Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nikon or Canon

Nikon or Canon
earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2007, 09:58 PM

For an SLR camera, which is better, Nikon or Canon?

alligator
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2007, 10:04 PM

Whichever one you already have lenses for.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2007, 10:30 PM

Presumably, since he's asking, he doesn't already have any....

I've hard good things about Nikon from animators. I'm not sure of the details, but supposedly it's good for doing stop motion stuff. Beyond that, I really don't know.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 11, 2007, 10:41 PM

This is one of those quasi-religious questions... I am a Canon man myself-and I'm still ticked that they never came out with a digital back for my A1 (for which I have a few really nice lenses). But like digital SLRs, it depends on what you're comfortable with and what features you use and depend on; while some features are almost identical, others are quite different.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2007, 11:12 PM

I have been completely happy with my d80. I ended up getting two lenses for it: the 18-200 VR and the 50mm f1.8. I used the zoom with vibration reduction for almost everything, but love the fast 1.8 for low light situations.

I actually based most of my purchasing decisions on the lenses I wanted, more than the d80 itself.

You will be happy with either brand, however. The best advice I was given was pick the brand that has the best lenses, accessories, warranties, etc. Camera bodies in a given price range are all pretty comparable, and you will keep lenses a lot longer than bodies anyway.

Good luck!!!

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2007, 11:20 PM

I agree, this is one of those topics that everyone has an opinion on.

I too prefer Canon. I currently own a Rebel Xti, which is great.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
This is one of those quasi-religious questions... I am a Canon man myself-and I'm still ticked that they never came out with a digital back for my A1 (for which I have a few really nice lenses). But like digital SLRs, it depends on what you're comfortable with and what features you use and depend on; while some features are almost identical, others are quite different.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 11, 2007, 11:29 PM

Pentax.

Seriously, they are pretty equal. Canon products are easier to find I have always had very good luck with their customer service. That's why I went Canon.

And in truthfulness, Pentax is now a major contender as they have added IS to the camera body.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Mar 11, 2007, 11:46 PM

Canon.

At work, my fellow photographer is shooting a Canon EOS-1D Mark III. I'm shooting a Nikon D2Hs. The color quality coming out of the Canon is far superior to the D2Hs.

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by keekeeree View Post
Canon.

At work, my fellow photographer is shooting a Canon EOS-1D Mark III. I'm shooting a Nikon D2Hs. The color quality coming out of the Canon is far superior to the D2Hs.
Can you post comparison shots if possible? I found there to be no difference between the two, but I was looking at images with post production.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Mar 12, 2007, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by James L View Post
Can you post comparison shots if possible? I found there to be no difference between the two, but I was looking at images with post production.
I'll see what I can do. Our paths won't cross until Wednesday, so it won't be for a few days.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
but supposedly it's good for doing stop motion stuff.
The animators of The Corpse Bride actually chose a Canon 1Ds mkII over Nikon despite the fact that all their lenses where Nikon mount.

For me, I'll stick with Canon (30D). But I don't think brand is that big of a deal these days. Every camera has its strengths and weaknesses compared to other cameras, go with what feels good in your hands and what you can take good pictures with.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by keekeeree View Post
Canon.

1D Mark III is not on sale yet.
iamwhor3hay

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2007, 06:33 AM

okay, sorry if this sidetracks. if you could choose just ONE non pocket camera for your photography use the rest of your life. what would it be? price doesnt matter. your, *drool* if you had it camera (including lenses)

-a

^ that's for everyone

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2007, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
The animators of The Corpse Bride actually chose a Canon 1Ds mkII over Nikon despite the fact that all their lenses where Nikon mount.

For me, I'll stick with Canon (30D). But I don't think brand is that big of a deal these days. Every camera has its strengths and weaknesses compared to other cameras, go with what feels good in your hands and what you can take good pictures with.
AFAIK they used a Canon body with an F-mount adapter and Nikkors.

Nikkors > Canon lenses. Don't buy into that L-lens religion. They're great but aren't the end all be all of lenses.

I think that Nikons have superior ergonimics compared to Canons... But in the end it just boils down to preference and what lenses you have and even more importantly what lenses you like. The more yellowish Canon color cast or the more blue Nikkors.

As said, take a good look at Pentax. My Super Takumars that I used to own were among the best lenses I've ever owned.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2007, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
okay, sorry if this sidetracks. if you could choose just ONE non pocket camera for your photography use the rest of your life. what would it be? price doesnt matter. your, *drool* if you had it camera (including lenses)

-a

^ that's for everyone
Probably the Nikon D200 with the detachable vertical grip. I'm a Nikon man and I've got Nikon glass. I've owned an F5 in the past and the weight and size of a D2 would start to annoy me after some time just like the F5. The F5 was the best camera ever but it was just too heavy to lug around all day long imho.

design219
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2007, 07:59 AM

I started with Nikon in the late 70s and the lenses still mount on my newest digitals. Back then, I had to decide between the Canon F1 and the Nikon F2. The reputation of the lenses swayed me then, but if I was starting today, I can't say I wouldn't look hard at what Canon has to offer. That being said, I am very very satisfied with the Nikon equipment I'm using now.

For a long time I stuck with film because of Nikon's lack of a full-frame (35mm relative) option, but once I started shooting with the new format, I quickley realized that it just isn't an issue. It has taken a bit to get used to thinking of focal lengths differently, but again, not a problem.

I'm using mostly a D200. I also have a Horseman 4x5 studio view with Nikkor lenses.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 08:02 AM

I'm a nikon fan, before I took the plunge a few years ago, I checked both Canon and Nikon cameras. The construction and feel of then Nikon felt superior to that of the Canon, I also read some reviews that Nikon glass is top notch so I was more interested in getting quality lenses. I've not been disappointed with the camera or lenses.
Michael

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2007, 08:05 AM

I was intending to get a 30D, but my father in law offered me a few lenses for Nikon (18-70 mm and a 70-300) and told me I could use his 18-200 VR, 80-400 VR, 12-24, and macro lenses any time I needed them. So I went with a D80 with vertical grip. At first I couldn't get over the differing controls of the camera, but now Canons feel weird. I suggest holding which ever cameras you are considering buying. Whether or not it is comfortable should be a major consideration. I wouldn't own the D80 without the grip, it is just too small without it for my hands.
SAm

OreoCookie
Mar 12, 2007, 09:02 AM

You should try both as both companies have a different UI approach. It's a matter of taste … and I happen to prefer Nikons. I also think Nikons feel sturdier, although that point is moot for anything above the 350D (aka Rebel XTi)/D50.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2007, 10:11 AM

My personal preference lies with Nikon.
Growing up I always used my Dad's Nikon SLR and when the time came for me to buy a DSLR I went with the D50. I really like the Nikons.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2007, 12:01 PM

I'll throw my hat in for Nikon. I have a canon Point and shoot that works great(S45), but when I wanted an SLR, I went for the D50. The body felt much sturdier than that Rebel to me. The Rebel felt a bit cheap and the grip felt too small for my hand.

There were other factors as well, but in the end it's less about the camera and more about the person using it, at least in terms of the quality of shots you get in the end. I have a friend who shoots professionally for magazines and has his shots in galleries and such and half the time he's just using a point and shoot.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2007, 12:20 PM

Until recently, I’ve always had point and shoot cameras (Olympus and Sony). A couple of years ago, I started looking at getting an SLR. It was right after the original digital Rebel came out. It felt a little cheap to me. Later when I made the plunge, I got a Nikon D50 with a 28-80 kit lens. However, my wife just bought me the 18-200 VR for my birthday!! Unfortunately, the lens is backordered for months. I can’t wait to get the new lens.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2007, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
However, my wife just bought me the 18-200 VR for my birthday!! Unfortunately, the lens is backordered for months. I can’t wait to get the new lens.
That is a real nice lens. The fact that Nikon has had it back ordered for so long is kinda sad. That particular back order was one factor towards my thinking of getting a Canon. I noticed that Sigma is coming out with a 18-200 OS lens. I would rather have the Nikon for my D80, but at this point I figure the Sigma will be more widely available first.
SAm

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2007, 12:53 PM

My brother is a professional photog. He started with Nikon. Then he started working for a newspaper, and couldn't help but notice that every professional photog he dealt with ran canon. That wasn't just coincidence. He now has 2 canon DSLRs. They just seem to produce a better picture for him. (His Nikon was getting mechanically finicky too, though after taking 75,000 shots I guess that's bound to happen. )

That said, the Nikons are perfectly good cameras. If you are starting, you really can't go wrong with either company's offerings.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2007, 02:38 PM

I like the way nikon is built, i had a friend leave one in the rain overnight, it worked perfectly, and they can be dropped, Ive seen that on numerous occasions. I don't know how canon does with either of these things, but I am not willing to buy one and try it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2007, 04:44 PM

Nikons are more sturdy. To my hands my aunt's Nikon is very good sized. I think her Canon SLR is a bit more bulky as well as a has a bit harder interface to use. However, I think that the Canon takes slightly better picture.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2007, 05:04 PM

Point and Shoot: Cannon (no questions)
High End: You choose... whatever you feel works...

tie
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2007, 05:19 PM

Nikon D80 for me. Much better interface in every way (controls, viewfinder, ..) than the Canon 400d. I hear the Canon 30d has a better interface though.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

earthlings  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
I'm a nikon fan, before I took the plunge a few years ago, I checked both Canon and Nikon cameras. The construction and feel of then Nikon felt superior to that of the Canon, I also read some reviews that Nikon glass is top notch so I was more interested in getting quality lenses. I've not been disappointed with the camera or lenses.
The glass? Do you mean when you take a picture of a piece of glass?

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Whichever one you already have lenses for.
I don't have any lenses yet.

Originally Posted by sknapp351 View Post
... I suggest holding which ever cameras you are considering buying. Whether or not it is comfortable should be a major consideration. I wouldn't own the D80 without the grip, it is just too small without it for my hands.
SAm
Good advice. I'll have to go somewhere to test them out. Then probably order it off of amazon.

earthlings  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2007, 07:42 PM

I really wanted something small that would fit in your pocket like the Canon SD600+ models, but then again, I want something with a optical zoom around 10 or so. My price range will be up to $700 on a SLR camera.

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 07:52 PM

i went with pentax since i had some old lenses which work with the new dslr. but you can't go wrong with either canon or nikon. try them out and go with whichever feels right to you.
one post closer to five stars

earthlings  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2007, 08:00 PM

Never thought of looking into Pentax.

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 08:10 PM

i bought this one pentax k100d. it was just over $500 with the kit lens.
if you're looking at photography as a profession, canon or nikon will have a greater variety of add-ons (lenses, flashes, etc.).
one post closer to five stars

nerd
Senior User
Mar 12, 2007, 11:24 PM

I have a Canon 20d and love it. Just to repeat what others have said, it's a religious type thing. My buying decision was based on some long exposure photos I saw the 20d do. At the time it seemed to have the least noisy sensor but I'll admit I didn't research it closely.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 05:22 AM

Also take a look at the second hand market for lenses. There is absolutely no point in buying lenses new. If they're taken care of they never break. I've bought a new lens only once (Micro Nikkor 60mm), well actually I didn't. It was a birthday present but I chipped in a bit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules