the shots on your website?
Thanks for looking! I have all the settings for anything on the website, the gallery app I'm using doesn't let you grab the jpgs (which I like), or look at the exif data (which is a bummer). If you had a question about specific images, I'm happy to share the settings I used with you.

C

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2007, 08:15 PM

They are all great but eight stand out to me. Harbour Bridge 1 and 2, Opera House, Kata Tjuta Sunset, Uluru, Golden Clouds 1 and 2, and Philbin Beach Grass 1. Obviously, timing (as in time of day) is very important, but have you done any post processing on these? Either way, they are great. I often see the shots, but am unsure of the settings I need to capture what my eye sees.

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bax23 View Post
They are all great but eight stand out to me. Harbour Bridge 1 and 2, Opera House, Kata Tjuta Sunset, Uluru, Golden Clouds 1 and 2, and Philbin Beach Grass 1. Obviously, timing (as in time of day) is very important, but have you done any post processing on these? Either way, they are great. I often see the shots, but am unsure of the settings I need to capture what my eye sees.
Harbour Bridge 1&2: the fog was definitely a cool site, and not a very frequent thing in sydney. i got lucky and happened to be in the right place at the right time. Settings for both shots were f/8, 1/1000 @ 24mm

Opera House: this was just after sunset, hence the rich blues in the sky. F/22, 30sec exposure @ 19mm

Kata Tjuta: another just after the sun dropped. f/2.8, 1/125 @ 50mm

Uluru: shot just before the sun rose. f/7.2, 1.6sec @ 10mm

Golden Clouds 1&2: these were fiji, so the sunsets were naturally pretty spectacular. same settings for both shots - f/7.1, 1/100 @ 10mm

Philbin: late afternoon, waiting for the sun to set - f/14, 1/25 @ 17mm

... anyway, basically you've hit the most important thing (for the kind of photography i like to do at least), the light & therefore the time of day. beyond that, the best part about digital is the ability to experiment with different apertures/shutter speeds/isos so easily.

as for post processing, I always shoot in RAW, so there is always some post processing required. I stick to the basics (color temp, brightness, contrast etc), and then do a quick levels tweak in photoshop before outputting for the web or print.

C

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2007, 12:48 AM

So, anyone got any new shots? I've added a few and installed a new PixelPost template on my own gallery.

Linky

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 7, 2007, 11:24 AM

New shots? All the time:

"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Demonhood
Administrator
May 7, 2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by cszar2001 View Post
New shots? All the time:

ha! excellent.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by cszar2001 View Post
Beautiful shot. I'm a sucker for highly-contrasted B&W photos.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 7, 2007, 03:46 PM

Thanks.
Infrared and BW is a killer combination.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2007, 03:50 PM

Is that digital infrared or shot on film?

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 8, 2007, 02:17 AM

Digital. Nikon D70 with Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D and a Hoya R72.
Shot in RAW - converted with Capture One.

Me on Flickr.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2007, 10:19 AM

Very nice. I am jonesing after a new DSLR, but we've just bought a new house and my wife would not be amused if I'd come home with expensive electronic toys. I'll test my old Olympus for infrared sensitivity one of these days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules